(1) Monday Big East Game 12/05/2016 - Csun v SJU...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (1) Monday Big East Game 12/05/2016 - Csun v SJU...

Postby NJRedman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:17 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
stever20 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
Never.

St. John's is hitting 40% of their 3's so far this year, 29th in the country. Teams that hit 40% of their 3's can do a lot of damage and win a lot of games. Gotta go with your strength . . . And play some D.

a lot of that though is a function of opponents....
vs 340 Bethune Cookman, 287 Binghamton, 326 Delaware St, 256 Tulane, 221 CS Northridge they are shooting 60-131 from 3. 45.8%
vs 50 Minnesota, 38 Michigan St, 43 VCU, 94 Old Dominion they are shooting 31-95. 32.6%

in wins- 48/94 51.1%
in losses- 43/132 32.6%

They aren't shooting 40% against everyone, or really against anyone with a pulse.

Sorry, but I'm not following the logic of your comment. Being a lower rated doesn't mean a team defends poorly against the 3. There could be a lot of reasons why they're losing games. For example, Delaware State holds teams to 35% from behind the arc, which is good 3-point defense, but St John's shot 53% from 3 against them. At the other extreme, Tulane is one of the worst teams in the country against the 3 (43%), but St John's shot 64% against them. Sure, they exploited a weak defense, but they did it at a level way beyond what most other teams do.

I'm not sure what your point is with regard to wins and losses. As a team that depends heavily on the 3, of course they're losing games when their shots are not falling. When they are, they win.

St John's problem is not that they're shooting 3's, it's that they don't defend well and that they don't have much of an inside game.

We can score, we just can't defend. We are averaging just under 77 points a game. Our defense is our big weak spot.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red Rooster » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:41 pm

NJRedman wrote:We can score, we just can't defend. We are averaging just under 77 points a game. Our defense is our big weak spot.

We can actually win with our style of play. There are other ways to get our bigs into play, too. I'd have the bigs crashing the offensive boards. If you wanna "eat," then go out there and hunt for your "food." Just attack and attack the offensive boards.

They can run, so I would play an aggressive and trapping style of play out of a 1-2-2. Ponds and LoVett are kinda crafty with their hands, and could garner steals to get out on the break. I'd also occasionally play a 2-3 zone. We have some rangy players, and playing zone could allow them to get deflections in the zone. The zone also could allow backside help for more block shots (we're certainly getting our share now).

I think doing those things I mentioned above could go a long way to improving our defense.
Red Rooster

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board