(4) Wednesday Big East Games 12/21/16

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (4) Wednesday Big East Games 12/21/16

Postby NJRedman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:04 am

SJHooper wrote:I don't think you will have to wonder too much. Amar is out and so is Mussini now (infection) for tonight (2 of the major reasons why we beat them last year). The game might be over at halftime if we didn't learn anything from PSU. FYI, if you live in the NYC metro area like me, the game is blacked out on ESPN3. If you don't have the ACC network, you can't see it (unless you find a shady streaming service which gives you viruses). This was a game I had circled before the season started. If we were 7-4 or 8-3 like we should have been by now, the build up to this game would have been pretty big. IMO no way Cuse can lose to us 3x in a row including twice in a row at home after losing 4 in a row to G'Town. Last year we didn't miss all game and they were ice cold (Cooney was red hot coming into the game). They will be looking for revenge. Let's just get this over with and move on to Big East play.

Cuse: 90
SJ: 71

This is why you are a s****y St. John's fan.

Btw it was on YES, so everyone in NYC with cable got it.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:17 am

Overnight Syracuse dropped from 32 to 49 in Sagarin's rankings.

St John's jumped from 138 to 97. In Sagarin's predictor rating, which uses point spreads in its formula, the Redmen were even better at 92.
Bill Marsh

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:29 am

So the Johnnies big win caused quite a dilemma for me...was I happier that St. Johns won or that Syracuse took a beat down at home? Either way, congrats on the big win.
Savannah Jay

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:11 am

Last night was exactly why I was telling St. John's fans to be patient and just wait. Coach Mullin was a risky hire but you won't know if that risk was worth it for at least 5 years. Coach Mack today would coach cirlces around the Coach Mack when he first got hired 7 years ago. Mullin will have an even more dramatic learning curve. The key thing that Mullin has done is really hit the recruiting trail and tried to get some talent. By year 5 St. John's will be established as a consistent top half Big East team. Unless Hooper and his ilke runs him out of town.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby MUPanther » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:32 am

Checking the score at the Bradley Center last night. Then during a timeout, they gave the score to the crowd, the Bradley Center cheered the Final! :lol: :lol:
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:15 am

Da Johnnies! Way to go St. Johns!

Do some damage in the BE run...Be the spoiler and build for next year. Hell, vie for that 5th or 6th NCAA Bid and help out ol' gtmo.

Helluva win and confidence builder for the conference run...git to work. ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby SJHooper » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:40 am

No one is more thrilled than me, trust me! Amazing win, just absolutely choked the life out of them on their own court. Today was the first game against a legitimate major opponent where we played a full game to our potential. That is encouraging. It was so satisfying seeing Cuse give up at the end letting us dunk it every possession while the fans were running out of the Dome in droves. We hit our 3's, we drew fouls, we made the extra pass most of the time, we were unselfish, we let the game come to us instead of trying to force the issue, we were patient and waited for good looks, we had active hands on defense, got back well in transition, and we played as a TEAM! By the way, a guy I work with is a huge Cuse fan...this morning I sent him an email labeled "Urgent" so he thinks it's very important. When he opens the email he will see a big picture with the words "St. John's, we are New York's team!" on it. :D

With that all being said, we can't let up...we can't just assume we turned the corner. We need to show this effort more than just one game. Just because of one great game, it doesn't mean Mullin is the answer or that we can repeat this consistently. I sure hope so, but one game does not a season make. If we can start doing this more often, THEN I will really be thrilled and see the potential plus the progress. Mullin needs more games like Cuse which clearly show real improvement right in front of everyone. I also wonder if Ellison can keep shooting like this...he has been fantastic the last 2 games. If this is him actually turning the corner, that would be huge and take the pressure off Ponds and LoVett when they have off nights. One thing is for sure, we will always have at least one hot player from 3 each game. We have too many shooters for every single one to go ice cold. I give Mullin credit for taking us from a terrible shooting team to a great one. Under Lavin, I never felt confident when one of our guys chucked a 3. Now, when Ponds, LoVett, Freudenberg, Mussini, Ellison, etc. shoot a 3, I always put my 3 fingers in the air expecting it to fall.

To conclude, I am beyond thrilled. I woke up thinking it was a great dream then checked my ESPN app to confirm it happened. BUT we can't just assume the team has turned a corner. We will have to see what happens after this.
SJHooper

Postby Jet915 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:41 am

Seth DavisVerified account
‏@SethDavisHoops
Syracuse losing at home tonight by 33 points to St. John's may be the most shocking result in more than 20 years on this beat. Seriously.
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:48 am

Jet915 wrote:Seth DavisVerified account
‏@SethDavisHoops
Syracuse losing at home tonight by 33 points to St. John's may be the most shocking result in more than 20 years on this beat. Seriously.

nice.. just had to post this on the other board.

Syracuse fans awfully quiet today. Awww shucks!!!!
stever20

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:49 am

ESPN needs a new 30 for 30. A Requiem for Syracuse Basketball.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board