(1) Wednesday BE Game - uic at DePaul...

The home for Big East hoops

Postby billyjack » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:32 pm

1 game tonight in the Big East...

Illinois-Chicago at DePaul, 8pm.

A game DePaul should win. DePaul really doesn't have any bad losses... yeah, they've been crushed by Northwestern for example, but the teams they've lost to aren't dregs. The first step to improving is to beat the teams you're supposed to. Do that as a reachable goal. And play good defense. And rebound. And limit turnovers. And hit bunnies. And try not to foul too much. And recruit talent. That's it, just those things.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: (1) Wednesday BE Game - uic at DePaul...

Postby MUPanther » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:37 pm

Illinois-Chicago @ DePaul - FS1 - Jeff Levering, Dickey Simpkins
Line: DePaul -8
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby whiteandblue77 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:45 pm

DePaul's hanging tough, 147 rpi, their next three opponents are 295, 273, 283 rpi... gotta win them all but not sure how much winning all three will hurt their rpi. Go Demons, snuff out the Flames! :ugeek:
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby FriarJ » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:11 pm

I know it's crazy but I'm still wondering wtf some you were thinking to put an Ed Cooley team last in this league? Wishful thinking? Pure ignorance? Unbelievable stupidity? (I'm joking) I know it's a weird place to put this but after watching Depaul and St. Johns multiple times now I still can't believe it.

I know it never crossed anybody's mind who don't follow the Friars but is it possible Dunn and Bentil while great players weren't the leaders a young team needed? We should have been better last year.
FriarJ

Postby MackNova » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:15 pm

I respect the heck out of Cooley, but I was down on Providence entering the season. But down on Providence meant picking them 7th or 8th. Anyone who put any two teams besides DePaul and St. John's in the 9 and 10 spots were out of their minds.
MackNova

Postby FenwayFriar » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:17 pm

Wow. DePaul goes down 80-75. The more things change the more they stay the same. Didn't watch much of the game, but looked like there were more UIC fans than DePaul fans. Which means there were about 100 UIC fans there. Going to be embarrassing having a couple hundred people fill up the new arena next year.
FenwayFriar

Postby mel ott » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:18 pm

FriarJ wrote:I know it's crazy but I'm still wondering wtf some you were thinking to put an Ed Cooley team last in this league? Wishful thinking? Pure ignorance? Unbelievable stupidity? (I'm joking) I know it's a weird place to put this but after watching Depaul and St. Johns multiple times now I still can't believe it.

I know it never crossed anybody's mind who don't follow the Friars but is it possible Dunn and Bentil while great players weren't the leaders a young team needed? We should have been better last year.

Totally agree. Cooley is a great coach and person and he sees talent, recruits and develops players - just like our Coach Mac ( a little biased). Helluva a coach. Never count him out.
mel ott

Postby Rum_Ham » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:21 pm

Depaul has been barely beating teams on UIC's level all season so this shouldn't shock anyone. People will say fire Leitao but the person that really needs to be let go is the AD if Depaul hopes to turn things around.
Marquette 2016
Rum_Ham

Postby bobpp1 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:36 pm

Agree with you J to a degree. With the friars additions of Holt, Young, Diallo ,White and Jackson the friars are more versatile and a better defensive team this year. I've seen every friars game this year and this team I believe will be better then last years. Better shooting from deep but need to work on the free throws. Cooley is a great motivator and his players develop more every game. I'm sure he will remind his players about the preseason predictions before every game. Looking forward to the Big East wars
bobpp1

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:39 pm

If DePaul loses to Chicago State next week, the epic meltdown from the few fans left of the program would be hilarious.

It's a shame that the university does not value the men's basketball program, and instead allows an incompetent athletic director to focus all of the school's resources into women's sports. Unfortunately, it will take the empty seats of the brand new Wintrust Arena for anyone of importance at the school to notice. It's even more unfortunate that over half of the new stadium's construction costs are being paid for by taxpayers and not the school. Typical Chicago politics... :roll:

I hope every other Big East team beats DePaul twice. No one should have their RPI and W/L lowered to this team.
GoldenWarrior11

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board