(1) Thurs BE Game 12/08/2016 - Fordham v SJU...

The home for Big East hoops

Postby billyjack » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:40 am

One game tonight in the Big East:

Fordham at St John's, 6:30pm.

The Johnnies have won 2 straight:
- blowout at Tulane.
- squeaker vs CS Northridge.

Fordham has lost 3 straight:
- vs Tex-Arlington by 4.
- vs Sacred Heart by 1.
- at Harvard.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: (1) Thurs BE Game 12/08/2016 - Fordham v SJU...

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:50 am

to me, this is a HUGE game for where St John's is.

If St John's can't get up for this one, and beat the crap out of Fordham, it's going to speak volumes. After what happened last year.

For those that forget, just looked at the thread after the game.... Supposedly Mullin said :"you are an a$$hole and we are going to beat your a$$ next year."
stever20

Postby hoops22 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:46 am

LoVett didn't practice yesterday, and one of the papers said he's doubtful for tonight. Still, we should still be able to beat Fordham, particularly in a payback game, even if he is out for tonight.
hoops22

Postby SJHooper » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:13 pm

Yes Mullin was not happy last time. Fordham had their starters in all game even way after it was an obvious blowout. LoVett will not play tonight. This game to many others is meaningless and if not for last year's result it wouldn't be as big a game. This is a statement game, because we claim to be THE NYC college hoops team. Not one of them. This is big for local perception. Lose, and everyone will be saying "wow SJ really has lost it since their glory years...they aren't even the best in NYC anymore". Win, and everyone will be saying "SJ isn't that good yet but they are still THE NYC team".

It really shouldn't matter if LoVett plays or not. This should be a 10+ point win even without him, but the Delaware St. game really threw me for a loop. That game essentially told us anything can happen even if we are wayyyy more talented than the other team who was barely D1. With LoVett I would be cautiously optimistic. Without LoVett, I'm nervous. I think we will learn a lot from how we start out. If there is a real sense of urgency and energy we will win. If not, it may be a dud. Mullin hasn't shown he can coach yet, but hopefully he can at least motivate them to give 100% this game. Seeing how angry he was last time, I'm sure he will remind them that Fordham was laughing at us.
SJHooper

Postby NJRedman » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:43 pm

hoops22 wrote:LoVett didn't practice yesterday, and one of the papers said he's doubtful for tonight. Still, we should still be able to beat Fordham, particularly in a payback game, even if he is out for tonight.

He's out tonight and is in a walking boot with a sprained ankle.
NJRedman

Postby Bluejay » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:43 pm

stever20 wrote:For those that forget, just looked at the thread after the game.... Supposedly Mullin said :"you are an a$$hole and we are going to beat your a$$ next year."

Did the Fordham fans make fun of his shoes?
Bluejay

Postby NJRedman » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:55 pm

Mullin kept his word.
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:05 pm

to me this is a huge win for St John's. Not just the mental side, but it's probably the 2nd best team that St John's has beat in the Mullin Tenure. And to do it with not everyone healthy is pretty important.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:43 pm

Johnnies with the blowout win over Fordham, 90 to 62 or something.
Providence
billyjack

Postby SJHooper » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:50 pm

For all who call me a pessimist, this was a fantastic game. Again, this was Fordham...a bad team. But still, we moved the ball, made the extra pass, hustled, played decent defense, and we shot the ball very well. We also dominated on the boards. This was a complete win all around. Ponds came out and showed he is an incredible player...the guy doesn't just score, he does it all. He rebounds, he steals, and he racks up assists. He's so calm and collected and just knows what to do. It's natural for him. He looks like a senior as a freshman and I can't say I've ever seen that as a SJ fan about any player. Just imagine him staying 4 years with LoVett. Wow.

This team can really shoot from 3...I thought we might have just gotten hot a few games early on but we have proven we can consistently shoot 40%+. Teams will have to guard us tight behind the arc. This should open up our inside game that lacks so much. Man, this was so nice...I was at a bar drinking some beers, eating wings, and the bartender had the game on 5 TV's at a big sports bar as we just plowed through Fordham. Sweet, sweet revenge. At the end of the game when I saw Holyfield hurrying down the court with a few seconds left, you know that Mullin said "shoot it don't dribble it out" after what happened last year. Not only did he shoot the 3, he made it. A walk on making a 3 at the buzzer already up a bunch just to laugh at Fordham that much more. Mullin won't take disrespect and if you disrespect us we will pay you back. I love it. Goodnight all!
SJHooper

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board