JT3 is a bum
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

Re: Rank These Coaches...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:00 pm

stever20 wrote:a- my point is that they would have had to win the 1st game to get in- against a team they had beaten twice already. tough to beat a team 3x. You do that, and no doubt you're in.
b- it may be a good rpi buy game, but it's still a lower half game. Also, looked at Kansas last year- #9 OOC SOS. They played all of 4 games lower than 150. Of those 4, only 2 were in that 150-250 range. Duke had the #2 OOC SOS and played 3 teams lower than 150. 2 in that 150-250 range. so no, the best OOC schedules don't load up on 150-250 teams. They actually man up and play good teams. Look at Xavier's schedule this year.
c- there were 4 SEC, 3 ACC, 1 P12, 1 BE, 1 B10 teams in. That's 10 teams. Add to that 3 A10 and 1 American and the top 8 conferences had 14 bids. What you are talking about is that if a conference champ reg season doesn't win their tournament- and doesn't go to the tourney, they get a NIT bid. That was the bottom 10 teams. The other 22 teams were the best available. Marquette wasn't.
d- 1 comes to mind fairly close to what you're saying. 2007 Syracuse finished 22-10 and tied for 5th(in a 16 team conference of course)- and didn't make the tournament. Villanova finished 7th and made the tourney. Also, it's not that Marquette had a bad OOC SOS, they had a putrid one. One of the 25 worst in the country. The committee doesn't like that.

like they say all the time, conferences don't get bids, teams get bids.

a) I agree it's hard but if your entire argument is predicated on that so really I can just as easily say that in my theoretical vision we beat Providence and are solidly in.

b) Now you're complaining about good buy games? Nobody plays unreal teams every single game, it's not logical especially when you have one of the youngest rosters in D1. I mean honestly this is a business and they had to plan it so we could get some confidence. We aren't Kansas or Duke, heck it would have idiotic to have a team as young as we were play a schedule like that, yes we should have played a better one and but you're lobbying for a gauntlet that'd leave us torn apart.

c) I'm not going to sit here and argue whether we should or should not have been in the NIT, we're better than that.

d) Fair play, as I said I didn't honestly know if that had ever happened. But all the same even if we don't get a bid we still are less than a minute worth of basketball away from finishing 10-8 and this board is talking about how good Marquette can be going forward as opposed to how unexciting we are. Last year and two years everybody said Creighton's going to be good because they kept losing close games well last year we lost three games all in the last minute and nobody said a thing. I maintain that, even without a bid due to the schedule, we're a mere minute of difference from calling Wojo a great hire at the end of last year.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:10 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
stever20 wrote:a- my point is that they would have had to win the 1st game to get in- against a team they had beaten twice already. tough to beat a team 3x. You do that, and no doubt you're in.
b- it may be a good rpi buy game, but it's still a lower half game. Also, looked at Kansas last year- #9 OOC SOS. They played all of 4 games lower than 150. Of those 4, only 2 were in that 150-250 range. Duke had the #2 OOC SOS and played 3 teams lower than 150. 2 in that 150-250 range. so no, the best OOC schedules don't load up on 150-250 teams. They actually man up and play good teams. Look at Xavier's schedule this year.
c- there were 4 SEC, 3 ACC, 1 P12, 1 BE, 1 B10 teams in. That's 10 teams. Add to that 3 A10 and 1 American and the top 8 conferences had 14 bids. What you are talking about is that if a conference champ reg season doesn't win their tournament- and doesn't go to the tourney, they get a NIT bid. That was the bottom 10 teams. The other 22 teams were the best available. Marquette wasn't.
d- 1 comes to mind fairly close to what you're saying. 2007 Syracuse finished 22-10 and tied for 5th(in a 16 team conference of course)- and didn't make the tournament. Villanova finished 7th and made the tourney. Also, it's not that Marquette had a bad OOC SOS, they had a putrid one. One of the 25 worst in the country. The committee doesn't like that.

a) I agree it's hard but if your entire argument is predicated on that I can just as easily say that in my theoretical vision we beat Providence and are solidly in.

b) Now you're complaining about good buy games? Nobody plays unreal teams every single game, it's not logical especially when you have one of the youngest rosters in D1. I mean honestly this is a business and they had to plan it so we could get some confidence.

c) I'm not going to sit here and argue whether we should or should not have been in the NIT, we're better than that.

d) Fair play, as I said I didn't honestly know if that had ever happened. But all the same even if we don't get a bid we still are less than a minute worth of basketball away from finishing 10-8 and this board is talking about how good Marquette can be going forward as opposed to how unexciting we are. Last year and two years everybody said Creighton's going to be good because they kept losing close games well last year we lost three games all in the last minute and nobody said a thing. I maintain that, even without a bid due to the schedule, we're a mere minute of difference from calling Wojo a great hire at the end of last year.

a- my point is that you can't just say like you did if Marquette had beaten Creighton and DePaul, they would have been in. You would have almost surely needed 1 more good win. I would argue that it wouldn't necessarily have had to be in the BET. Lets say you all beat Belmont in the 1st game of the year in what was an extremely winnable game. That probably gets you in just as much.
b- the problem with the 191 game isn't that game in of itself but the fact that it was your 3rd best OOC win. That's the problem. Your schedule last year is just indefensible. So when you schedule like that, you eliminate to a large degree any margin for error.
c- Last year, your resume said you weren't good enough to be in the NIT. Heck, Creighton wasn't that far away from being out.
d- I do agree with you on that.
stever20

Postby Savannah Jay » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:26 pm

I think it's way too early to judge much on Mullin or Wojo. But of the three I would want Wojo as my coach (and it's not a close vote...).
Savannah Jay

Postby whiteandblue77 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:53 pm

Mullin is so much worse than JT3 or Wojo that it's an insult to the two of them to be mentioned with him. He's horrible. Doesn't even coach. Doesn't seem to give a crap in the huddles. St. Johns is stinking up our RPI thanks to him.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:07 pm

stever20 wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:

a) I agree it's hard but if your entire argument is predicated on that I can just as easily say that in my theoretical vision we beat Providence and are solidly in.

b) Now you're complaining about good buy games? Nobody plays unreal teams every single game, it's not logical especially when you have one of the youngest rosters in D1. I mean honestly this is a business and they had to plan it so we could get some confidence.

a- my point is that you can't just say like you did if Marquette had beaten Creighton and DePaul, they would have been in. You would have almost surely needed 1 more good win. I would argue that it wouldn't necessarily have had to be in the BET. Lets say you all beat Belmont in the 1st game of the year in what was an extremely winnable game. That probably gets you in just as much.
b- the problem with the 191 game isn't that game in of itself but the fact that it was your 3rd best OOC win. That's the problem. Your schedule last year is just indefensible. So when you schedule like that, you eliminate to a large degree any margin for error.
c- Last year, your resume said you weren't good enough to be in the NIT. Heck, Creighton wasn't that far away from being out.
d- I do agree with you on that.

Then I'll amend that statement to be that we were a minute and a half shy of an NCAA tournamnet bid as we lost that Belmont game in the last 30 seconds as well.

b. I'm not defending the schedule I'm saying you comparing it to Duke or KU's is ludicrous when you're talking about a team that was extremely young and average like we were.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board