Big East Academics

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Academics

Postby FenwayFriar » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:22 am

Jet915 wrote:Creighton has been #1 for the last 14 years, I hope one day we make the jump like Nova did to the national ranking.

Nova had kept PC at the #2 spot for many many years. So it was a win-win when Nova made the jump to national. PC got the #1 spot and Nova got a great national ranking.
FenwayFriar

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby FriarJ » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:30 am

Put JTIII in charge of admissions at Georgetown and watch what happens to their ranking!

I'M JOKING!!!
FriarJ

Postby jfan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:12 pm

sciencejay wrote:Does that mean the PhD I got from Creighton is actually a Master's? :lol: :lol: :oops:
Science, yes, you now have a PhM! Doesn't sound nearly as good!
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby marquette » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:21 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
jfan wrote:Fenway, do you know why a school is ranked as a Regional vs a National? Always been curious about that.

First of all, let's acknowledge that the US News rankings are not a serious effort to tell us what colleges do. They are a vehicle to sell magazines and thereby make money.

To your question, the Carnegie Foundation for Higher Education in 1970 established a framework for classifying colleges and universities by category. Their goal was primarily so that the government could have some objective standard to decide where to invest research dollars.

"National Universities" is simply US News' euphemism for Carnefie's "research universities" (doctoral level schools). Originally Carnegie broke the research universities into 2 categories, based on the level of dollars spent on research

The US News' euphemism of "regional universities" refers to Carnegie's master's level colleges and the "national liberal arts colleges" to highly competitive Bachelor's level colleges with less competitive schools relegated to their "regional liberal arts" category.

I believe it's a little less clear cut than doctoral vs masters level. You can offer doctoral degrees and be regional, it is more dependent on the number of doctorates and the amount of research being done by the school.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:36 pm

marquette wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
jfan wrote:Fenway, do you know why a school is ranked as a Regional vs a National? Always been curious about that.

First of all, let's acknowledge that the US News rankings are not a serious effort to tell us what colleges do. They are a vehicle to sell magazines and thereby make money.

To your question, the Carnegie Foundation for Higher Education in 1970 established a framework for classifying colleges and universities by category. Their goal was primarily so that the government could have some objective standard to decide where to invest research dollars.

"National Universities" is simply US News' euphemism for Carnefie's "research universities" (doctoral level schools). Originally Carnegie broke the research universities into 2 categories, based on the level of dollars spent on research

The US News' euphemism of "regional universities" refers to Carnegie's master's level colleges and the "national liberal arts colleges" to highly competitive Bachelor's level colleges with less competitive schools relegated to their "regional liberal arts" category.

I believe it's a little less clear cut than doctoral vs masters level. You can offer doctoral universities and be regional, it is more dependent on the number of doctorates and the amount of research being done by the school.

True. For Carnegie, it's really the level of research dollars.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:38 pm

sciencejay wrote:Does that mean the PhD I got from Creighton is actually a Master's? :lol: :lol: :oops:

We have a doctor in the house! :o

Congratulations.
Bill Marsh

Postby TBC Alum » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:14 pm

They call me Dr. Love
Yup. CU grad
CU clap clap CU
TBC Alum

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:13 am

:lol:

TBC Alum wrote:They call me Dr. Love
Yup. CU grad
Bill Marsh

Postby Sactowndog » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:26 am

marquette wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

I believe it's a little less clear cut than doctoral vs masters level. You can offer doctoral degrees and be regional, it is more dependent on the number of doctorates and the amount of research being done by the school.

Here is their flow chart...
http://carnegieclassifications.iu.edu/d ... 1Feb16.pdf
Sactowndog

Postby gosports1 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:39 am

to put it simply regional universities in this case focus primarily on undergraduate offer masters programs but limited focus on doctorates.
national universities have more extensive doctoral programs and conduct more research projects at a higher level. in this case, it is difficult to compare schools such as Providence and Creighton with Stanford and Princeton since they have different agendas. I think there is an organization that ranks/compares schools just on the undergraduate level but I don't remember the name
gosports1

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board