Non Big East Games of Interest - 2016-17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Non Big East Games of Interest - 2016-17

Postby Westbrook#36 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 am

kayako wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
ecasadoSBU wrote:What an ending at Syracuse... Fck... They locked themselves in the tourney with this win.

It's going to be a tough call for the committee. Duke, Virginia, and Florida State are obviously big wins, but they're going to have to look past a home court shellacking by St John's and a sub-200 loss to BC as well as an RPI that's likely to be in the 70's.

I like how ESPN describes the Syracuse home win over Duke as the biggest win of the night. Providence winning @ Creighton is arguably just as big if you ask me!

You think, lord knows how many Syracuse grads, working for has anything to do with it?
Westbrook#36

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:51 am

I think part of it is where they were on the bubble going into the game.

For Syracuse, they were the 5th team in. That win pretty much gets them in the tourney.
For Providence, they were the 8th team out. It gets them closer, but doesn't clinch much yet.
stever20

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:36 am

Wisconsin lost to a mediocre Ohio State team. It'stheir 3rd loss in their last 4 games and they drop to 27 in RPI.

I'd be happy to see them fall except that they represented a big win for Creighton. In addition, the higher they're ranked, the less that the loss to them hurts Marquette.
Bill Marsh

Postby Jet915 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:37 am

Bill Marsh wrote:Wisconsin lost to a mediocre Ohio State team. It'stheir 3rd loss in their last 4 games and they drop to 27 in RPI.

I'd be happy to see them fall except that they represented a big win for Creighton. In addition, the higher they're ranked, the less that the loss to them hurts Marquette.

Big Ten is overrated but atleast it seems the committee is aware of that.
Jet915

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:39 am

Gonzaga lost!
Bill Marsh

Postby billyjack » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:35 am

Saw some of the 2nd half of BYU at Gonzaga.
It was 41-35 at the half. Zags went on a run and with around 12 left, had a 8 or 10 point lead, like at 60-52 or so. To me, i figured the game was pretty much settled. Couple of things though seemed to happen soon after...

... the Zags had some lazy, wasted possessions, with weak loopy passes that were easily intercepted.
... loss of killer instinct or lack of focus, with asinine shots thrown up, missed bunnies, and again, wasted possessions.
... examples of celebrating too soon... at around the 12 minute mark, the high water mark of their lead, the Zags hit a 3 and the shooter kinda strutted, turned to crowd or his bench which delayed him getting back on defense for a second, which allowed a smart BYU counter-attack as the Zag shooter had to get back on full sprint and committed a 2 shot foul.

The 3 examples above led to a BYU run and a 1 possession game by the 8 minute mark.

For the final 8 minutes it was a 1 possession game pretty much....

BYU at this stage then got physical and controlled the paint... they contested every Gonzaga shot, laying a body on anyone down low, including by their football linebacker guy Kaufasi (sp) and another big kid that i never noticed before who played well, Erik Mika (sp). On one play, Mika threw Gonzaga's 550 pound center Karnowski to the floor, which resulted in a 2 shot technical, but surprisingly to me, no Zag player got into the BYU guy's mug. So BYU continued to control the paint on D, and on offense on several occasions got simple layups or offensive rebounds and putbacks

Also, their 46-year old point guard drilled a couple of 3's real quick to make up the deficit. It wasn't as though BYU's offense was anything special... it's that they had a bunch of stops on the Zags offense and did just enough to match them on offense, mostly just through their halfcourt game.

Anyway, under 2 minutes, tie game, Zags' ball, their ballhandler, kid named Perkins i think, like twice dribbled off his foot or knee for either a BYU steal or a jumpball. Somewhere around then, a midsize Zag posted up, with 3 BYU guys right behind him in the paint, but he kept backing down even though a couple of his teammates were wide open in 3 point land, and he ended up losing the ball somehow.

I guess the general BYU strategy was to keep Gonzaga from running. Just grind them down, try to bully them, take them off their rhythm.

I was rooting for Gonzaga. But maybe this helps Villanova's seed so that's cool.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:41 am

Yea that was a fun game although I was rooting for byu. Gonzaga on the 2 seed line now is guess.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:12 am

Didn't see the game, but thanks to Billy Jack, I now know why they missed so many 3's. I also noticed a lot of uncharacteristic missed free throws.

They won their previous game by 58. This loss is probably the best thing that could happen to them going into the tournament. I imagine that Few will have a heart to heart with them about this game.

Yes, Omaha, I imagine this will drop them to the 2 line. The question is, does the committee bump the PAC 12 champ up to a 1 seed or do they move North Carolina or Villanova out west?

Final question. Does this hurt Gonzaga's chances of getting into the Big East? :lol:
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Postby billyjack » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:23 am

Bill Marsh wrote:Didn't see the game, but thanks to Billy Jack, I now know why they missed so many 3's. I also noticed a lot of uncharacteristic missed free throws.

They won their previous game by 58. This loss is probably the best thing that could happen to them going into the tournament. I imagine that Few will have a hart to heart with them about this game.

Yes, Omaha, I imagine this will drop them to the 2 line. The question is, does the committee bump the PAC 12 champ up to a 1 seed or do they move North Carolina or Villanova out west?

Final question. Does this hurt Gonzaga's chances of getting into the Big East? :lol:

Wow, yeah, Gonzaga's recent wins have been by 58, 21, 35, 10 (at St Mary’s), 30, 35, 10 (at BYU), 47, 36...
Providence
billyjack

Postby Westbrook#36 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:29 am

billyjack wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:Didn't see the game, but thanks to Billy Jack, I now know why they missed so many 3's. I also noticed a lot of uncharacteristic missed free throws.

They won their previous game by 58. This loss is probably the best thing that could happen to them going into the tournament. I imagine that Few will have a hart to heart with them about this game.

Wow, yeah, Gonzaga's recent wins have been by 58, 21, 35, 10 (at St Mary’s), 30, 35, 10 (at BYU), 47, 36...

So the first close(1 or 2 possession) game they've been in months, they lose. Yeah, that league isn't preparing the Zag's at all for March, the lack of closely contested games is going to come back and bite them in the ass.
Westbrook#36

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board