Six Teams in Bracketology 12-15

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Six Teams in Bracketology 12-15

Postby ConnersvilleBulldog » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:02 am

gtmoBlue wrote:It's early yet...from what I've heard, Coach Ed didn't unpack their tents this season (still in crates and cosmoline). I'd hold off a bit before crowing and the "I told ya so's." ;)

Welllllll, you picked SJU 6th, DePaul 7th, Providence 9th, & Butler 10th.... I think we've seen enough for at least some I told you so's.
"On paper, people tell us we're nothing. But we're still playing for a national championship. We … are … still … here." - Joel Cornette
ConnersvilleBulldog

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby milksteak » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:19 am

gtmoBlue wrote:
milksteak wrote:Providence is the sneakiest team in the conference this year. Preseason, I'm glad I called out all of you fools that picked an Ed Cooley-coached team 9th. :lol:

It's early yet...from what I've heard, Coach Ed didn't unpack their tents this season (still in crates and cosmoline). I'd hold off a bit before crowing and the "I told ya so's." ;)

Bruh. If there was anyone on this site that was wrong with their preseason predictions, it was you.

1. Creighton
2. Seton Hall
3. Villanova
4. Georgetown
5. Xavier
6. St. John's
7. DePaul
8. Marquette
9. Providence
10. Butler

WOOF.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby JohnW22 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:15 am

gtmoBlue wrote:
milksteak wrote:Providence is the sneakiest team in the conference this year. Preseason, I'm glad I called out all of you fools that picked an Ed Cooley-coached team 9th. :lol:

It's early yet...from what I've heard, Coach Ed didn't unpack their tents this season (still in crates and cosmoline). I'd hold off a bit before crowing and the "I told ya so's." ;)

Last I saw everybody was 0-0 in conference play. So much can change.
XU
JohnW22

Postby Westbrook#36 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:16 am

I'll eat a tiny bit of crow(with some hot sauce). I was one of those who had the Friars tabbed for a 8th place finish, well truth be told anywhere from 6th to 9th depending on which prediction thread, poll, or spreadsheet you look at. The only reason I picked them 9th in the spreadsheet was, because it was just after a snarky/sarcastic exchange with some PC poster and listened too much to St. John's posters(never again) and I put them there out of spite.

Basically I had them and Marquette dead even at 7/8 place with Providence losing a mental coin flip. I also said in the outrageous prediction thread that the BE would get 7 teams in the dance this year, my worst case scenario for the Friars this year was something like 7-11 in conference(vast majority of which would be extremely close games)and 17-14 overall. I also thought the upside for them was a 8/9 seed in the tourney, well that looks like the range they're going to fall into. Cooley has done a exceptional job, as usual, this year. My mistake was overrating Marquette and Georgetown, lesson learned, for the foreseeable future I'm never picking JT3 or Wojo ahead of Cooley.

That said, with the way some PC posters are chirping about disrespect you'd think they were a top 10 team or something and everyone completely missed the boat on them. No one I noticed on here except for gtmo(and he doesn't really count), said Providence was going to suck or be bad. No one said they were going to be 3-15 or something in conference.
Westbrook#36

Postby milksteak » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:That said, with the way some PC posters are chirping about disrespect you'd think they were a top 10 team or something and everyone completely missed the boat on them. No one I noticed on here except for gtmo(and he doesn't really count), said Providence was going to suck or be bad. No one said they were going to be 3-15 or something in conference.

FenwayFriar picked PC 5th. I picked them 6th. 5/34 users picked them 7th. 10/34 users picked them 8th. So half of the pollsters picked them 9th or 10th (most picked 9th). If you pick a team 9th or worse, you insinuate that you are expecting them to be pretty bad. In the NBE, the 9th-place team has averaged 3.66 wins. That's pretty bad.

Frankly, I'd be calling for HLOH to eat crow too if I was a Providence fan.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... lzdKs/edit
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:16 pm

I'm certainly guilty of overrating St. John's with my picks. A lot of SJU fans were hyping up the Johnnies for a huge jump to a 5th-6th place finish and I guess I bought in a little bit to the thought that they'd be better. I expected everyone to be pretty decent this year except DePaul. Turns out it's everyone except DePaul and St. John's. As for Providence, right now I could reasonably see them finishing anywhere from 5th to 8th.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby FriarJ » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:26 pm

Yes and that was my only point, picking PC 7th is not a horrible pick (it may be correct), especially since the conference season hasn't started yet. Picking them 9th or 10th after what Cooley has proven in his 5 years at PC is downright silly and disrespectful, which is what I said at the time.
FriarJ

Postby FenwayFriar » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:47 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:I'll eat a tiny bit of crow(with some hot sauce). I was one of those who had the Friars tabbed for a 8th place finish, well truth be told anywhere from 6th to 9th depending on which prediction thread, poll, or spreadsheet you look at. The only reason I picked them 9th in the spreadsheet was, because it was just after a snarky/sarcastic exchange with some PC poster and listened too much to St. John's posters(never again) and I put them there out of spite.

Basically I had them and Marquette dead even at 7/8 place with Providence losing a mental coin flip. I also said in the outrageous prediction thread that the BE would get 7 teams in the dance this year, my worst case scenario for the Friars this year was something like 7-11 in conference(vast majority of which would be extremely close games)and 17-14 overall. I also thought the upside for them was a 8/9 seed in the tourney, well that looks like the range they're going to fall into. Cooley has done a exceptional job, as usual, this year. My mistake was overrating Marquette and Georgetown, lesson learned, for the foreseeable future I'm never picking JT3 or Wojo ahead of Cooley.

That said, with the way some PC posters are chirping about disrespect you'd think they were a top 10 team or something and everyone completely missed the boat on them. No one I noticed on here except for gtmo(and he doesn't really count), said Providence was going to suck or be bad. No one said they were going to be 3-15 or something in conference.

You do realize milksteak (certainly not a PC fan) was the one who brought this up about PC, correct? Where do you see PC posters chirping disrespect recently???
FenwayFriar

Postby FriarJ » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:58 pm

FenwayFriar wrote:
Westbrook#36 wrote:I'll eat a tiny bit of crow(with some hot sauce). I was one of those who had the Friars tabbed for a 8th place finish, well truth be told anywhere from 6th to 9th depending on which prediction thread, poll, or spreadsheet you look at. The only reason I picked them 9th in the spreadsheet was, because it was just after a snarky/sarcastic exchange with some PC poster and listened too much to St. John's posters(never again) and I put them there out of spite.

You do realize milksteak (certainly not a PC fan) was the one who brought this up about PC, correct? Where do you see PC posters chirping disrespect recently???

For sure he is talking about me, which is why I tried to clarify my comments which I though were clear at the start of this thread. I specifically talked about half the board picking them to be worse than either SJU or Depaul and in some cases both!
FriarJ

Postby Westbrook#36 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:15 pm

Guess you just can't please some people. I undersold the Friars a bit this year, I expect to be the 7th or 8th best team in the BE, looks like they're the 6th. My bad, so shoot me. The question I have is, if PC does indeed finish 7th or 8th will all those talking right now come back and eat a little crow? If they finish 5th or higher than I will eat copious amounts of crow, will actually look forward to it, because that means the league will be that much stronger for it.

I really don't want to start a pissing contest, I respect the hell out of Providence and Ed Cooley. The man can flat out coach up a team, they just lost a bunch this year. It wasn't anything personal picking them there, someone has to finish 7th or 8th.

Also lesson learned, starting next year and until farther notice I will no longer pick Cooley and the Friars below 6th.
Last edited by Westbrook#36 on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Westbrook#36

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board