Villanova's winning streak

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Villanova's winning streak

Postby XtoDC » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:53 am

jfan wrote:
mpwalsh8 wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:
2nd and 3rd league games are @ Creighton and @ Butler. I don't think they will survive that trip unscathed. Which one (or both)...not sure.

I agree. As much as I'd like to see it happen, I doubt Villanova wins both road games. I'd be happy going 1-1. Going 0-2 would not surprise me and would not be the end of the world. If Villanova were to lose both @Creighton and @Butler I am sure there will be all sorts of naysayers coming out of the woodwork stating Villanova was never worthy of the #1 ranking and there would be all sorts of questions about how much Villanova misses Acrch and Ochefu.

XU85 wrote:I predict Creighton! Sounds like the arena is going to be crazy on New Years Eve!

The Creighton game is at noon EST so while I expect it will be nuts, will be as nuts as it would for night time tip off?
Probably not, but it will be loud. At least I hope we don't have fans that start drinking before noon on New Years Eve. That would make for a long day! The noise didn't bother Nova last year, they smoked us!

11 AM local time, so you really have to get started early. I am already planning the early morning drinking festivities before the Xavier - Georgetown game. As others have mentioned though, there is definitely going to be a nice nap before rallying for NYE.
XtoDC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BluejayBuff » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:47 pm

From what I've heard, the Century Link Center has sold all tickets for the NYE game against Nova, though you can still get some maybe 50-100 resells through various ticket sources.

I've also heard that the Clink is already selling standing room only tickets.
BluejayBuff

Postby cu blujs » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:27 pm

Pretty sure its noon local time (1 p.m. EST). CU schedule says noon, and I doubt they would show the EST time zone on the CU online schedule. So you have an extra hour to drink.
cu blujs

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:30 pm

cu blujs wrote:Pretty sure its noon local time (1 p.m. EST). CU schedule says noon, and I doubt they would show the EST time zone on the CU online schedule. So you have an extra hour to drink.

yeah I think I saw it's a 1pm et start.
stever20

Postby misterbob » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:01 pm

I think they probably lose to either Creighton or Butler on the road------not only have they lost Arch and Ochefu but Booth is also out indefinitely with a knee issue, making them VERY thin in the backcourt with only 2 healthy guards on the roster!
BUT----they have "great seniors" in Hart and Jenkins, they play tremendous team defense, and they probably have the best overall group of forwards (Hart, Jenkins, Bridges and Paschall) in the entire country----and thats really the strongest part of the team!!
misterbob

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:24 pm

I wonder if fans are feeling any differently about Villanova's streak after their big win at Creighton this weekend and after Butler looking a little more vulnerable against St John's. I have to say that I am simply amazed by what Villanova is doing after the losing the players they have. I have all the respect in the world for these guys. That Creighton win was a classic.
Bill Marsh

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:26 am

Bill Marsh wrote:I wonder if fans are feeling any differently about Villanova's streak after their big win at Creighton this weekend and after Butler looking a little more vulnerable against St John's. I have to say that I am simply amazed by what Villanova is doing after the losing the players they have. I have all the respect in the world for these guys. That Creighton win was a classic.

Whether or not Jay and Co. would care to admit it, I think Saturday meant a great deal to them. It reminded me a bit of last year when #6 Xavier came to town after having a great preseason. In both cases many pundits were talking about how another team was primed to replace them at the top of the BE. Not so fast.

This Butler game is a little more tricky. Every game at Hinkle between Nova and Butler has been a nail-biter. I would expect the same. You gotta think at some point a shot here or a bounce there doesn't go Nova's way and they stumble. @ Hinkle, @ Cintas or @Prudential are the 3 remaining venues that I expect at least one, maybe 3, losses.

I will admit that I am surprised at how well this team is playing. It's even more amazing when you consider that 2 guys that were penned in as starters (Booth & Spellman) aren't contributing at all. When you look at what other Freshmen are doing for teams around the country, it's a shame that Spellman won't get a chance to play with this specific collection of players. That's the one hole I fear will come back to haunt us at some point. With him I think this team might have been even better than last year. Also how fun would it have been to watch Spellman and Patton go at it on Saturday.

Win or lose what I am hoping is that this BE grind prepares all of our tourney teams for deep runs. We've never had this kind of top end depth and these heavyweight battles should serve us all well come March.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby mpwalsh8 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:58 am

Bill Marsh wrote:I wonder if fans are feeling any differently about Villanova's streak after their big win at Creighton this weekend and after Butler looking a little more vulnerable against St John's. I have to say that I am simply amazed by what Villanova is doing after the losing the players they have. I have all the respect in the world for these guys. That Creighton win was a classic.

My buddy who went to Marquette just called me and after talking about MU falling apart at the end of the Seton Hall game and lamenting MU's upcoming schedule (@Villanova, Seton Hall, DePaul, @Butler, @Creighton, Villanova - yikes that is a brutal stretch), he asked me when Villanova was going it lose. I honestly did not think VU would beat Creighton in Omaha. With the team Creighton has this year and the awesome home court environment, it just seemed like a game Villanova was unlikely to win. I was glad to be wrong.

If (big IF) Villanova can beat Butler in Hinkle, Villanova has 5/7 games at home (MU, X, SH, UVA, PC at home, MU, SJU away). Of those seven games, @SJU (SJU is always a tough game for Villanova), home vs X and UVA are all tough but winnable games. Unlikely Villanova doesn't stumble at least once in that stretch but of the next 8 games, @Butler is by far the most likely to be a loss.
mpwalsh8

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:33 am

Villanova's streak is awesome, but they barely escaped DePaul, so I see them losing at least 3 games in conference play.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:49 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Villanova's streak is awesome, but they barely escaped DePaul, so I see them losing at least 3 games in conference play.

Looking at single games as the reason to validate or invalidate any opinion is tough. It's akin to saying: "Xavier only beat Mizzou in OT, so I doubt they are as good as advertised." No X is very good, they just had one of those games where they were not focused and Mizzou made a few plays they don't normally. No different in the VU-DePaul game.

I thought they were going 14-4 in conference this year. But one of the losses I pegged them for was @ CU. So 3 is probably a pretty good guess as any. The league is tough. Who knows? I wouldn't be surprised if the 1st place team had 4 losses this year.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board