Non Big East Games of Interest - 2016-17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Non Big East Games of Interest - 2016-17

Postby Jet915 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:40 pm

billyjack wrote:
Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:
What on earth?

For the second consecutive game, VCU's opponent hit an apparent game-winning 3-pointer with 0.4 seconds left in the game. VCU won both games.

Have a look: VCU stuns George Washington in final second (Video) - AP/ESPN - February 8, 2017

VCU remains tied with Dayton at 9-2 in A10 play, with Rhode Island and Richmond a game behind at 8-3.

Another Mickey Mouse call for VCU. Plus reading around through comments, the diving VCU guy had his foot out of bounds, so if anything he should've been called for the foul.

So, is the A-10 trying to guarantee 3 bids by bailing out VCU twice?

Yeah, I watched that game last night, it was kinda a joke. Guy clearly flopped, didn't know his foot was out of bounds but it was very ticky tack. VCU definitely living on the edge....
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:15 pm

billyjack wrote:
Another Mickey Mouse call for VCU. Plus reading around through comments, the diving VCU guy had his foot out of bounds, so if anything he should've been called for the foul.

The foul for what? There is no rule in college basketball (there is in the NBA) that an offensive player who sets a screen cannot be partially out of bounds. Again, there is a rule for the front court and the NBA.

Although some on Twitter and the announcers referred to it as a charge, that's not right either since it was a defensive player - it was ruled a "push foul". After a made basket two offensive players can be out of bounds passing the ball to each other (Richmond runs it often) if one is impeded and pushed while OOB it would be ruled the same.

Many are referring to NBA rules without realizing the official NCAA rule book has a few changes. FYI VCU runs that play in practice every day. If the referees call it, great! If they don't, it allows space for the inbound passer to throw the full court pass.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:29 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:
billyjack wrote:

The foul for what? There is no rule in college basketball (there is in the NBA) that an offensive player who sets a screen cannot be partially out of bounds. Again, there is a rule for the front court and the NBA.

Although some on Twitter and the announcers referred to it as a charge, that's not right either since it was a defensive player - it was ruled a "push foul". After a made basket two offensive players can be out of bounds passing the ball to each other (Richmond runs it often) if one is impeded and pushed while OOB it would be ruled the same.

Many are referring to NBA rules without realizing the official NCAA rule book has a few changes. FYI VCU runs that play in practice every day. If the referees call it, great! If they don't, it allows space for the inbound passer to throw the full court pass.

Put me in the "terrible call / someone explain this to me," group. How is that play any different from a pick? Offensive player off the ball sets the pick to basically impede the progress of the defender. I have NEVER seen a situation where an unwitting defender runs into a pick and is called for the foul. If that is how they want to start calling that then every offensive pick setter should just flop when contacted and get a foul called. Stupid. Not in the spirit of the rule IMO. #robbed
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby xman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:32 pm

Some team is going to miss the NCAA tournament because VCU will sneak in on account of two bogus wins.
xman

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:34 am

If a defensive player just runs over a pick, it's a foul. I don't know what the huge surprise is with this.

And sorry but the SB win- teams just can't rush the court with 0.4 seconds to go. Like it or not, it's a penalty. You don't like it, don't rush the court like that.
stever20

Postby Omaha1 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:02 am

stever20 wrote:If a defensive player just runs over a pick, it's a foul. I don't know what the huge surprise is with this.

And sorry but the SB win- teams just can't rush the court with 0.4 seconds to go. Like it or not, it's a penalty. You don't like it, don't rush the court like that.

The consensus seems to be that VCU didn't deserve either win unless you're a VCU fan. Hopefully the selection committee views it the same way.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby billyjack » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:05 am

This is my take: (and let me first say that i read on the URI board and somewhere else about the VCU guy being out of bounds... i apologize if I'm wrong on that but it doesn't change my overall opinion on this)...

So anyway... the VCU player's pick provided a clear throwing path for his inbounding teammate, which is fine and a good play, and he accomplished his initial goal. Beyond that, the VCU player had nothing to do with the "offensive" play, so the call shouldn't be made.

This reminds me of the cringe-worthy, asinine standard play from my childhood, which you'd be taught in practice for hours on end... back in the late 70's, late game situations, on inbounds plays just like this one, the most asinine part of college hoops (and on down to CYO and rec hoops) would kick into gear... 5 defenders would stand against their guarded opponent. When the ref handed the ball to the inbounding player, the 5 defenders would grab their opponents shirts, pull the guy towards them, and flop on the floor, pulling the opponent on top of them, hoping for a dimwitted ref to call an offensive foul. The was an almost universally hated play, but it worked a lot.

At some point in the 80's, possibly when the shot clock arrived, the refs stopped calling the flop play. Pre-shot clock, late game, down by a point, the defensive team had a few options to choose from, with a couple being asinine... one was this VCU pick and flop play (solved when refs stopped calling it in 1982)... ok, so, if the flop play didn't work, the next thing was to intentionally foul the offense for a never-ending parade to the line for never-ending one-and-ones (made fairer when the 10th foul rule created the auto-2-shot-foul... which i think should be adjusted so that the 14th foul should be a "3 shots to make 2" old-NBA play, or just a straight 3-shot foul... and while we're at it, take an additional 5 seconds off the clock if the coach agrees)...

Ok, so this VCU-GW will now usher in a new era of the old, asinine inbounds flopping play? We want that O'Connell idiot to implant himself even more into the our games? You know what that leads to? Chaos. Cats and dogs sleeping together. Forgettaboutit, I'd rather watch curling.
Providence
billyjack

Postby novahoops11 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:51 am

billyjack wrote: 5 defenders would stand against their guarded opponent. When the ref handed the ball to the inbounding player, the 5 defenders would grab their opponents shirts, pull the guy towards them, and flop on the floor, pulling the opponent on top of them, hoping for a dimwitted ref to call an offensive foul. The was an almost universally hated play, but it worked a lot.

Georgetown pulled this and everything else out of their bag of dirty tricks at the end of the '85 championship. See 1:14:45 here for one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcQx40atibU
novahoops11

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:37 am

stever20 wrote:If a defensive player just runs over a pick, it's a foul. I don't know what the huge surprise is with this.

I don't think there is any surprise at to what the rule is (below):

Section 7. Charging
Art. 1. Charging is illegal personal contact by pushing or moving into an opponent’s torso

My point is that with every screen a charge occurs if the refs choose to apply the literal definition of the rule. I think there is the spirit of the rule and the application of the rule. And with 0.4 seconds remaining and a one point game, a ref who chooses to apply that rule is making it about him IMO.

I do agree with you on the SB issue. Tough loss but they only have themselves to blame.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:45 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:

I don't think there is any surprise at to what the rule is (below):

Section 7. Charging
Art. 1. Charging is illegal personal contact by pushing or moving into an opponent’s torso

My point is that with every screen a charge occurs if the refs choose to apply the literal definition of the rule. I think there is the spirit of the rule and the application of the rule. And with 0.4 seconds remaining and a one point game, a ref who chooses to apply that rule is making it about him IMO.

I do agree with you on the SB issue. Tough loss but they only have themselves to blame.

The thing is, a lot of picks in normal game, the player makes an attempt to get around the pick and doesn't run square into it. If they ran into a pick the way this happened, it would be a foul call almost every single time. And the refs pretty much have to, because if they didn't, it would be open season on guys setting picks.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board