The home for Big East hoops

Re: Rank These Coaches...

Postby Bluejay » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:17 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
Bluejay wrote:....Form best to worst:

A) JT3
B) Wojo
c) Mullin

It pains me that the above guys represent the schools that they do. When it was announced that we were entering the Big East, I was excited that we would get to play these historically great basketball schools twice a year. At this point, however, each of the schools does anything but excite. The problem with each of the programs right now is the exact same across the board - poor coaching. I'd add Willard to the list as I think he is a poor coach as well, but at least Seton Hall is competitive right now.

Umm maybe wait a bit on Wojo? If you don't remember he split with you guys (could've very very easily been a sweep of you guys if Ellenson had a defensive bone in his body) and won 20 games in his second year. Jesus were you ready to break out the pitchfork when Creighton hired a coach that shat the bed at Iowa State? Do you not realize he was hired for his pedigree at Northern iowa where he went 11-17 and 14-15 his first two years? Maybe wait a second before tossing Wojo to the wolves because in his second year he did a heck of a lot better than the guy your school's fans anoint as one of the great BE coaches.

Chill. I never said fire Wojo. I simply asked that they be ranked.
Bluejay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:08 pm

Bluejay wrote:

"It pains me that the above guys represent the schools that they do." Howso? Wojo has represented Marquette fairly well with his first two recruiting classes consisting of 3 four stars and a 5 star plus some other fairly talented players.

"When it was announced that we were entering the Big East, I was excited that we would get to play these historically great basketball schools twice a year." You still are.

"At this point, however, each of the schools does anything but excite." Perhaps you've forgotten that how close we were to being 10-8 in the BE last year. A foul (that did not happen) against Depaul and a momumental last minute choke against you guys away from an NCAA birth. Even still I'd still say 20 wins in his second season and the amount of talent he's brought in is reason to be excited.

"The problem with each of the programs right now is the exact same across the board - poor coaching." It's early in his third year. He had to use the crappy scraps Buzz left his first year so it's a bit early to tell.

"I'd add Willard to the list as I think he is a poor coach as well, but at least Seton Hall is competitive right now." We're 5-2 and could easily be 6-1 and coming off of a 20 win season where three of those losses happened with less than a minute left, exactly what do you consider competitive?

No you didn't say fire him, you just said that he sucks as a coach, we aren't competitive and we're not getting better any time soon. So once again I ask you exactly what was your reaction to Creighton hiring a failure at ISU? What would your reaction to him been after his first two crappy years at UNI? And perhaps you should wait a second before labeling Wojo as a completely unexciting failure because he was a grand total of about 45 seconds away from being labeled a slam dunk hire after last year.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:20 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
Bluejay wrote:

"It pains me that the above guys represent the schools that they do." Howso? Wojo has represented Marquette fairly well with his first two recruiting classes consisting of 3 four stars and a 5 star plus some other fairly talented players.

"When it was announced that we were entering the Big East, I was excited that we would get to play these historically great basketball schools twice a year." You still are.

"At this point, however, each of the schools does anything but excite." Perhaps you've forgotten that how close we were to being 10-8 in the BE last year. A foul (that did not happen) against Depaul and a momumental last minute choke against you guys away from an NCAA birth. Even still I'd still say 20 wins in his second season and the amount of talent he's brought in is reason to be excited.

"The problem with each of the programs right now is the exact same across the board - poor coaching." It's early in his third year. He had to use the crappy scraps Buzz left his first year so it's a bit early to tell.

"I'd add Willard to the list as I think he is a poor coach as well, but at least Seton Hall is competitive right now." We're 5-2 and could easily be 6-1 and coming off of a 20 win season where three of those losses happened with less than a minute left, exactly what do you consider competitive?

No you didn't say fire him, you just said that he sucks as a coach, we aren't competitive and we're not getting better any time soon. So once again I ask you exactly what was your reaction to Creighton hiring a failure at ISU? What would your reaction to him been after his first two crappy years at UNI? And perhaps you should wait a second before labeling Wojo as a completely unexciting failure because he was a grand total of about 45 seconds away from being labeled a slam dunk hire after last year.

Did you just say that if Marquette had beaten DePaul and Creighton last year they would have made the tourney? I really don't think so. Sure would have entered the BET at 21-10, but with a garbage OOC schedule(#326). Would have needed a win in the BET against Providence to make the tourney. And we know it's tough to beat a good team 3x in the same season.
stever20

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:01 pm

stever20 wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:
Bluejay wrote:

Did you just say that if Marquette had beaten DePaul and Creighton last year they would have made the tourney? I really don't think so. Sure would have entered the BET at 21-10, but with a garbage OOC schedule(#326). Would have needed a win in the BET against Providence to make the tourney. And we know it's tough to beat a good team 3x in the same season.

That puts us 10-8 in conference. Same as Providence except we would hold the tie breaker as we swept them. Are you saying that a team tied for fourth in the BE with at least 21 wins would not have made it?
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:48 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
That puts us 10-8 in conference. Same as Providence except we would hold the tie breaker as we swept them. Are you saying that a team tied for fourth in the BE with at least 21 wins would not have made it?

That's exactly what I'm saying. When you schedule #326 OOC schedule, and 4 of your conference wins were vs St John's and DePaul- you have no margin for error. You would have had 12 of your 21 wins vs sub 200 RPI schools. Also a win over 191. That's 13 pretty much meaningless wins. Considering you guys weren't even in the NIT which took like the next best 20 teams or so- that just shows how far away you guys were.
stever20

Postby Red Rooster » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:20 am

A) JT3
B) Wojo
c) Mullin

It pains me that the above guys represent the schools that they do. When it was announced that we were entering the Big East, I was excited that we would get to play these historically great basketball schools twice a year. At this point, however, each of the schools does anything but excite. The problem with each of the programs right now is the exact same across the board - poor coaching. I'd add Willard to the list as I think he is a poor coach as well, but at least Seton Hall is competitive right now.

Who gives a eff? A passive-aggressive thread because Creighton is playing at a high level.
Red Rooster

Postby MUBoxer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:18 am

stever20 wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:

That's exactly what I'm saying. When you schedule #326 OOC schedule, and 4 of your conference wins were vs St John's and DePaul- you have no margin for error. You would have had 12 of your 21 wins vs sub 200 RPI schools. Also a win over 191. That's 13 pretty much meaningless wins. Considering you guys weren't even in the NIT which took like the next best 20 teams or so- that just shows how far away you guys were.

So a few things

A) your entire argument is predicated on the idea we get eliminated right away in the BE tournament, which is fair but still kind of stupid.

B) 191 is considered a good RPI buy game. If you look at the best schedules and think "why is that considered good" well it's because they load up on teams between 150 and 250 that's not meaningless

C) We weren't NIT because the NIT has come out and said they are going to be favoring invites to mid major schools now. This isn't the early 2000s anymore.

D) Is there any historical evidence where a school that finished say 4th in a major conference was passed up for an NCAA bid while the team placed 5th gets one? Honestly asking because I know you're stubborn enough to do the grunt research while I'd remain quite confident that even with a bad SOS a school that ties for 4th in the no2 RPI conference with over 20 wins gets a bid.

E) Are you saying that even without an NCAA invite if Wojo had finished strong against those two games giving us that 10-8 record and at least 21 wins that he'd still be an unexciting hire? Because to me the conversation switches then to "Marquette was snubbed but had a great year" as opposed to "Marquette was extremely average"
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby BluejayBuff » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:21 am

Red Rooster wrote:

A) JT3
B) Wojo
c) Mullin

Who gives a eff? A passive-aggressive thread because Creighton is playing at a high level.

Let's not do this.
BluejayBuff

Postby stever20 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:39 am

MUBoxer wrote:
stever20 wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:

So a few things

A) your entire argument is predicated on the idea we get eliminated right away in the BE tournament, which is fair but still kind of stupid.

B) 191 is considered a good RPI buy game. If you look at the best schedules and think "why is that considered good" well it's because they load up on teams between 150 and 250 that's not meaningless

C) We weren't NIT because the NIT has come out and said they are going to be favoring invites to mid major schools now. This isn't the early 2000s anymore.

D) Is there any historical evidence where a school that finished say 4th in a major conference was passed up for an NCAA bid while the team placed 5th gets one? Honestly asking because I know you're stubborn enough to do the grunt research while I'd remain quite confident that even with a bad SOS a school that ties for 4th in the no2 RPI conference with over 20 wins gets a bid.

a- my point is that they would have had to win the 1st game to get in- against a team they had beaten twice already. tough to beat a team 3x. You do that, and no doubt you're in.
b- it may be a good rpi buy game, but it's still a lower half game. Also, looked at Kansas last year- #9 OOC SOS. They played all of 4 games lower than 150. Of those 4, only 2 were in that 150-250 range. Duke had the #2 OOC SOS and played 3 teams lower than 150. 2 in that 150-250 range. so no, the best OOC schedules don't load up on 150-250 teams. They actually man up and play good teams. Look at Xavier's schedule this year.
c- there were 4 SEC, 3 ACC, 1 P12, 1 BE, 1 B10 teams in. That's 10 teams. Add to that 3 A10 and 1 American and the top 8 conferences had 14 bids. What you are talking about is that if a conference champ reg season doesn't win their tournament- and doesn't go to the tourney, they get a NIT bid. That was the bottom 10 teams. The other 22 teams were the best available. Marquette wasn't.
d- 1 comes to mind fairly close to what you're saying. 2007 Syracuse finished 22-10 and tied for 5th(in a 16 team conference of course)- and didn't make the tournament. Villanova finished 7th and made the tourney. Also, it's not that Marquette had a bad OOC SOS, they had a putrid one. One of the 25 worst in the country. The committee doesn't like that.

like they say all the time, conferences don't get bids, teams get bids.
stever20

Postby TAMU Eagle » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:45 am

A) JT3
B) Wojo
c) Mullin

What has Wojo done to earn your disdain? Its year three of a multi year rebuild. Y'all are counting us out way too soon this season.
TAMU Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board