(5) Tuesday Big East Games 12/06/2016

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (5) Tuesday Big East Games 12/06/2016

Postby ecasadoSBU » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:19 pm

Still early... but it's looking like it can be a 5-0 night for the B.E. Both DePaul and Seton Hall leading... SHU still in the 1st half however
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby adoraz » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:33 pm

5-0 would be very nice. All winnable games, but you're bound to slip up and go 4-1.

Nice job DePaul. Finish strong Hall.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby FenwayFriar » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:39 pm

One note from PC's 95-57 drubbing of Brown. They held Brown's leading scorer, Steven Spieth, to 5 points. You may have heard of his brother, Jordan.

Should be a closer game Saturday vs. UMass but hopefully the end result will be the same.
FenwayFriar

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:53 pm

Well that last minute was ugly, and I'm sure infuriating to anyone who bet Hall with the spread. The important thing is it's a win. Hopefully Desi is okay.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Jet915 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:26 am

FenwayFriar wrote:One note from PC's 95-57 drubbing of Brown. They held Brown's leading scorer, Steven Spieth, to 5 points. You may have heard of his brother, Jordan.

Should be a closer game Saturday vs. UMass but hopefully the end result will be the same.

UMass would be a good win, likely top 100 rpi type win at the end of the year.
Jet915

Postby ecasadoSBU » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:43 am

Its December 7th and the Big East remains at the top of Conference RPIs as per Warren Nolan. In the three years I been following the conference post breakup I don't recall the Big East leading the RPIs in December... It has always been the B12 followed by B10 and ACC.

This year is proving to be a great year. The league's best year yet at least when it comes to numbers (RPI and WPCT)

The rest of the week is huge for the league

B.E .6050
B12 .6028
B10 .5881
ACC .5842
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby billyjack » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:56 am

gosports1 wrote:
billyjack wrote:Five games Tuesday night in the Big East:

Brown at Providence, 7pm.
La Salle at #1 Villanova, 7pm.
Fresno State at Marquette, 7:30pm.
Lamar at DePaul, 9pm.
Seton Hall at Hawaii, 9:30pm.

Under Ed Cooley, the Friars are like 54-1 at home vs non-conference opponents, with the only loss being to Brown. Did you know, back in the 80's and earlier Brown was nicknamed the Bruins? Did you know there's a huge stuffed Kodiak bear in their hockey rink lobby (last time i checked anyway)? Did you know that the Dunk might be closer to Brown than to PC? Of course, RISD is even closer, a pretty cool school... and i know of an HLoH moderator that is an alum from there... if you're spending a weekend in Providence and are looking for a quick cultural thing to do before a late tip-off vs the Friars, spend an hour at the RISD Art Museum*... then get dinner near RISD at Hemenway's for seafood, or head over to Federal Hill for Italian... each within walking distance, like 15 to 20 minutes... just wear winter clothing cuz it gets windy down along the river.

* yes, they have some nude sculptures and paintings.

I think Spats had anude sculpture. :lol: Is Spats still there?

Lol, hey i used to go to Spat's back in the 80's! Corner of Thayer and Angell. I think it's still there, not sure if under same name, but with sidewalk tables added a couple of years ago. The Avon Cinema is still there and is still showing cool movies. The College Hill Bookstore is now a clothing store, so that sucks.

Nowadays, Thayer has way more restaurants, stores and nice places compared to the late 80's... back then after 10pm there was nowhere to eat... it seemed like only Store-24 was open, plus the beaten down silver truck grill parked near George Street... plus crappy pizza delivery. Wow, this hits a distant part but nice area of my brain's memory bank... pretty cool. (for anyone confused, Thayer Street is the main commercial street around Brown and RISD on the East Side).
Providence
billyjack

Postby milwaukeejedi1 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:48 am

“I come from New York where, if you fall down, someone will pick you up by your wallet (Al McGuire).”

http://mufanatic.com/
milwaukeejedi1

Postby hoyahooligan » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:34 pm

Was at the Brown game. Very boring game not like the URI game at all. Selfishly was hoping that Providence would look past Brown and have a let down after the URI win so I could watch an entertaining game. And worst of all it was such a blow out that 1) couldn't learn much scouting providence. 2) my guy Kartwright barely played killing my fantasy team. :evil:
hoyahooligan

Postby gosports1 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:19 pm

billyjack wrote:
gosports1 wrote:
billyjack wrote:Five games Tuesday night in the Big East:

Brown at Providence, 7pm.
La Salle at #1 Villanova, 7pm.
Fresno State at Marquette, 7:30pm.
Lamar at DePaul, 9pm.
Seton Hall at Hawaii, 9:30pm.

Under Ed Cooley, the Friars are like 54-1 at home vs non-conference opponents, with the only loss being to Brown. Did you know, back in the 80's and earlier Brown was nicknamed the Bruins? Did you know there's a huge stuffed Kodiak bear in their hockey rink lobby (last time i checked anyway)? Did you know that the Dunk might be closer to Brown than to PC? Of course, RISD is even closer, a pretty cool school... and i know of an HLoH moderator that is an alum from there... if you're spending a weekend in Providence and are looking for a quick cultural thing to do before a late tip-off vs the Friars, spend an hour at the RISD Art Museum*... then get dinner near RISD at Hemenway's for seafood, or head over to Federal Hill for Italian... each within walking distance, like 15 to 20 minutes... just wear winter clothing cuz it gets windy down along the river.

* yes, they have some nude sculptures and paintings.

I think Spats had anude sculpture. :lol: Is Spats still there?

Lol, hey i used to go to Spat's back in the 80's! Corner of Thayer and Angell. I think it's still there, not sure if under same name, but with sidewalk tables added a couple of years ago. The Avon Cinema is still there and is still showing cool movies. The College Hill Bookstore is now a clothing store, so that sucks.

Nowadays, Thayer has way more restaurants, stores and nice places compared to the late 80's... back then after 10pm there was nowhere to eat... it seemed like only Store-24 was open, plus the beaten down silver truck grill parked near George Street... plus crappy pizza delivery. Wow, this hits a distant part but nice area of my brain's memory bank... pretty cool. (for anyone confused, Thayer Street is the main commercial street around Brown and RISD on the East Side).

I don't think ive been back to Brown/Thayer St since the latte 80s. at least other than maybe driving through neighborhood. if the eastside has changed and developed as much as downtown providence I'm sure it must be nice
gosports1

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board