DePaul/St John's

The home for Big East hoops

DePaul/St John's

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:47 am

So a season and a third into their tenure- which coach do you think has done better so far- Mullin or Leitao?

Leitao 16-26 at DePaul
Mullin 13-31 at St John's

close games- 1-10 points
L:10-7
M:6-16

I think looking at it- you'd have to give it to Leitao.
stever20

DePaul/St John's

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: DePaul/St John's

Postby hoyahooligan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:14 am

stever20 wrote:So a season and a third into their tenure- which coach do you think has done better so far- Mullin or Leitao?

Leitao 16-26 at DePaul
Mullin 13-31 at St John's

close games- 1-10 points
L:10-7
M:6-16

I think looking at it- you'd have to give it to Leitao.

Well sure but Leitao is an experienced coach who has been doing this for a long time. Of course he's a better coach.
hoyahooligan

Postby SJHooper » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:21 am

DePaul is still in a different spot. As terrible as things are at SJ right now, we were ranked #15 just a few short years ago in 2014 I think, #18 in 2011, and have recruited well. We also have 3 very recent seasons of 20+ wins. If you want to look at programs as a whole in terms of success, you can make the comparison, but at least recently, we have shown we can be good. For us, it's a head coaching problem. That can be fixed and I hope Mullin leaves after this year so Hurley or long-shot Donovan can come. I'd be much more patient with a guy like Hurley knowing that there aren't many better basketball minds out there. The guy's father is a coaching legend and he knows what he's doing. My only concern if Hurley came is if we lost Matt A and our recruiting took a big hit. Not sure if Hurley can recruit well by himself.
SJHooper

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:13 pm

SJHooper wrote:DePaul is still in a different spot. As terrible as things are at SJ right now, we were ranked #15 just a few short years ago in 2014 I think, #18 in 2011, and have recruited well. We also have 3 very recent seasons of 20+ wins. If you want to look at programs as a whole in terms of success, you can make the comparison, but at least recently, we have shown we can be good. For us, it's a head coaching problem. That can be fixed and I hope Mullin leaves after this year so Hurley or long-shot Donovan can come. I'd be much more patient with a guy like Hurley knowing that there aren't many better basketball minds out there. The guy's father is a coaching legend and he knows what he's doing. My only concern if Hurley came is if we lost Matt A and our recruiting took a big hit. Not sure if Hurley can recruit well by himself.

I hope Mullin hangs around just long enough for Dan Hurley to take a job elsewhere. As funny as it would be to see St. John's crawling to a Jersey guy/Seton Hall player to save their program after their GOAT failed, I'm afraid of what Hurley could do with a high major program in the NY-Metro area. With Willard's job seemingly safe for the time being, I hope he follows his brother out west or something.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby SJHooper » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:27 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
SJHooper wrote:DePaul is still in a different spot. As terrible as things are at SJ right now, we were ranked #15 just a few short years ago in 2014 I think, #18 in 2011, and have recruited well. We also have 3 very recent seasons of 20+ wins. If you want to look at programs as a whole in terms of success, you can make the comparison, but at least recently, we have shown we can be good. For us, it's a head coaching problem. That can be fixed and I hope Mullin leaves after this year so Hurley or long-shot Donovan can come. I'd be much more patient with a guy like Hurley knowing that there aren't many better basketball minds out there. The guy's father is a coaching legend and he knows what he's doing. My only concern if Hurley came is if we lost Matt A and our recruiting took a big hit. Not sure if Hurley can recruit well by himself.

I hope Mullin hangs around just long enough for Dan Hurley to take a job elsewhere. As funny as it would be to see St. John's crawling to a Jersey guy/Seton Hall player to save their program after their GOAT failed, I'm afraid of what Hurley could do with a high major program in the NY-Metro area. With Willard's job seemingly safe for the time being, I hope he follows his brother out west or something.

Be very afraid, my friend :twisted: ...Donovan still my #1 choice though. If he came I would bet my BMW that he would turn us around. He is someone you can be patient with and it makes sense. He is the entire package: recruiting, youth (relatively), experience at the highest level, championships, locally grown, etc. I really hope he misses college, because he would be a legend here.
SJHooper

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:39 pm

I agree Donovan's a great coach. Give him 4 years and I bet he could even have DePaul on the bubble, if not in the dance.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby friars321 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:54 pm

For those who think Hurley would automatically turn that program around, you should take a look at the URI message board.
Most of the fans want him FIRED so that the school can move on. During the summer he was a hot name- has the pedigree, but if you really examine his career- no major success.
I think he has proven he can recruit, acquire talent, and coach defense- but he hasn't proven he can win consistently.
The jury is still out, and maybe they can turn it around- but that team has a lot of talent but they are playing like a middle of the pack A-10 team.
If they under achieve this year- I would compare Hurley more to a Lavin than a savior.
Not to mention is would immediately become the most hated coach in the BE because of his on court antics and childish behavior.
friars321

Return to Big East basketball message board