Biggest surprise?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Biggest surprise?

Postby hortle » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:17 am

If you watch Patton when he's hitting the glass, you can tell he's still learning to fully utilize that wingspan. Its an area of his game that has already improved since the start of the season, but he still has a ways to go. His defense is pretty good but he needs to keep improving his body and improving his awareness and positioning. He is a physical specimen but not in the area of strength. I like what I've seen from him shot blocking-wise, and I think he has the potential to be make an impact in that regard at the next level. Right now he's best trying to put the ball in the hoop. In this regard, its scary how capable he's proven to be. He's a big part of the reason why this year's team can completely abandon the 3 pt shot if we aren't hitting the broad side of a barn. This year's team relies on buckets in the paint and I think that shift in offensive strategy will be valuable come tournament time.
hortle

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby cu blujs » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:39 am

Bill Marsh wrote:It was CU Blu Js who got this discussion started by saying that Patton's rebound numbers don't truly reflect his ability because the coach is using him to clog the lane and lock shots, thereby pulling him out of rebound position. If we're to agree with your point that there's little room for him to I,prove his rebound numbers, that pulls the rug out from under CU Blu Js' argument.

In McDermotts years at Creighton, only Doug McDermott and Gregory Echinique averaged more than 7 RBs per game in a season. Gregory did it one year at 7.7, and was a beast of a man playing in the MVC. Doug was not generally our post defender, and had a knack for anticipating where a ball would come off the rim. As I said, McDermott's help side defensive system often takes Patton out of rebounding position. Although I do think Patton could get a few more boards, he just isn't going to be a consistent 9-10 RBs per game guy in our defensive system. 7-8 is probably the ceiling. So comparing his rebounding to players from different defensive systems is apples to oranges to an extent.
cu blujs

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:20 am

I hate to derail this convo, but one of the bigger surprises for me has been Jalen Brunson. It's not a surprise that he's good, because he was good last year. But he's really shot the ball well, and can look for his own while still running the team efficiently.

I thought Nova's offensive efficiency would drop off without Arch this year, but it really hasn't and I'd give Brunson a lot of the credit for that.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby BEhomer » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:00 am

some other freshmen in the league.

Markus Howard. it's going to be fun watching him next 2-3 years.
Shamorie Ponds. as good as advertised and more.
Kamar Baldwin. underrated but seems mentally tough and sound. perfect fit for butler.
Myles Powell. already one of the top shooters in the BE.
BEhomer

Postby scoscox » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:26 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:I hate to derail this convo, but one of the bigger surprises for me has been Jalen Brunson. It's not a surprise that he's good, because he was good last year. But he's really shot the ball well, and can look for his own while still running the team efficiently.

I thought Nova's offensive efficiency would drop off without Arch this year, but it really hasn't and I'd give Brunson a lot of the credit for that.

Yea, I didn't think he would be as good a shooter as he has been either.
scoscox

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board