early look at week 1

The home for Big East hoops

Re: early look at week 1

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:28 pm

Of course it doesn't change the dynamic of the Villanova game. It's still a high profile game between two highly ranked teams that could go a long way to deciding the regular season title. If anything, opening with a loss would make it even bigger for Creighton. All I'm saying is that if the team is looking ahead to Villanova half as much as the fans seem to be, they could be setting themselves up to take one on the chin from Seton Hall.

Any other time of year, I'd say there's zero chance the Jays overlook the Pirates, the team who ended their season last year and won their last 2 trips to CLink. But when they have the undefeated, #1 ranked, reigning National Champions coming to town for a top-10 matchup 3 days later? I think the Jays could be forgiven for having one eye on that next game.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:29 pm

Hall2012 wrote:Of course it doesn't change the dynamic of the Villanova game. It's still a high profile game between two highly ranked teams that could go a long way to deciding the regular season title. If anything, opening with a loss would make it even bigger for Creighton. All I'm saying is that if the team is looking ahead to Villanova half as much as the fans seem to be, they could be setting themselves up to take one on the chin from Seton Hall.

Any other time of year, I'd say there's zero chance the Jays overlook the Pirates, the team who ended their season last year and won their last 2 trips to CLink. But when they have the undefeated, #1 ranked, reigning National Champions coming to town for a top-10 matchup 3 days later? I think the Jays could be forgiven for having one eye on that next game.

question dove tailing off of this post- especially if Creighton beats Seton Hall, would the Creighton/Villanova game be the biggest home game ever for Creighton?
stever20

Postby BoarCommaThe » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:06 pm

stever20 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:Of course it doesn't change the dynamic of the Villanova game. It's still a high profile game between two highly ranked teams that could go a long way to deciding the regular season title. If anything, opening with a loss would make it even bigger for Creighton. All I'm saying is that if the team is looking ahead to Villanova half as much as the fans seem to be, they could be setting themselves up to take one on the chin from Seton Hall.

question dove tailing off of this post- especially if Creighton beats Seton Hall, would the Creighton/Villanova game be the biggest home game ever for Creighton?

By far and away, yes, in the past 30-35 years. I'd say it would probably be just as big as when Larry Bird and Indiana State used to come to Omaha.
BoarCommaThe

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:12 pm

If Both teams are undefeated and Villanova is still ranked #1 - yes.
Highest ranked team to play in Omaha was #2 Marquette in 70-71.
Highest ranked team to play & lose in Omaha was #4 Arizona St., back in 63-64 (played against #4, #5, & #6 that season).
Lost to Number 5 Marquette in 74-75 in Omaha. #5 Indiana St. In Omaha in 78-79 (Bird). A few other Top 10 teams, in Omaha, over the years. In our independent years CU would get shots at 2-3 ranked opponents- generally on the road and of course in the NCAAs or NITs.

Marquette never abandoned us (little brother) over the years - much respect/much love for the Warriors/Golden Eagles!

Very late entry: Jan. 28th, 1980... #1 DePaul played in Omaha (@ the Civic). DePaul won.
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:53 pm

There is very little chance of anyone looking past the BET Champion Seton Hall Pirates. They spanked Creighton in the BET and beat the Jays in Omaha last season. Should be a great contest...for a while.

Jays are off until the SH game. Time to rest, heal up nicks n bruises, and gameplan. Should be a great tilt versus the Hall. I'm thinking a 2-0 start to the conference season for Creighton, but I am ever the Optimist. gtmo ;)

My optimism does not seem to be shared by most over at BJU for the 1st week nor the season.
Many are spouting a 13-5 or 12-6 conf record...
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:47 pm

Journalist John Bishop (Omaha) found an historic Creighton pearl. A post WW2 #1 college basketball team actually Played in Omaha. In 1980, Jan 28th...#1 DePaul played the Jays @thecivic. DePaul won handily! See: Creighton Media Guide.

So the upcoming Nova game is not a stand alone deal and is merely the biggest game in the 64-team NCAA era. Oh well.

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby milksteak » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:38 pm

stever20 wrote:so looking at the 1st week schedule a bit early with KP projections

Dec 28 DePaul @ Villanova Nova 99% 85-61
Dec 28 Seton Hall @ Creighton Creighton 75% 83-76
Dec 28 Georgetown @ Marquette- Marquette 70% 87-81
Dec 28 Providence @ Xavier- Xavier 77% 73-65
Dec 29 Butler @ St John's Butler 81% 80-71

Dec 31 Villanova @ Creighton Villanova 63% 79-76
Dec 31 Xavier @ Georgetown Xavier 54% 77-75
Jan 1 Providence @ Butler Butler 79% 73-64
Jan 1 St John's @ DePaul DePaul 55% 78-77
Jan 1 Marquette @ Seton Hall Seton Hall 59% 84-81

Villanova 2-0
Xavier 2-0
Butler 2-0
Creighton 1-1
DePaul 1-1
Seton Hall 1-1
Marquette 1-1
Georgetown 0-2
Providence 0-2
St John's 0-2

Figured we could update this after the first day of play.

Dec 29 Butler @ St. John's Butler 75%(↓) 78-71
Dec 31 Villanova @ Creighton Villanova 56%(↓) 77-75
Dec 31 Xavier @ Georgetown Xavier 58%(↑) 74-72
Jan 1 Providence @ Butler Butler 84%(↑) 73-62
Jan 1 St John's @ DePaul DePaul 54%(↓) 75-74
Jan 1 Marquette @ Seton Hall Seton Hall 56%(↓) 80-79

Records projected to be the same.

Providence KP rating has really nosedived because of the BC loss. St. John's has closed the gap against Butler, but Providence has dropped. Kinda interesting. Creighton has also had a good ten days, and Villanova was hurt a lot by last night's performance.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby sciencejay » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Without knowing all the history that GTMO does, I would say this is the biggest game ever in Omaha. Yes, we've played the #1 team in the country at home before, but this game includes the Jays being in the top 10 and being considered a final four contender. This game has a more significant bearing on the national standings than any previous CU home game. In my opinion.
sciencejay

Postby cu blujs » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:55 pm

Surely Jay Wright does not want to spoil Creighton's biggest home game ever, does he? Give CU just this one. We'll return the favor some day. I promise.
cu blujs

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board