Biggest surprise?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Biggest surprise?

Postby scoscox » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:21 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:Nah, he's not really playing at that level. His success is a product of opportunity + the system he plays in. Maybe after 4 years. Good for him for making the most of the opportunity.

You don't think so? He's putting up 13 and 7 as a freshman and is a 7 footer who can run the floor and has a pretty smooth game. I could see it definitely happening before 4 years. Of course all centers are helped by having a good team around them, but all good teams don't have good centers.

REB BLK PTS
7.5 3.2 12.7

6.4 1.6 13.1

comp of Patrick Ewing vs. Justin Patton freshman year stats
scoscox

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:04 pm

scoscox wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:Nah, he's not really playing at that level. His success is a product of opportunity + the system he plays in. Maybe after 4 years. Good for him for making the most of the opportunity.

You don't think so? He's putting up 13 and 7 as a freshman and is a 7 footer who can run the floor and has a pretty smooth game. I could see it definitely happening before 4 years. Of course all centers are helped by having a good team around them, but all good teams don't have good centers.

REB BLK PTS
7.5 3.2 12.7

6.4 1.6 13.1

Patton's a sophomore, right?

I hope you're not seriously comparing him with Patrick as a player.
Bill Marsh

Postby Jet915 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:11 pm

Patton's a redshirt freshmen. I'd be shocked if he was here 4 years. There are already NBA scouts going to watch him play. Luckily he's from Omaha, loves the city and Creighton and his closest friend is Khyri Thomas. He'll be back next year IMO...
Jet915

Postby scoscox » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:15 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
scoscox wrote:

REB BLK PTS
7.5 3.2 12.7

6.4 1.6 13.1

Patton's a sophomore, right?

I hope you're not seriously comparing him with Patrick as a player.

Patton's a redshirt freshman so this is his first year of eligibility. I don't think you're appreciating how rare it is for a 7 footer to be able to do the things that Patton can do. Roy Hibbert was nowhere near the athlete or player Patton is and still has had a pretty long NBA career. Statistically pretty similar. Ewing was obviously a better shot blocker and rebounder marginally, but so far played about 4 more minutes and patton is shooting about 10% better from the field. I just did that comp for fun, but it's not really a big difference considering one is an NBA Hall of Famer. I've been very impressed by him so far.
scoscox

Postby mel ott » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:32 pm

I hope Patton makes it two more years. The kid is super athletic and runs the floor like a deer. He has great hands and feet and is going to continue to develop - and will only be 20 this year! He can shoot the three, go with his left hand, and is still learning the system ( pushed ahead because of Hanson's injury). He will be a delight for the Big East fans to watch develop. Great attitude and loves the game. He's the real deal. Question is- how fast he continues to develop and when they want him in the pros-again, i hope it's two years from now; may not be that long.
mel ott

Postby stever20 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:39 pm

mel ott wrote:I hope Patton makes it two more years. The kid is super athletic and runs the floor like a deer. He has great hands and feet and is going to continue to develop - and will only be 20 this year! He can shoot the three, go with his left hand, and is still learning the system ( pushed ahead because of Hanson's injury). He will be a delight for the Big East fans to watch develop. Great attitude and loves the game. He's the real deal. Question is- how fast he continues to develop and when they want him in the pros-again, i hope it's two years from now; may not be that long.

he's going to be one that declares this year and goes to that NBA combine. With the redshirt year, 2 years out of high school. No lock at all for him coming back. The better he does the rest of this year, the more likely he turns pro.
stever20

Postby LMS » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:56 pm

Hopefully Patton learns from Ellenson and takes another year to improve his game before going pro.
LMS

Postby stever20 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:59 pm

LMS wrote:Hopefully Patton learns from Ellenson and takes another year to improve his game before going pro.

look at his offensive rating in Ken Pom...
Ellenson last year 103.2
Patton this year 132.6

and I think the year older means something.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:21 pm

LMS wrote:Hopefully Patton learns from Ellenson and takes another year to improve his game before going pro.

Ellenson is getting paid millions and improving his game in the d-league.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby XUFan09 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:07 pm

scoscox wrote:Patton's a redshirt freshman so this is his first year of eligibility. I don't think you're appreciating how rare it is for a 7 footer to be able to do the things that Patton can do. Roy Hibbert was nowhere near the athlete or player Patton is and still has had a pretty long NBA career. Statistically pretty similar. Ewing was obviously a better shot blocker and rebounder marginally, but so far played about 4 more minutes and patton is shooting about 10% better from the field. I just did that comp for fun, but it's not really a big difference considering one is an NBA Hall of Famer. I've been very impressed by him so far.

I think the O/U on Patton leaving is 2.5, and I would cautiously take the under. In simplest terms, draft stock is a combination of performance and potential. My belief is that he will maximize this combination after his sophomore season. However, I am inclined to agree with Scoscox that leaving after this year is not out of the realm of possibility. He's producing at a good rate (extremely efficient on a moderate usage rate), doing a great job on the defensive glass and a respectable job on the offensive glass, and blocking shots at a good rate. This is all while being a highly mobile 7-footer who is only 20 and who scouts already know about. I'm still going with 2 years, but a one-and-done situation is definitely possible. At the very least, I bet he tests the waters.

Sidenote: To those calling Patton a sophomore in reference to basketball just because he practiced with the team for a year, that's just foolish. Practicing with a team while physically developing is worlds apart from actually playing Division I games. At best, he's only slightly ahead of most true freshman. If someone wants to insist on the distinction of "redshirt freshman," that makes sense, but he's definitely not a sophomore as a player, even if he is one as a student.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board