The Long Fall of St. John's

The home for Big East hoops

Postby HoosierPal » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:37 pm

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/12/14/st-johns-red-storm-underrated-teams-florida-wichita-state

Interesting read on the downfall of St. Johns, on how Carnesecca paid his players, and questions on Mullin.
HoosierPal

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: The Long Fall of St. John's

Postby billyjack » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:29 pm

Players got a stipend. As the article says, it was legal. Also, NY kids would move away a lot back then too. Seth Davis is a douche from Duke.
Providence
billyjack

Postby ecasadoSBU » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:50 pm

I will remain hopeful that St. John's returns to its glory days or at the very least to a competitive state like it was a few years ago. Just gotta wait and find out
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby NJRedman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:57 pm

HoosierPal wrote:http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/12/14/st-johns-red-storm-underrated-teams-florida-wichita-state

Interesting read on the downfall of St. Johns, on how Carnesecca paid his players, and questions on Mullin.

Way to make it sound like Louie was dirty
NJRedman

Postby DudeAnon » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:00 am

That is some serious click bait lol
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby SJHooper » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:30 pm

To me, I haven't seen a fall...because they haven't been on top anywhere to fall off of since I've seen them in my lifetime. I'm 27 and really only started following college hoops closely around 2007. It's really interesting to see the difference...the new school SJ fans like me are used to losing and mediocrity or underperforming even in a decent season that should have been better. Compare the younger fans with the old school Mullin era SJ fans...these are the ones who saw SJ on top of the basketball world in the mid 80's. These old school fans have a much more positive outlook on the team, because they assume we will get back to those days since they saw them when they were elite. You cannot fault fans like me for having negative outlooks at times, because we are just a product of a losing culture. I was ELATED in 2011 just to see us ranked and beating top 10 teams. When we were ranked #15 a few years back, I took a screenshot of it on my phone because it's so rare and beautiful to look at. Even making the NCAA tourney seems like this mystical thing...for good programs this is routine. I do think the writing is already on the wall with Mullin, but since they won't fire him this soon, they need to at least force him to get a real assistant coach with loads of experience and go out and get some real big men.

This team frustrates me so much but I just bought $100 worth of hats and a shirt from the bookstore. I'm going to the Garden tomorrow against Penn State. No one wants this program to turn around more than me. I have a SJ jersey in my office at work. I just hope someday, when people see me wearing a SJ sweatshirt, people will stop and say "hey they are having a great season!" instead of "I remember 1985 what a great team they had". I feel like we hold onto our past too much it seems...we need to stop looking back and be present now. We need to be more than 1985. The Mets do the same thing with 1986. Hey remember 1986? Hey, we will have a 1986 reunion! We are giving away 1986 shirts! It would be nice if just one of my teams was consistently great in my lifetime. Just one.
SJHooper

Return to Big East basketball message board