(1) Sunday Game 12/18 - psu v SJU

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (1) Sunday Game 12/18 - psu v SJU

Postby SJHooper » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:45 am

Billyjack, that's a very good point. In the past he has left the NBA and gone back to college so maybe there's a chance. Yes, he grew up in Rockville Centre on Long Island which is literally like 2 stops from Queens. It would be a very easy commute to St. John's. Very nice area btw it's referred to as "RVC" by locals...anyway. I would love to be a fly on the wall and hear someone mention to him that the SJ job may be up for grabs sooner than later. If Mullin walks away after this year or next year, I wonder if he is less likely to leave OKC before his contract ends. The big question is, how much NYC pride does he have? If I were a top coach somewhere in the country, being from Long Island I would take a pay cut to coach St. John's. I understand the NYC area, the pride, the culture, the brashness, and I would hope he does too. His yearning to bring SJ back to national prominence would have to override his paycheck, because to go from $6 million to $2 million (if we are even willing to pay that after Mullin) is a pretty steep drop. If he is one of those guys who feels that being home is more important than a huge paycheck, then I would say we have a chance. I still feel it's a longshot. What's really interesting is how young he is. I had no idea...I figured he was 60 or something but he's 51. If we could hire him, IMO he would be a "sure thing" to get us back on track at the very least. He may not win championships with us like he did with Florida, but I think we'd be ranked constantly and in the tournament more times than not. He's also an amazing recruiter so if Mullin left and he came, it wouldn't matter as much if Matt A left too. Unfortunately, when something seems too good to be true as a SJ fan, it usually is and that's the feeling I get with Donovan. I still think Marshall and Miller are more up for grabs than people realize. SJ is a better job than Wichita State and Dayton for sure.
SJHooper

Re: (1) Sunday Game 12/18 - psu v SJU

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board