(1) Tuesday BE Game 12/13/16 - temple-Villanova

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (1) Tuesday BE Game 12/13/16 - temple-Villanova

Postby Novachap » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:41 pm

Stever, Seems like you gotta find something to grab on to....

Temple will be much more pumped for this than SMU would have been BECAUSE of the Big 5. There is hatred. Of course nova knows about the target on their back... deal with it every night as for some of these OOC games it is their super bowl.

(Sidenote, glad you said REGULAR season, I think Iowa, then Miami, then Kansas, then OK, then UNC would blow that theory up in post season)

3 years of luck on the scheduling... seems a little out there, no?

Now this year,
So, Notre Dame then...Temple is good. Beat 2 top 25's this year.
Creighton, then Butler, then Marquette (wont be ranked) then Xavier....

The key to the strength of schedule and games after ranked teams are when Seton Hall and Prov.(if they get there) Are ranked. Then it becomes murderer's row. We close with Xavier, Depaul, then Hall, Butler, Creighton (and Georgetown). Go ahead, tell me where I am wrong.
Novachap

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:52 pm

Novachap wrote:Stever, Seems like you gotta find something to grab on to....

Temple will be much more pumped for this than SMU would have been BECAUSE of the Big 5. There is hatred. Of course nova knows about the target on their back... deal with it every night as for some of these OOC games it is their super bowl.

(Sidenote, glad you said REGULAR season, I think Iowa, then Miami, then Kansas, then OK, then UNC would blow that theory up in post season)

3 years of luck on the scheduling... seems a little out there, no?

Now this year,
So, Notre Dame then...Temple is good. Beat 2 top 25's this year.
Creighton, then Butler, then Marquette (wont be ranked) then Xavier....

The key to the strength of schedule and games after ranked teams are when Seton Hall and Prov.(if they get there) Are ranked. Then it becomes murderer's row. We close with Xavier, Depaul, then Hall, Butler, Creighton (and Georgetown). Go ahead, tell me where I am wrong.

spot on. that week stretch where they get Seton Hall, Butler, and Creighton could just be crazy.

I do think like you said- they got pretty lucky the last 2 years to not get a stretch like that. like last year- not only the ones that I mentioned but then....
after Oklahoma they got La Salle
after Virginia they got Delaware
after Providence they got St John's
after Xavier they got Marquette
stever20

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:10 pm

Stever it is OK for you every now and again to say: "you know, you're probably right."

The fact if you count Purdue this year, Nova has won the last 14 times after it has beaten a ranked team. Many have been in convincing fashion. So your point about Nova possibly letting down after a big win can not be supported with recent historical data. Maybe JW does a good job of making sure they stay "hungry and humble" and that is why they don't fall into traps that other teams do. Either way if you were to make a counter argument you need to find actual data points to support your position. 14-0 is not an anomaly. Temple lost to NH for instance after beating WVU. That is an example of a true let down even when playing a dog.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:25 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Stever it is OK for you every now and again to say: "you know, you're probably right."

The fact if you count Purdue this year, Nova has won the last 14 times after it has beaten a ranked team. Many have been in convincing fashion. So your point about Nova possibly letting down after a big win can not be supported with recent historical data. Maybe JW does a good job of making sure they stay "hungry and humble" and that is why they don't fall into traps that other teams do. Either way if you were to make a counter argument you need to find actual data points to support your position. 14-0 is not an anomaly. Temple lost to NH for instance after beating WVU. That is an example of a true let down even when playing a dog.

look at the opponents though.... after beating Purdue, nova beat Western Michigan. Yawn. So last 4 opponents after a ranked REGULAR SEASON win.... Creighton, Marquette, DePaul, and Western Michigan. In the last 10, you include those 4, Delaware, DePaul, and Seton Hall(who had collapsed). Bottom line, Nova hasn't had many times where the team they were playing after a ranked win was all that good.

Also, Temple had lost to NH BEFORE beating WVU. After beating WVU(which was after they beat top 25 FSU by the way), Temple beat St Joe's.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:29 pm

I would hope JW never overlooks an opponent. Especially a rival. Nova is typically going to get their opponent's best shot. Temple is pretty bipolar this year I believe, so I would be wary of underestimating them.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby whiteandblue77 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:26 pm

Will be interesting to see the FS1 ratings the past two nights, we've had by far the best CBB matchups... the Pavillion will be rockin' tonight! Going to be fun for lots of beer consumption. Last night was a GREAT win but damn that was painful to watch. SC defense was relentless and frustrating to look at.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby HoosierPal » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:53 pm

whiteandblue77 wrote:Will be interesting to see the FS1 ratings the past two nights, we've had by far the best CBB matchups... the Pavillion will be rockin' tonight! Going to be fun for lots of beer consumption. Last night was a GREAT win but damn that was painful to watch. SC defense was relentless and frustrating to look at.

Last night's ratings were weak. ESPN had 12.9 million for MNF. The UA DH had 116K for game 1 and 107K for game 2.

UNDER ARMOUR REUNION L FOX SPORTS 1 6:30 PM 8:50 PM 116 40
NBA: THE JUMP L ESPN2 3:30 PM 4:00 PM 112 61
UNDISPUTED L FOX SPORTS 1 9:30 AM 12:00 PM 112 66
COLLEGE BKBL REG SSN L ESPNU 7:00 PM 9:00 PM 111 25
NBA GAMETIME NBA-TV 2:03 AM 2:33 AM 109 55
UNDER ARMOUR REUNION L FOX SPORTS 1 9:14 PM 11:29 PM 107 36

https://sportstvratings.com/ravens-patriots-sportscenter-wwe-raw-top-cable-sports-ish-tv-ratings-for-monday-december-12-2016/7078/
HoosierPal

Postby whiteandblue77 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:53 pm

Two things to take away from this.

1. I'm stupid... that's bad for me.
2. I'm so into BEast B-ball that I've completely forgotten about Monday Night Football... that's good for me.

So let's start over, hopefully FS1 has good ratings for the Nova game.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby kayako » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:00 pm

Lucky might be a little strong expression to make a point, but he's not wrong in that Jay has his players get up for big 5 games. Nova is everyone's superbowl this season, so I don't know that Temple gets up for this game any more than other opponents.
supernova
kayako

Postby ecasadoSBU » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:21 pm

I was wrong. Nova being Nova at this point. Blowing them out... and I couldn't be any more happier to be proved wrong. Nova is beast!
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board