(1) Wednesday BE Game - uic at DePaul...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (1) Wednesday BE Game - uic at DePaul...

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:20 am

DePaul will never be competitive again until they get rid of their doofus AD and incompetent leadership. They couldn't even get a crowd to their women's facility in Lincoln Park against an in-town team, which had more fans there than DePaul did.

I'm sorry, but the consistent failures from the men's basketball program at DePaul - which began over 10-years ago - is something this league cannot afford. Every team needs to carry its weight, and the only thing DePaul has carried is a lack of attendance at games and a truly awful product on the court. We have nine programs that all have made the tournament, and has experienced high-level success during that time.

And Demon, I am not spewing nonsensical garbage. I grew up in Lincoln Park and around DePaul Athletics for my entire life. Jerry Wainwright, both while at DePaul and Marquette, even had harsh things to say to me about the lack of leadership and direction in the program. How DePaul survived for so long playing home games almost an hour away from campus is a bad joke. The fact is DePaul's leadership is content with collecting Fox checks and not caring about the product on the court - the results over the past 10-years prove that. And giving a huge contract to a mediocre coach with no ties to Chicago is proof of that. Awful, awful direction and leadership.

I truly hope DePaul has a lightbulb go off and realize that their current leadership does not know what it takes to build a successful Big East program. Since that leadership is ingrained via political and family stature, I highly doubt a change is ever made - so on that front, I am sorry die hard DePaul fans have to watch the downfall of their program. I guess that just means the other nine programs will have to carry the weight for the foreseeable future.
GoldenWarrior11

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby SJHooper » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:21 am

I looked at Seton Hall when searching for colleges for undergrad. When my mother pulled up, she said "There's no way you're going here" when she saw what a dangerous and filthy neighborhood it was located in. One of the stores right near campus was called "The Ghetto Store" I kid you not lol. Seton Hall is a good school and I went on a tour and was impressed...but the location was horrific. St. John's is located in a nice area of Queens and you can actually walk around without worry. To be fair, Seton Hall is much better academically for undergrad than St. John's so I will give you that. Grad school is where SJ gets any kind of prestige academically. But when you bring up college basketball, by any metric SHU is still the red-headed step sister. Has it gotten more respectability the last few years? Of course...you had a top 25 team with that bearded dude (forgot his name), got ranked again after him, and won the Big East championship also off to a good start this year. Think of it like a track race...SJ got out of the gates blazing ahead. SHU has just begun catching up but still has a ways to go. 10 NCAA appearances is very, very bad. I understand that much of our success is in the past and most of SHU's success has been recent, but you never see Seton Hall shirts or hats or anything really in the NYC area. You will see SJ gear. Can I quantify that? No. But that's what I've seen and I'm sure others will agree. I always thought Seton Hall's Pirate logo looked so generic akin to a high school. They should have picked something more unique and something that separates itself from other typical "pirates".

Let's compare apples to apples...who do you think would draw more fans at MSG as a top 25 team in a huge game...SJ or SHU? If you don't say SJ you are in denial. We may be in a rough patch but he have the brand and awareness over SHU. Hopefully the wins come soon too.
SJHooper

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:01 am

Crowd shot of tipoff of DePaul/UIC Wednesday night. ON campus. In a 3k seat gym. Just pathetic.

GoldenWarrior11

Postby Whitefriar » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:31 pm

SJHooper wrote:I looked at Seton Hall when searching for colleges for undergrad. When my mother pulled up, she said "There's no way you're going here" when she saw what a dangerous and filthy neighborhood it was located in. One of the stores right near campus was called "The Ghetto Store" I kid you not lol. Seton Hall is a good school and I went on a tour and was impressed...but the location was horrific. St. John's is located in a nice area of Queens and you can actually walk around without worry. To be fair, Seton Hall is much better academically for undergrad than St. John's so I will give you that. Grad school is where SJ gets any kind of prestige academically. But when you bring up college basketball, by any metric SHU is still the red-headed step sister. Has it gotten more respectability the last few years? Of course...you had a top 25 team with that bearded dude (forgot his name), got ranked again after him, and won the Big East championship also off to a good start this year. Think of it like a track race...SJ got out of the gates blazing ahead. SHU has just begun catching up but still has a ways to go. 10 NCAA appearances is very, very bad. I understand that much of our success is in the past and most of SHU's success has been recent, but you never see Seton Hall shirts or hats or anything really in the NYC area. You will see SJ gear. Can I quantify that? No. But that's what I've seen and I'm sure others will agree. I always thought Seton Hall's Pirate logo looked so generic akin to a high school. They should have picked something more unique and something that separates itself from other typical "pirates".

Let's compare apples to apples...who do you think would draw more fans at MSG as a top 25 team in a huge game...SJ or SHU? If you don't say SJ you are in denial. We may be in a rough patch but he have the brand and awareness over SHU. Hopefully the wins come soon too.

Where do you go to high school?
Whitefriar

Postby HoosierPal » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:38 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Crowd shot of tipoff of DePaul/UIC Wednesday night. ON campus. In a 3k seat gym. Just pathetic.

According to the DePaul University Basketball website, you are looking at 2,099 people in attendance. Must have been a LOT of late comers, or the person doing the counting slipped a decimal.
HoosierPal

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:41 pm

SJHooper wrote:I looked at Seton Hall when searching for colleges for undergrad. When my mother pulled up, she said "There's no way you're going here" when she saw what a dangerous and filthy neighborhood it was located in. One of the stores right near campus was called "The Ghetto Store" I kid you not lol. Seton Hall is a good school and I went on a tour and was impressed...but the location was horrific. St. John's is located in a nice area of Queens and you can actually walk around without worry. To be fair, Seton Hall is much better academically for undergrad than St. John's so I will give you that. Grad school is where SJ gets any kind of prestige academically. But when you bring up college basketball, by any metric SHU is still the red-headed step sister. Has it gotten more respectability the last few years? Of course...you had a top 25 team with that bearded dude (forgot his name), got ranked again after him, and won the Big East championship also off to a good start this year. Think of it like a track race...SJ got out of the gates blazing ahead. SHU has just begun catching up but still has a ways to go. 10 NCAA appearances is very, very bad. I understand that much of our success is in the past and most of SHU's success has been recent, but you never see Seton Hall shirts or hats or anything really in the NYC area. You will see SJ gear. Can I quantify that? No. But that's what I've seen and I'm sure others will agree. I always thought Seton Hall's Pirate logo looked so generic akin to a high school. They should have picked something more unique and something that separates itself from other typical "pirates".

I really don't want to derail this thread with a SHU/SJU pissing contest, but I do need to make a slight correction. The area you're referring to is East Orange, and you're right, it isn't far from campus, but it's not the neighborhood campus is located in. South Orange itself is actually a very nice and fairly wealthy area. The median home value in South Orange is well over $600k and the town has more than its fair share of million dollar homes. I've walked around South Orange at night plenty of times as a student and never felt unsafe. That's not to say there's never an incident in South Orange, but the large majority of issues come from students foolishly wandering into East Orange (usually looking for bars/liquor stores that don't card).

As far as logo's go, you don't have to like it but to say it looks like a generic high school logo just isn't true. Google "Pirate logo" and you won't find anything that remotely resembles Seton Hall's logo. You wanna see a generic pirate logo? Look at the Pittsburgh pirates or Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

And last but not least, MSG attendance. Well just last year Seton Hall played a game there with an official attendance of 19,812. I believe that's capacity and since I have no doubt a game of equal magnitude featuring St. John's would also sell out, I'm gonna go with a draw.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Demon22 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:49 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:DePaul will never be competitive again until they get rid of their doofus AD and incompetent leadership. They couldn't even get a crowd to their women's facility in Lincoln Park against an in-town team, which had more fans there than DePaul did.

I'm sorry, but the consistent failures from the men's basketball program at DePaul - which began over 10-years ago - is something this league cannot afford. Every team needs to carry its weight, and the only thing DePaul has carried is a lack of attendance at games and a truly awful product on the court. We have nine programs that all have made the tournament, and has experienced high-level success during that time.

I agree with virtually every word of this.

And Demon, I am not spewing nonsensical garbage. I grew up in Lincoln Park and around DePaul Athletics for my entire life.

If you believe that DePaul is dumping all of their money/energy into women's sports, then you are spewing garbage.

Jerry Wainwright, both while at DePaul and Marquette, even had harsh things to say to me about the lack of leadership and direction in the program.

Not saying that he's wrong, but you do realize that if Jerry doesn't blame the people "in charge", then he has to take responsibility for his own sub-par performance, right?

The fact is DePaul's leadership is content with collecting Fox checks and not caring about the product on the court - the results over the past 10-years prove that. And giving a huge contract to a mediocre coach with no ties to Chicago is proof of that. Awful, awful direction and leadership.

If they didn't care, they wouldn't have dumped $10 million in Oliver Purnell's lap - as misguided as that may have been. If they didn't care, they'd be playing home games at the United Center rent free instead of spending $80+ million to build their own place.

It's not that they don't care... it's that they have no idea what they're doing.
Demon22

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board