Six Teams in Bracketology 12-15

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Six Teams in Bracketology 12-15

Postby kayako » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:00 pm

Hall2012 wrote:I also need to ask, what has Dayton done to deserve to be an 8 seed right now? Besides playing the RPI game by not scheduling anyone too terrible. They haven't beaten anyone that would be an at large bid (Winthrop has a decent RPI that will obviously fall, and is currently penciled into the field as a conference champ). Considering the state of the A10 this year, the Flyers could very well go before the selection committee without a single top 50 win on their resume.

I am willing to bet that the "First Four" is their floor. But yeah, there's so much rpi gaming going on. St. Mary's as a 5 seed is a joke.
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Edrick » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:22 pm

If this held serve, it would be 21 bids of 40 in the 4 year existence of the conference.
Edrick

Postby whiteandblue77 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:49 pm

I'll take Creighton's 4 if it's these locations... third round vs. Purdue in Salt Lake, heck yeah, Justin's as tall as their trees and I bet he can dribble around them, Zach will be a body to throw in there, too... then possible matchups in KC with the Jayhawks then NC? Oh ho holy crap yes.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby ArmyVet » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:05 pm

Hall2012 wrote:I also need to ask, what has Dayton done to deserve to be an 8 seed right now? Besides playing the RPI game by not scheduling anyone too terrible. They haven't beaten anyone that would be an at large bid (Winthrop has a decent RPI that will obviously fall, and is currently penciled into the field as a conference champ). Considering the state of the A10 this year, the Flyers could very well go before the selection committee without a single top 50 win on their resume.

Considering they are discussed here occasionally, I asked myself the same thing. No disrespect to UD fans but with the injuries that you've had and the lack of any real wins of substance I don't think an at large is in your future let alone an 8 seed.
ArmyVet

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:13 pm

2 of Dayton's 3 toughest OOC games are in the next 2 games. Northwestern(when has that ever been able to be said- and it not be a joke)- and Vanderbilt.

The game that will come back to haunt them is the Nebraska loss, because it put them in the losers bracket.
stever20

Postby cu blujs » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:50 pm

The game that will come back to haunt them is Nebraska, because, well . . . its Nebraska.
cu blujs

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:21 pm

milksteak wrote:Providence is the sneakiest team in the conference this year. Preseason, I'm glad I called out all of you fools that picked an Ed Cooley-coached team 9th. :lol:

It's early yet...from what I've heard, Coach Ed didn't unpack their tents this season (still in crates and cosmoline). I'd hold off a bit before crowing and the "I told ya so's." ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby DeltaV » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:29 pm

ArmyVet wrote:

Considering they are discussed here occasionally, I asked myself the same thing. No disrespect to UD fans but with the injuries that you've had and the lack of any real wins of substance I don't think an at large is in your future let alone an 8 seed.

My buddy at work went to Dayton; I was wondering out loud to him if the committee would really put Dayton in Buffalo as an 8 seed? That would be a big FU to whatever 1 was placed in that subregional (in this case, Nova). More likely they'd end up someplace further away.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:37 pm

stever20 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:I'm obviously biased, but I'd take Seton Hall's resume over all 4 teams that Lunardi gave his last 4 byes to over them. Especially Oklahoma State, who doesn't have a win over anyone remotely close to the field of 68.

However I would take their bracket, that's an easy path to an elite 8 matchup with Xavier.

easy path? Minnesota, Notre Dame, West Virginia(in 3rd game in 5 days), and Indiana is no easy path.

I was exaggerating by calling it easy, but which one of those brackets would you rather be an 11 seed in?
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:39 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
stever20 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:I'm obviously biased, but I'd take Seton Hall's resume over all 4 teams that Lunardi gave his last 4 byes to over them. Especially Oklahoma State, who doesn't have a win over anyone remotely close to the field of 68.

However I would take their bracket, that's an easy path to an elite 8 matchup with Xavier.

easy path? Minnesota, Notre Dame, West Virginia(in 3rd game in 5 days), and Indiana is no easy path.

I was exaggerating by calling it easy, but which one of those brackets would you rather be an 11 seed in?

Part of it is West Virginia in 3rd game in 5 days would be brutal.

Of the 4 6 seeds, I feel like Notre Dame probably the top one.

So I think it would be hard just to make it out of the first weekend.. I think Notre Dame/West Virginia is tougher than South Carolina/Virginia, Oregon/Louisville, or Arizona/Gonzaga. The Arizona/Gonzaga would be my next least favorite one- having to play in Salt Lake City as 2nd and 3rd games in 3/5 days would be tough.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board