To SactownDog

The home for Big East hoops

Re: To SactownDog

Postby Bluejay » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:34 pm

Sactowndog wrote: While I am not a Shocker fan,

Riiiiiight. I've never seen anyone try so hard and so often to claim that they were NOT a fan of a particular school. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... ;)

What is so funny about Sactown's posts are that he keeps talking about the Creighton-WSU rivalry as if it was some nationally known, long time rivalry. It was a rivalry for about 5 whole years. Even then I don't know if qualifies as a rivalry as much as just a battle for the conference crown. Prior to those 5 years, Creighton's long-time rivals were Southern Illinois (SIU) and Nebraska. What happened is that SIU fell apart and WSU just took their spot in the conference rankings. There was no long-term hatred or rivalry for the nation to be aware of. I don't know of any Creighton fans that miss playing WSU. I don't buy it all when he says that he could tell from California that it was a big rivalry, so he tuned in. I suspect he has ties to Wichita and is a long time Shocker fan. It really is the only explanation that makes any sense.

Lastly, the idea that he came up to Omaha for volleyball matches and somehow ran into some unbearable group of Creighton fans is the silliest thing Ive ever heard. Ya, like Creighton fans travel in mass packs and hang out at volleyball tourneys harassing Californians for no reason. Sure dude. We all buy it. :roll:
Bluejay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby whiteandblue77 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:25 pm

Bluejay wrote:Prior to those 5 years, Creighton's long-time rivals were Southern Illinois (SIU) and Nebraska.

SIU a long-term rival? NOT. Marquette was our long-time rival until the Nebraska series got rolling again (after a 40-year hiatus) in the late 70s. Now it's just Nebraska until we get a new Big East rival. I think it would go back to Marquette but thanks to Al they pulled way ahead in the series then the series stopped for some reason. But we have to start beating them enough for them to hate us again :D I remember McGuire as an announcer talking about Creighton's stall game, used it way before Dean Smith's four corners, we'd get up by a bucket then pass it around for the entire half. :lol: used to drive teams nuts and was the reason for shot clocks.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby Sactowndog » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:17 pm

sju88grad wrote:
bluejayfanatic wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:Vanderbuilt 22 14% Very hard

I hear no one's getting into Vanderbuilt.

And Standford is really tough too....

Multitasking while at work, a little too busy to cut and fix the errors. Figured even you guys could figure it out.
Sactowndog

Postby Sactowndog » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:24 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
Savannah Jay wrote:
I think the acceptance rate at WCC is 95.8%, which makes it the easiest school in Kansas, and perhaps on planet earth, to get into. I think there would be permanent indigestion in DC if someone like that were a "colleague" of Georgetown (not to mention other Big East schools).

The acceptance rate of Wichita state is 95% about the same as K-State and Kansas. The acceptance rate of Creighton is 72.7 hardly a top tier school..

Pomona College, where I attended is 9.1%
Smith College, where my wife attended is 36%

We have both traveled to Omaha to watch Volleyball. While I have tried to avoid straight attacks, the Creighton fans are one of the biggest stick up your a$$, smug fan bases for no apparent reason I have seen. The only fan base that compares with Creighton is CAL Berkeley and at least CAL's acceptance rate is 17.5. Even other Pac-12 schools hate Cal fans and I am sure it is just a matter of time before Creighton fans are the same. While I am not a Shocker fan, I am an anti-Creighton fan and I would definitely more then enjoy watching them shove it down your throat in a almost any sport solely because you guys are such a$$es as a fan base.

Why don't you try to get your acceptance rate under 50% before you look down your nose at other schools.

So your data says WCC acceptance rate is 95%, and I stated it was 95.8%. Those are not statistically disparate numbers. You do know that, right? And believe it or not, but 72.7% acceptance rate is actually, statistically, more difficult to get into than a school with a 95% acceptance rate. So nothing I said was incorrect, but it still gave you butt-hurt.

Wasn't disputing your statement about the Wichita acceptance rate. Was more surprised your acceptance rate smack given Creighton's crappy numbers. At least choose something your school excels in if you are going to run smack.
Sactowndog

Postby Sactowndog » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:30 pm

Doge McDermott wrote:
cu blujs wrote:Creighton Wichita State was never a rivalry. Oh sure, maybe for about the last two years CU was in the MVC. CU rarely played WSU prior to rejoining the Valley in the mid to late 70s. From there, since WSU got caught cheating and put on probation, they have been largely irrelevant. They were still relatively good through most of the 80s, but at that time Creighton was so bad that it didn't matter much to the few of us following CU in those days, and few if anyone at Creighton gave Wichita St any thought. Creighton's resurgence in the mid-90s began a period of 15 plus years where Wichita St was almost completely irrelevant in the MVC and the minds of Creighton fans. Southern Illinois was primarily CU's rival for supremacy in the league in those days - and to a lesser extent Missouri St. due to most fans' disdain for the helmet head now coaching at UCLA. Outside of the fact that WSU fans were the most obnoxious, idiotic people we would run into in St. Louis each year, most CU fans could not have cared less about WSU until Greggggggg Marshall came on the scene and made WSU relevant about 2010 or so. No doubt all CU fans took great delight in smoking WSU on senior night in our last game in the MVC to take the title from WSU and beating them again in St. Louis to take the last MVC tournament title on our way out the door. But, if Creighton WSU was a "rivalry", it was about as short lived a rivalry as ever existed.

Yeah, the rivalry was really a Creighton Vs. Whoever-Is-Kinda-Good-in-the-MVC-this-year. No one else had our sustained success to be real. It was SIU when I was at Creighton. Wichita State just happened to fit that mold the last couple years we were there. If we were still in the MVC, I'm not sure we'd call it a rivalry in five years, as WSU is clearly in decline.

At least we could shoot the shit with SIU fans in STL. WSU never went out drinking.

In decline based on what measure? Creighton fans are excited about this year and have a 22 KenPom. Wichita State sits at 18. Hardly seems to be in decline.
Sactowndog

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:34 pm

Dude, take a hike
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Sactowndog » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:36 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
Thanks for posting this information. I find it both interesting and useful - especially when I am advising HS kids on college choices. Would you mind sharing the source? Thanks.

Here is the link

http://www.collegesimply.com/guides/low ... /?start=51

Thanks. Greatly appreciate you for taking he time to post the link.

Your welcome. Do you work with High School kids often?
Sactowndog

Postby bluejayfanatic » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:28 am

Relying on acceptance rates to compare schools is a fool's errand. The only relevant comparison metric is the academic profile of incoming students. Big East schools generally don't have the most impressive acceptance rates but that's because the applicant pools are comparatively self-selective and high-quality. That's the only conclusion you can draw when you see high academic profiles paired with pedestrian acceptance rates.
bluejayfanatic

Postby Jet915 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:30 am

bluejayfanatic wrote:Relying on acceptance rates to compare schools is a fool's errand. The only relevant comparison metric is the academic profile of incoming students. Big East schools generally don't have the most impressive acceptance rates but that's because the applicant pools are comparatively self-selective and high-quality. That's the only conclusion you can draw when you see high academic profiles paired with pedestrian acceptance rates.

I have to believe being a private school and thus pretty expensive also hurts acceptance rates and many who might want to attend just don't apply cause they can't afford the tuition.
Jet915

Postby Sactowndog » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:02 am

bluejayfanatic wrote:Relying on acceptance rates to compare schools is a fool's errand. The only relevant comparison metric is the academic profile of incoming students. Big East schools generally don't have the most impressive acceptance rates but that's because the applicant pools are comparatively self-selective and high-quality. That's the only conclusion you can draw when you see high academic profiles paired with pedestrian acceptance rates.

I would agree acceptance rates are a poor measure to judge a school. Better items would be what is the schools graduation rate. What is the average level of school debt after 10 years. These items are the ones that really matter, not incoming academic profiles, acceptance rates, or how many doctoral degrees. In today's world too many kids exit college with crushing debt and few job prospects to pay off that debt. Schools that do the best making sure that doesn't happen to their students are the top ranked schools in my book.
Sactowndog

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board