(1) Monday Big East Game 12/05/2016 - Csun v SJU...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (1) Monday Big East Game 12/05/2016 - Csun v SJU...

Postby REDMEN1415 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:55 am

SJHooper wrote:
SJUBBALL wrote:Good observation. Yakwe seems to have even regressed so far this year. He seems to think way too much now, he just put his head down and played last year.

Enjoyed the win tonight. Very scared for big east play. We play very soft defense, big east level teams are gonna destroy us in the interior. Think 5 or 6 wins in Big East play might a reasonable expectation. Hope we can go 4-0 here to end non - conference. Syracuse looks a kind of weak so far this year, so maybe we can steal one at the Carrier Dome.

Just hope we can see some major progress as the year goes on, something to give us a reason to get excited for next season. Justin Simon, Marvin Clarke, and top 40 recruit Zach Brown will help. But for me to say next year could possibly be a tournament team, i need to see some serious signs THIS season. Haven't seen any thus far.

4-0 against Fordham (they are 179 we are 115 especially considering we lost to the 341 team), Penn State (at worst as good as Minnesota who dominated us), Syracuse, etc.? I think the most realistic is we go 2-2 heading into conference play. If we go 4-0 it would be shocking. By the way, we don't even know if LoVett will be ready to play. They said he's day to day with an ankle injury but being in a boot seems more severe than day to day.

We have good guards but Ahmed is out of control and our bigs are probably among the worst in the country. When every mid major you play has bigs that dominate you, it's a problem.

After the Delaware St. game, I can't say anything even after these wins. For me, the only remedy would be winning at the Carrier dome.

Thank god for Owens, he's the only one battling for position, and getting rebounds out of the big 3, and I didn't see Sima in the 2nd half.
REDMEN1415

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:07 am

SJHooper wrote:We had a solid game to bounce back vs. Tulane, but we really need to stop relying so much on the 3 ball. It's a great tactic when you can make 70% of them, but how often is that?

Never.

St. John's is hitting 40% of their 3's so far this year, 29th in the country. Teams that hit 40% of their 3's can do a lot of damage and win a lot of games. Gotta go with your strength . . . And play some D.
Bill Marsh

Postby SJHooper » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:15 am

Bill, the problem is that we cannot buy a point in the paint it seems. Basically, if you stop our 3 point barrage you will win...probably convincingly too. Good teams do both so even if you shoot 28% from 3 on an off day, you can still adjust and be effective in the paint. As I have said and will continue to say, we need our version of a Stainbrook or Ochefu BADLY.
SJHooper

Postby novahoops11 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:20 am

SJHooper wrote:
-Fox had Mullin mic'd up in the huddle and his words of wisdom were "keep grinding".

Saw that too, he's been watching tape of Jay. :D
novahoops11

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:04 am

Bill Marsh wrote:
SJHooper wrote:We had a solid game to bounce back vs. Tulane, but we really need to stop relying so much on the 3 ball. It's a great tactic when you can make 70% of them, but how often is that?

Never.

St. John's is hitting 40% of their 3's so far this year, 29th in the country. Teams that hit 40% of their 3's can do a lot of damage and win a lot of games. Gotta go with your strength . . . And play some D.

a lot of that though is a function of opponents....
vs 340 Bethune Cookman, 287 Binghamton, 326 Delaware St, 256 Tulane, 221 CS Northridge they are shooting 60-131 from 3. 45.8%
vs 50 Minnesota, 38 Michigan St, 43 VCU, 94 Old Dominion they are shooting 31-95. 32.6%

in wins- 48/94 51.1%
in losses- 43/132 32.6%

They aren't shooting 40% against everyone, or really against anyone with a pulse.
stever20

Postby SJUBBALL » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:31 am

novahoops11 wrote:
SJHooper wrote:
-Fox had Mullin mic'd up in the huddle and his words of wisdom were "keep grinding".

Saw that too, he's been watching tape of Jay. :D

The worst one I've ever seen is still Willard from SHU. They gave him the little white board to draw up a play. Instead he yelled "We have to play better defense!" and wrote the letter D on the board, and that was it.
SJUBBALL

Postby NJRedman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:13 pm

SJHooper wrote:
SJUBBALL wrote:Good observation. Yakwe seems to have even regressed so far this year. He seems to think way too much now, he just put his head down and played last year.

Enjoyed the win tonight. Very scared for big east play. We play very soft defense, big east level teams are gonna destroy us in the interior. Think 5 or 6 wins in Big East play might a reasonable expectation. Hope we can go 4-0 here to end non - conference. Syracuse looks a kind of weak so far this year, so maybe we can steal one at the Carrier Dome.

Just hope we can see some major progress as the year goes on, something to give us a reason to get excited for next season. Justin Simon, Marvin Clarke, and top 40 recruit Zach Brown will help. But for me to say next year could possibly be a tournament team, i need to see some serious signs THIS season. Haven't seen any thus far.

4-0 against Fordham (they are 179 we are 115 especially considering we lost to the 341 team), Penn State (at worst as good as Minnesota who dominated us), Syracuse, etc.? I think the most realistic is we go 2-2 heading into conference play. If we go 4-0 it would be shocking. By the way, we don't even know if LoVett will be ready to play. They said he's day to day with an ankle injury but being in a boot seems more severe than day to day.

We have good guards but Ahmed is out of control and our bigs are probably among the worst in the country. When every mid major you play has bigs that dominate you, it's a problem.

Minnesota beat us but they didn't dominate us. We lost by 6 and scored 86 points. So once again your hyperbole is showing your true pessimistic self.
NJRedman

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:02 pm

stever20 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

Never.

a lot of that though is a function of opponents....
vs 340 Bethune Cookman, 287 Binghamton, 326 Delaware St, 256 Tulane, 221 CS Northridge they are shooting 60-131 from 3. 45.8%
vs 50 Minnesota, 38 Michigan St, 43 VCU, 94 Old Dominion they are shooting 31-95. 32.6%

in wins- 48/94 51.1%
in losses- 43/132 32.6%

They aren't shooting 40% against everyone, or really against anyone with a pulse.

Sorry, but I'm not following the logic of your comment. Being lower rated doesn't mean a team defends poorly against the 3. There could be a lot of reasons why they're losing games. For example, Delaware State holds teams to 35% from behind the arc, which is good 3-point defense, but St John's shot 53% from 3 against them. At the other extreme, Tulane is one of the worst teams in the country against the 3 (43%), but St John's shot 64% against them. Sure, they exploited a weak defense, but they did it at a level way beyond what most other teams do.

I'm not sure what your point is with regard to wins and losses. As a team that depends heavily on the 3, of course they're losing games when their shots are not falling. When they are, they win.

St John's problem is not that they're shooting 3's, it's that they don't defend well and that they don't have much of an inside game.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:07 pm

SJHooper wrote:Bill, the problem is that we cannot buy a point in the paint it seems. Basically, if you stop our 3 point barrage you will win...probably convincingly too. Good teams do both so even if you shoot 28% from 3 on an off day, you can still adjust and be effective in the paint. As I have said and will continue to say, we need our version of a Stainbrook or Ochefu BADLY.

Completely agree. But they don't have one, so what are you going to do? Here's what I'm looking for from them:

Priority one is that they have to defend. If they don't do that, nothing else will matter.

As much as penetration can set up 3's on the kick out, it can work the other way too. As teams start to guard them more closely on the perimeter, it can open up the inside for scoring opportunities. The perimeter players have to learn to take advantage of those opportunities with passes to the interior players. We'll see if that happens.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:22 pm

teams that are lower rated don't have the athletes that the good teams do. And they won't get those shots when they play good teams. Against any good team, they're only shooting 32.6% from 3 point range. In conference play, you're playing teams like Xavier and Villanova, not like Bethune Cookman.

It's easy to do stuff when it's easy. Let's see St John's shoot well against a team with a pulse.

And yes, to me one of St John's problems is they're relying way too much on 3's. In Atlantis for instance- 39% of their shots were 3's. That's great if you're hitting, but they were only 20/68 from 3. The reason why Nova was so good last year was they didn't just rely on the 3 ball. In the tourney, only 36% of their shots were 3's, and after UNC Asheville, it was only barely over 33%.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board