ARE WE NOT THE BIG EAST...YES WE ARE !

The home for Big East hoops

Postby BBPETE » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:01 pm

In reviewing what we know so far---the Catholic 7 are now in the drivers seat of the basketball league. In reading many articles including the NY Times cover sports story today---the BIG EAST was started as a bb league and will contiue on as one---its history, tournament in MSG, and the brand are alive and well. Three schools left off the "old" (Conn., Cin., & USF)are now forming a new league with 9-11 newcomers--be it the American 12 Conference or whatever; with football at the center.

I am advocating that the media with its "separation conversation and schools leaving" are not totally incorrect yet the glass is half full not half empty. Many of the writers here seem concerned for the future and a very interested in the details, as am I; however, the BIG EAST is alive for bb because of the Cathoic 7 PEDIOD and lives on---look at it this way; the other 3 schools left and are forming a new football driven conference and good luck. We have our conference, THANK YOU VERY MUCH and it is the BIG EAST---we, the 7 did not leave, we are here in the bb league as it was meant to be and will invite a few more along.

The founding schools of the bunch remaining in the BIG EAST should be proud to carry on the BIG EAST and be damed to the media the more I think of it---the BIG EASY bb schools did not leave the others did. We can now operate from a positive strength point of view not one where we were along for the ride to include non-similar schools with a moderate interest in bb---the BIG EAST is BB and will continue as such with its core --the Catholic 7.
BBPETE

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: ARE WE NOT THE BIG EAST...YES WE ARE !

Postby udee79 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:44 pm

What really happened is that the Big East bought out the three football schools. I.e. gave them 30 million each to leave.
udee79

Postby Masterofreality » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:05 pm

This. Well, done Pete.

Other than UConn.......Cincinnati , South Florida and Rutgers have done nothing to advance the Big East since they joined. Certainly they have added nothing to the Big East Basketball Tournament.

Remember that great moment at Madison Square Garden when that Bearcat player ...........uh, errrrrr....

Never mind.

Finally, what is with Adam Zagoria of SNY continuing to allude to those leaving as the Big East? There is no New York presence in those departing and hardly any Northeast influence. The true Big East going forward has all of that...and more.

C'mon Adam. Get with the program. Two of the Big East going forward tied for the conference championship this year. I would say that they represent the true Big East. Start calling it correctly.
Masterofreality

Postby dmac80 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 am

Hopefully the media figures itself out soon and stops referring to the old members as "The Big East", they need to start referring to them as 'the conference formerly known as the Big East', or the 'yet to be named conference of leftovers'.

The "new" Big East (and I think for a short while many will call it the "new" Big East before reverting to just Big East) is really the same conference minus all the football schools, having kept most of the founding members, their history, records, name, and tournament site. So yes, in reality the "real" and "original" Big East, rather than leaving as is being reported, kicked out the phonies and reclaimed what was always theirs: a basketball centric league with proud history and tradition. The media, as always is behind the 8 ball and confusing the masses who don't pay close to attention to every story.

I think the 'Catholic 7' moniker will go once several more teams are added (unless they're all Catholic in which case the media will continue to beat that drum).

All of this becomes easier and will shake out as the June 30 deadline passes and the 2 conferences officially split.
Let's Go FRIARS!
dmac80

Postby podcast411 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:05 am

dmac80 wrote:Hopefully the media figures itself out soon and stops referring to the old members as "The Big East", they need to start referring to them as 'the conference formerly known as the Big East', or the 'yet to be named conference of leftovers'.

The "new" Big East (and I think for a short while many will call it the "new" Big East before reverting to just Big East) is really the same conference minus all the football schools, having kept most of the founding members, their history, records, name, and tournament site. So yes, in reality the "real" and "original" Big East, rather than leaving as is being reported, kicked out the phonies and reclaimed what was always theirs: a basketball centric league with proud history and tradition. The media, as always is behind the 8 ball and confusing the masses who don't pay close to attention to every story.

I think the 'Catholic 7' moniker will go once several more teams are added (unless they're all Catholic in which case the media will continue to beat that drum).

All of this becomes easier and will shake out as the June 30 deadline passes and the 2 conferences officially split.

I would expect ESPN to use the "New Big East" name for at least a year - kind of a little zing to Fox Sports to stealing away the Big East. I would be very surprised if a year from now on Selection Sunday you don't hear the phrase "The New Big East" at least a half dozen times on ESPN.
podcast411

Return to Big East basketball message board