Syracuse/UCONN

The home for Big East hoops

Syracuse/UCONN

Postby hoops22 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:24 pm

At halftime of the Johnnies game, and again when the game was finished, I managed to catch a little of the Cuse/UCONN game tonight. Without question, that was the ugliest, most unwatchable basketball I've seen in years, and being a St. John's fan that's saying a lot. After witnessing that slop, I honestly believe the Johnnies will have a legitimate chance against the Orange, when they play in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I hope they sanitize the Garden after those two teams and those two fan bases were in the building tonight.
hoops22

Syracuse/UCONN

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Syracuse/UCONN

Postby ecasadoSBU » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:32 am

Terrible shooting from both sides. But still fun to watch CUSE/CONN go at it. I was flipping the channels from FS1/ESPN2 every few minutes. Glad that Connecticut won, glad the ACC got another loss, and even better than SJU won for the Big East.

Big East still above the ACC in RPI as of tonight. The rest of this week can really help (or screw us up) the league stay in the 1-3 spots in the RPI index for the rest of the year + HUGE weekend ahead
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby SJHooper » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:19 am

I'm glad Cuse lost, because UConn is already finished. Cuse was just ranked recently, so this basically ensures that neither UConn nor Cuse will be ranked for a while. Fun fact: this was the first time both of these teams played without being ranked in nearly 10 years (2007). They need the Big East and not vice versa.
SJHooper

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:08 am

Simply amazing that these 2 bad teams can still garner more press than our 4 good teams in the major media.

Joe Lunardi promptly demoted X to 18th and the two major polls dropped them to 14th. CBS has them in 13th also. Not many talking heads had been talking much about Xavier or Creighton previously. Norlander has a piece on the undefeated teams, including notes on Nova, Butler, and Creighton. Nova is getting some press - thanks to their Natty and hot start, with Hart in the NPOY conversation. Butler is beginning to get some national coverage...no doubt aided by their win over Arizona.

The lack of interest, let alone love, for our guys is appalling. Maybe it's just me being overly sensitive...but more national press coverage can easily done and would be appropriate. IMO it appears that the talking heads have decided to ignore the Big East - maybe we will go away?
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby ecasadoSBU » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:13 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Simply amazing that these 2 bad teams can still garner more press than our 4 good teams in the major media.

Joe Lunardi promptly demoted X to 18th and the two major polls dropped them to 14th. CBS has them in 13th also. Not many talking heads had been talking much about Xavier or Creighton previously. Norlander has a piece on the undefeated teams, including notes on Nova, Butler, and Creighton. Nova is getting some press - thanks to their Natty and hot start, with Hart in the NPOY conversation. Butler is beginning to get some national coverage...no doubt aided by their win over Arizona.

The lack of interest, let alone love, for our guys is appalling. Maybe it's just me being overly sensitive...but more national press coverage can easily done and would be appropriate. IMO it appears that the talking heads have decided to ignore the Big East - maybe we will go away?

It's been like this for several years now. You should be used to it.

The media simply refuses to hype any Big East team like they used to prior to the breakup. A lot of that media is ESPN. ESPN has so much power to create a buzz around a program. It is what it is though. Just keep winning!
ecasadoSBU

Postby EMT » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:15 am

ecasadoSBU wrote:Terrible shooting from both sides. But still fun to watch CUSE/CONN go at it. I was flipping the channels from FS1/ESPN2 every few minutes. Glad that Connecticut won, glad the ACC got another loss, and even better than SJU won for the Big East.

Big East still above the ACC in RPI as of tonight. The rest of this week can really help (or screw us up) the league stay in the 1-3 spots in the RPI index for the rest of the year + HUGE weekend ahead

Wow. You might be the only guy alive that would call that still fun to watch..... :D
EMT

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:22 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Simply amazing that these 2 bad teams can still garner more press than our 4 good teams in the major media.

You know why Xavier dropped. all the teams just below them lost. Virginia was a spot ahead of them last week and lost to a good WVU team, and they're now behind Xavier.

Part of things is there's a lot of days right now where the league is only playing cupcakes. Last night a great example. Is the media going to talk about CS Northridge/St John's or UConn/Syracuse? Frankly, it better be UConn/Syracuse, because if its St John's, that would have meant that SJ lost the game!

I'd wait until Saturday before I'd complain too much about the media. Saturday the league plays a great schedule-
DePaul vs Temple
#1 Villanova vs #23 Notre Dame
UMass @ PC
LaSalle vs Georgetown
#17 Wisconsin @ Marquette
#22 Cincy @ #16 Butler
Utah @ #13 Xavier

If the league goes 5-2 or better, they're going to get some attention. But if the league goes 2-5 or something like that, they're ALSO going to get some attention.
stever20

Postby ecasadoSBU » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:41 am

EMT wrote:
ecasadoSBU wrote:Terrible shooting from both sides. But still fun to watch CUSE/CONN go at it. I was flipping the channels from FS1/ESPN2 every few minutes. Glad that Connecticut won, glad the ACC got another loss, and even better than SJU won for the Big East.

Wow. You might be the only guy alive that would call that still fun to watch..... :D

While I wouldn't call myself a UConn fan... I do sympathize with the huskies. Fiancee's alma mater and spent some great days at Storrs. I was happy Connecticut came through for the W. Always a great day when Syracuse gets an L. As bad as the game was, it's fun to see a UConn victory over Cuse
ecasadoSBU

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:44 am

You know it pains ESPN to acknowledge the #1 team in the country as coming from the Big East in Villanova.

UConn/Syracuse just lacked the historical excitement as it did previously. Boeheim didn't really care all that much, and UConn did its best to throw the game away at the end.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Edrick » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:15 am

Creighton is currently 22nd in the country. They are not underrated. If anything they are a little overrated by the polls presently.
Edrick

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board