(2) Friday BE Games - Festivus - 12/23/2016...

The home for Big East hoops

Postby billyjack » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:47 pm

Festivus thoughts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strike_(Seinfeld)

The Airing Of The Grievances:
- The Timberwolves need to bench Rubio and start Kris Dunn.

- - - - -

2 Big East games of Friday Dec 23rd:

Providence at Boston College, 4pm.
Rutgers at Seton Hall, 6:30pm.

Former Big East members are matched up in 2 games. BC just lost to Fairfield, adding to their other sucky losses to Harvard and Hartford. Rutgers is much improved under Steve Pikiell.

These are both winnable games, so an opportunity to improve our non-conf record vs the Football-5.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: (2) Friday BE Games - Festivus - 12/23/2016...

Postby Jet915 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:05 pm

Would be nice to get two more F5 scalps although Seton Hall can't take Rutgers for granted. They might actually have a guy who can coach now....
Jet915

Postby FriarJ » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Up until they actually play Seton Hall, Rutgers has a SOS of 2nd to last in the entire Division 1.

A loss to BC by PC would kill the season. PC for many years tends to make close games out of inferior opponents, even losing some. This will be the final test that this is different, So far it's been smooth sailing. I suspect it's because of the defense being so vastly improved.

One thing is almost a lock. PC will have more fans at the game even though the game is on BC's campus. Pathetic.
FriarJ

Postby sju88grad » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:40 pm

FriarJ wrote:Up until they actually play Seton Hall, Rutgers has a SOS of 2nd to last in the entire Division 1.

A loss to BC by PC would kill the season. PC for many years tends to make close games out of inferior opponents, even losing some. This will be the final test that this is different, So far it's been smooth sailing. I suspect it's because of the defense being so vastly improved.

One thing is almost a lock. PC will have more fans at the game even though the game is on BC's campus. Pathetic.

I hate BC for many reasons but primarily because they ditched the Big East for the ACC....as an SJU fan, I can't really throw stones but boy, has BC become irrelevant!!! GO FRIARS!!!!! :-)
sju88grad

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:51 pm

FriarJ wrote:Up until they actually play Seton Hall, Rutgers has a SOS of 2nd to last in the entire Division 1.

I don't know what you're looking at but Rutgers current SOS is #295. There are 351 teams in D1 so not next to last in SOS.
stever20

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:27 pm

billyjack wrote:Festivus thoughts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strike_(Seinfeld)

The Airing Of The Grievances:
- The Timberwolves need to bench Rubio and start Kris Dunn.

- - - - -

2 Big East games of Friday Dec 23rd:

Providence at Boston College, 4pm.
Rutgers at Seton Hall, 6:30pm.

Former Big East members are matched up in 2 games. BC just lost to Fairfield, adding to their other sucky losses to Harvard and Hartford. Rutgers is much improved under Steve Pikiell.

These are both winnable games, so an opportunity to improve our non-conf record vs the Football-5.

With last night's win, St John's past Rutgers in the Sagarin rankings. So, yes. Rutgers is I,proved, being in the top 100, but they still aren't as good as one of the 2 schools at the bottom of the Big East. :P
Bill Marsh

Postby Jet915 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:32 pm

Rutgers isn't great but they aren't their normal putrid selves. They haven't lost to any of the cupcakes they have played which is pretty much all their wins.
Jet915

Postby xusandy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:36 pm

Other than St. Louis (a slam dunk IMHO), no team in the entire country is a better fit -- good academics, a strong values orientation, expansion of our geographical footprint, a great TV market, etc. etc. -- for the BEAST than BC. Unfortunately, there's this albatross around BC's neck. It's called P5 football, and even though football is a money loser for them, their alums and their administration just can't admit that and do the smart thing! So screw 'em (but, oh boy, would the Boston market ever be a winner for us!) Hey -- here's a better idea -- no BEAST expansion at all!
xusandy

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:10 pm

sju88grad wrote:

I hate BC for many reasons but primarily because they ditched the Big East for the ACC....as an SJU fan, I can't really throw stones but boy, has BC become irrelevant!!! GO FRIARS!!!!! :-)

Actually BC is one of the few teams that a St John's fan can legitimately throw stones at. :twisted:
Bill Marsh

Postby ecasadoSBU » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:36 pm

Jet915 wrote:Would be nice to get two more F5 scalps although Seton Hall can't take Rutgers for granted. They might actually have a guy who can coach now....

That's my coach P. It hurt so much to see him go from Stony Brook (my alma mater). Still hoping that Seton Hall wins.
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board