Biggest surprise?

The home for Big East hoops

Biggest surprise?

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:33 am

As we're poised to begin the conference season, I have to admit that I didn't see Butler being as good as they are. That's not a knock on them, it's a knock on me. I have all the respect in the world for that program and for their coach. I thought this would be a rebuilding year for them. How does a team lose both its leading scorer (Dunham) and the all around play of Jones and be this good right out of the gate? Who saw a 3-star recruit (Baldwin) stepping into the starting lineup at this level and playing as well as he has?

My second biggest surprise has been Villanova. No offense to Hart and Jenkins, bit to lose Arch and Ochefu and then to have Spellman declared ineligible, leaving no true center on the team, and to be an undefeated #1 almost 2 months into the season? Again, no reflection on them or their coach, but I just didn't see them going forward without missing a beat.

In the interests of full disclosure, Seton Hall was my pick to win the league despite the loss of Whitehead.

Who are your biggest surprises either bad or good as we move toward New Year's Eve?
Bill Marsh

Biggest surprise?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Biggest surprise?

Postby Edrick » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:42 am

Butler was Pomeroy preseason #19 and currently sit at #17. It would be a struggle to find teams more precisely picked.

I think Providence at #61 is the biggest surprise for me. I figured they'd be closer to #161.
Edrick

Postby whiteandblue77 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:30 am

Creighton's Justin Patton.

Even most people on the BJ Underground had no faith in him getting much more than mop-up minutes as a backup to Zach Hanson... well he's sure shut up all the doubting Thomases, and I'm guessing he's caught y'all by surprise as well. I'm interested in seeing him Wed. battling Delgado, who has caused Creighton fits the past couple years.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:10 am

Edrick wrote:Butler was Pomeroy preseason #19 and currently sit at #17. It would be a struggle to find teams more precisely picked.

I think Providence at #61 is the biggest surprise for me. I figured they'd be closer to #161.

I don't care how Ken Pom picked Butler. I made my own picks and I didn't see Butler getting as fast a start as they have.

No offense, but following your logic, Providence should be no surprise. College Sports Madness picked them at #62. But to your point, I agree that they are off to a stronger start than I would have expected as is the entire.

The more I think about it, Villanova. Is a bigger surprise to me than Butler.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:15 am

whiteandblue77 wrote:Creighton's Justin Patton.

Even most people on the BJ Underground had no faith in him getting much more than mop-up minutes as a backup to Zach Hanson... well he's sure shut up all the doubting Thomases, and I'm guessing he's caught y'all by surprise as well. I'm interested in seeing him Wed. battling Delgado, who has caused Creighton fits the past couple years.

Good call on Patton. He was a 4-star recruit, so I'm thinking that he put that red shirt year to good use.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Postby kayako » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:45 am

Nova? Eh, they were favored in every game. Most Nova fans knew the team wouldn't be short of talent. Jay Wright with that much veteran talent shouldn't surprise anyone.

Butler and Providence has looked better than expected, but my vote would go to Xavier, for less than flattering reasons. Mack is too good of a coach to let things go out of control, but the BE's big 3 at the moment doesn't include Xavier. That's pretty surprising to me tbh.
supernova
kayako

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:55 am

kayako wrote:Nova? Eh, they were favored in every game. Most Nova fans knew the team wouldn't be short of talent. Jay Wright with that much veteran talent shouldn't surprise anyone.

Butler and Providence has looked better than expected, but my vote would go to Xavier, for less than flattering reasons. Mack is too good of a coach to let things go out of control, but the BE's big 3 at the moment doesn't include Xavier. That's pretty surprising to me tbh.

I agree that Nova is not short of talent but they've accomplished what they have without a true center. As important as Ochefu was to them, I'm surprised to see them so effective with Reynolds and Bridges as their primary inside options. I also thought they would have been hurt more by the loss of Booth. He seemed poised to have a big year.

While Nova is not short of talent, there's a lot of talent all over the league. I don't think anyone has more talent than Georgetown despite defections from the program. Xavier is loaded as well.
Bill Marsh

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:45 pm

Surprises: Expected the 3 below to have more non-conference losses...

Xavier - only 2 losses.
Butler - only 1 loss.
Villanova - no losses. Purdue and the cocky Leprechaun's were there only true tests in the nonconference slate, unless the beatdowns on the Little 5 count as quality opponents.

It's all good...the 3 above can't hide in conference play. Let's git it on. ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Westbrook#36 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:44 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Surprises: Expected the 3 below to have more non-conference losses...

Xavier - only 2 losses.
Butler - only 1 loss.
Villanova - no losses. Purdue and the cocky Leprechaun's were there only true tests in the nonconference slate, unless the beatdowns on the Little 5 count as quality opponents.

It's all good...the 3 above can't hide in conference play. Let's git it on. ;)

Good old gtmo, keep chugging the kool-aid. If Nova wasn't really tested OOC and can't hide in conference, that goes double for Creighton. Bring it on, see you this Saturday in Omaha. ;)
Westbrook#36

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:32 pm

Butler has to be #1. They lost their 2 most important players last year (from a team that finished 5th). They have done a great job OOC.

That being said, they did a good job last year in the OOC then things sort of fell apart in conference play. I would be surprised to see them finish top 3.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board