Are Creighton & St. Louis "Must-Adds"?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby eldermars » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:13 am

(This is coming from an "outsider")

Everyone knows that the Big East is in New York (Madison Square Gardens). At the same time, it seems like your North-Eastern New Jersey and Rhode Island television markets are plenty locked up. The conference could use some more exposure in middle-America. Currently, Marquette (Wisconsin) and DePaul (Illinois) are on a bit of a geographic island in the conference. This immediately points to two other private, religious basketball teams in the area that make total sense:

-Creighton (Jesuit-Roman Catholic, Nebraska, 18,560-seat arena, RPI of #24 last year).

-Saint Louis (Jesuit-Roman Catholic, Missouri, 10,600-seat arena, RPI of #31 last year).

There are plenty of great options for school #10 (Xavier, etc.). But I think that schools #8 and #9 are the most important. Missing on either on them could make things in the conference difficult right off the bat. The last thing the new Big East needs is division (including football schools such as UConn, Cincy, Memphis, etc.). Just my two cents.
eldermars

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Are Creighton & St. Louis "Must-Adds"?

Postby Edrick » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:09 am

Pretty obvious that Butler and Xavier are the primary targets.

Creighton looks likely, SLU a little more touch and go.

But if the stop at 9, it'll be XU and BU
Edrick

Postby admin » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:12 am

Edrick wrote:Pretty obvious that Butler and Xavier are the primary targets.

I think the debate is who is #10 if that is where they stop?
admin
Site Admin

Postby xu95 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:07 am

admin wrote:
Edrick wrote:Pretty obvious that Butler and Xavier are the primary targets.

I think the debate is who is #10 if that is where they stop?

I always thought it was St. Louis (they seem to have an in with Marquette), but more and more I'm thinking it would be Creighton.
xu95

Postby xman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:10 am

Creighton wins every head to head debate with SLU other than geography. If SLU gets the nod, that would be the reason.
xman

Postby bujet15 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:21 am

would be interesting to see if they take SLU over Creighton because they want to weaken the A10. A10 and this league would overlap in the market (midwest/east coast) obviously this league would be clearly stronger but in terms of viewing market maybe you take the Walmart business model and crush anything in your market space.
bujet15

Postby Dew » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:38 am

bujet15 wrote:would be interesting to see if they take SLU over Creighton because they want to weaken the A10. A10 and this league would overlap in the market (midwest/east coast) obviously this league would be clearly stronger but in terms of viewing market maybe you take the Walmart business model and crush anything in your market space.

The A10 will be beyond weak with or without SLU.
Dew

Postby Bluejay » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:53 am

bujet15 wrote:would be interesting to see if they take SLU over Creighton because they want to weaken the A10. A10 and this league would overlap in the market (midwest/east coast) obviously this league would be clearly stronger but in terms of viewing market maybe you take the Walmart business model and crush anything in your market space.

True, but after nabbing Xavier and Butler, the A10 will have already been weakened. I'm not sure that adding SLU really does all that much to weaken that league any further.

Interestingly enough, utilizing the WalMart strategy could actually favor grabbing Creighton as it allows the new league to severely wound the MVC in addition to harming the A10 with the other adds. Since the new league will be operating in the midwest too, hurting an existing midwest league may be a compelling strategy.

I am hopeful that the new league goes with 12 instead of 10 and that the adds consist of Xavier, Butler, Creighton, Slu and Dayton.
Bluejay

Postby bujet15 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:11 pm

Bluejay wrote:I am hopeful that the new league goes with 12 instead of 10 and that the adds consist of Xavier, Butler, Creighton, Slu and Dayton.

What is the difference of 10 and 12 teams? Water down the talent if u go with 12?
bujet15

Postby Dew » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:17 pm

bujet15 wrote:
Bluejay wrote:I am hopeful that the new league goes with 12 instead of 10 and that the adds consist of Xavier, Butler, Creighton, Slu and Dayton.

What is the difference of 10 and 12 teams? Water down the talent if u go with 12?

TV inventory. They want a new media deal which will pay a lot of money. The more games they can sell the more money they can collect.
Dew

Return to Big East basketball message board