(4) Wednesday Big East Games 12/07/2016...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (4) Wednesday Big East Games 12/07/2016...

Postby whiteandblue77 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:24 am

It's pretty clear everything is settling to the mean. Big East regained our position as #1 conference based on standup performances by Creighton and Seton Hall while X and Butler took a step back but tonight we're back to ONE. Chin up fellas. We'll see you in conference play, when we get down to business.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:45 am

kayako wrote:How does Butler shoot 55% from the 3 and lose to Indiana State? Kelan Martin hasn't looked good since the season started, what's going on there?

Xavier looks a lot more like Seton Hall than a NC contender. Gaston was unstoppable, but they ignored him down the stretch.

By allowing Indiana St to shoot 45% from 3 and 50% on 2's. Despite the great 3-point shooting, Need to defend better.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:47 am

ecasadoSBU wrote:Thank you Xavier and Butler for ruining what could've otherwise been a GREAT night. I didn't expect Butler to fall apart... and I though Xavier was going to bounce back from the Baylor game. Oh well...

This makes the weekend even more important for the league.

Its December 8th and the Big East is still top in the RPI. I dont wanna jinx anything... but if this league holds up the #1 spot I can see 6 bids coming out the league easily. Just KEEP WINNING!

Every season has some tough road losses.
Bill Marsh

Postby JohnW22 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:56 am

jfan wrote:
JohnW22 wrote:A few thoughts

- Usually I'm the first person to say the sky is falling when it involves Xavier but I think this is a 4-6 seed team by tournament time with Myles Davis. This team is pretty much playing without their third option(just think of some of the other Big East teams playing without their third option)
- Xavier's free throw shooting has been AWFUL
- Macura is going through a major slump right now and needs to get out of it fast
- Sumner is not an NBA player. Reminds me of Semaj where preseason we thought he'd be gone for sure then through the season found out he isn't ready just hope Sumner doesn't make the same mistake(A little early to point out this one but if this is what Sumner will be like all year)
- If Gaston can play like this all season I'm really excited but I'm 90% sure this is a fluke(or maybe he's been reading the Holy Land of Hoops forums for motivation seeing what I've been saying about our bigs :D )
- We might have expected too much out of Kaiser Gates
What is the status on Davis. I still think X will be OK, but it still hurts big time not to have him in there!

Mack said he will return closer to conference play. Most seem to think it'll be the Wake Forest game because that's the game after the first semester is over.
XU
JohnW22

Postby BEhomer » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:55 am

kayako wrote:How does Butler shoot 55% from the 3 and lose to Indiana State? Kelan Martin hasn't looked good since the season started, what's going on there?

Xavier looks a lot more like Seton Hall than a NC contender. Gaston was unstoppable, but they ignored him down the stretch.

Martin looks slow and doesn't seem to have the same bounce. Maybe I just expected a lot more from him. Maybe he just needs to get into his mid-season form.
BEhomer

Postby BEhomer » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:15 am

X @ Heart wrote:We need Myles desperatley. No need to fret, two tough road games both losses. But lately Bernard, Jones, Gooden and Macura and Gates have disappeared. O'Mara I just dont understand. But X will bounce back. We just cant put the ball in the basket. Starting to wonder if out rebounding your opponent is a bit overrated.

They lack a true point. Sumner is more of a slasher. i think an experienced guard like Myles will do wonders for their offense.
BEhomer

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:21 am

whiteandblue77 wrote:It's pretty clear everything is settling to the mean. Big East regained our position as #1 conference based on standup performances by Creighton and Seton Hall while X and Butler took a step back but tonight we're back to ONE. Chin up fellas. We'll see you in conference play, when we get down to business.

With the remaining schedule left, with very few road or neutral site games, and a lot of cupcakes left, probably won't wind up #1 even with a lot of wins. Only 8 neutral site games left, and only 5 road games left. With about 25 home games left. Got 13 games left with teams with a RPI of 200 or greater.
stever20

Postby FDS » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:51 am

Jet915 wrote:Just curious why Butler schedules Indiana State yearly? Really nothing to gain from it. Similar to UNO fans clamoring for us to play them. All risk, no reward IMO. I know both teams came from mid-major roots but now we are in the Big East, we should schedule like a major conference team (ie one and one's w/F5 teams).

This was the last game of a long standing series... I don't believe you will see Indiana State on Butler's schedule for a very long time now.
FDS

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:58 am

Oddly enough, I am not really upset. Xavier is taking some lumps early but I think ultimately it will make them better. After experiencing a regular season high followed up by a March defeat last year it only cemented even further in my mind that March comes before all else. Last year Villanova last back-2-back road games (Oklahoma & Virginia) and learned from it. Hopefully my Muskies do the same.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby JohnW22 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:00 am

BEhomer wrote:
X @ Heart wrote:We need Myles desperatley. No need to fret, two tough road games both losses. But lately Bernard, Jones, Gooden and Macura and Gates have disappeared. O'Mara I just dont understand. But X will bounce back. We just cant put the ball in the basket. Starting to wonder if out rebounding your opponent is a bit overrated.

They lack a true point. Sumner is more of a slasher. i think an experienced guard like Myles will do wonders for their offense.

Myles isn't going to fix the true point guard issue. Myles is a shooting guard and will get very limited minutes at the point just like last year.
XU
JohnW22

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board