16-17 BIG EAST 20 Questions

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 16-17 BIG EAST 20 Questions

Postby bluejayfan00 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:32 am

Hall2012 wrote:Follow up question for the board:

In the responses so far, I see Seton Hall as a common "biggest drop" pick and the overwhelmingly popular "most overrated" pick. So my question is, why? Did the rest of the league really see them as that much of a 1 man team last year? They return 4 of 5 starters (all juniors) from a team that finished 3rd and won the BET last year. So what are the general thoughts on them? Why are they so overrated (at around 4th in the league, which seemed to be the consensus from the board's standings predictions)?

I think they're being picked as overrated most often by default. Who else is there to pick, really? Most fans would agree the top 3 in some order is Nova, X, CU, so no one is really picking any of those three. Although, I've seen CU picked twice. Most projections have Seton Hall finishing 4th (some 3rd.) It's hard to be overrated when you're not picked in the top half, so there's not much to choose from. IMO, I think they'll finish no higher than 4 and no lower than 6. Whitehead could be a headache at times, but he also bailed them out so often. Is Carrington going to be the go to guy now? Is Delgado going to finally mature? Do they have any 3 PT shooting? And, Willard is still the coach.
bluejayfan00

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:00 am

bluejayfan00 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:Follow up question for the board:

In the responses so far, I see Seton Hall as a common "biggest drop" pick and the overwhelmingly popular "most overrated" pick. So my question is, why? Did the rest of the league really see them as that much of a 1 man team last year? They return 4 of 5 starters (all juniors) from a team that finished 3rd and won the BET last year. So what are the general thoughts on them? Why are they so overrated (at around 4th in the league, which seemed to be the consensus from the board's standings predictions)?

I think they're being picked as overrated most often by default. Who else is there to pick, really? Most fans would agree the top 3 in some order is Nova, X, CU, so no one is really picking any of those three. Although, I've seen CU picked twice. Most projections have Seton Hall finishing 4th (some 3rd.) It's hard to be overrated when you're not picked in the top half, so there's not much to choose from. IMO, I think they'll finish no higher than 4 and no lower than 6. Whitehead could be a headache at times, but he also bailed them out so often. Is Carrington going to be the go to guy now? Is Delgado going to finally mature? Do they have any 3 PT shooting? And, Willard is still the coach.

Certainly understandable points and I'm not saying people picking them are wrong (though I think they are), I'm just wondering why people expect them to regress so much.

I don't expect (or care) to change any opinions, but I'll try to answer some of your questions:
-Yes, Carrington is likely the go-to guy.
-If nothing else, Delgado will be a monster on the boards and score via put-backs. Any other offensive skill he develops is bonus.
-As for three point shooting Desi Rodriguez is a good shooter, Carrington greatly improved towards the end of last year, and Veer Singh should have a chance to make more an impact. Also, incoming freshman Myles Powell is widely considered to be one of if not the best 3 point shooter in the 2016 freshman class.
-And Kevin Willard. He's taken plenty of deserved criticism during his tenure, but he deserves praise for what he did last year too. And him being the coach is a key reason why Seton Hall's biggest strength- it's defense- should be no different this year.
Last edited by Hall2012 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby bluejayfan00 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:02 am

I'd like some more questions answered by some of you, predictions wise.

First Team All BE: Mo Watson- CU, Marcus Foster- CU, Kelan Martin- BU, Trevon Bluiett- X, Edward Sumner- X, Josh Hart- Nova * POY

Second Team: Jalen Brunson- Nova, Khadeen Carrington- SH, Rodney Bullock- Prov, Kris Jenkins- Nova, Luke Fischer- MARQ

Third team: Marcus Lovett- STJ, L.J. Peak- GT, Kethan Savage- BU, Cole Huff- CU, Omari Spellman- Nova

Coach of the Year: Greg McDermott- Creighton

All Newcomer Team: Marcus Lovett- STJ, Marcus Foster- CU, Kethan Savage- BU, RaShid Gaston- X, Omari Spellman- Nova

Defensive Player of the Year: Edward Sumner- Xavier

Which coach has the hottest seat?: John Thompson III- Georgetown

Which coach is most likely to leave for another job offer: Wojo- Marquette
bluejayfan00

Postby Vill » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:17 am

bluejayfan00 wrote:Which coach is most likely to leave for another job offer: Wojo- Marquette

I'm not suggesting he's on the hot seat, but from what we've seen I don't think Wojo is going to have many schools courting him anytime soon.
Vill

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:23 am

1. BIG EAST Tournament Champion: Seton Hall
2. BIG EAST Regular Season Champion: Creighton
3. BIG EAST Player of the year: Marcus Foster
4. BIG EAST Freshman of the year: Kobe Paras
5. # of teams in NCAA Tournament: 6 (Creighton, SH, 'Nova, G'twn, X, Johnnies)
6. # of Sweet 16 Teams: 3 - Georgetown, 'Nova, Creighton
7. # of Elite 8 Teams: 2 'Nova, Creighton
8. # of Final 4 Teams: 1 'Nova
9. Last team standing in NCAA Tournament: 'Nova
10. Round when last team falls (or wins): FF
11. Most overrated team: Xavier
12. Most underrated team: St. Johns
13. Biggest jump (by BIG EAST standing): St. Johns
14. Biggest drop (by BIG EAST standing): Butler
15. Highest national ranking: 2 Villanova
16. # of teams to crack top 25 at any point: 7 ('Nova, X, SH, Creighton, G'twn, Butler, Marquette)
17. Most top 25 teams at the same time: 5 ('Nova, X, SH, Creighton, G'twn)
18. # of top 25 teams entering NCAA Tournament: 5
19. # of exempt tourney championships: 4 X, 'Nova, Creighton, DePaul
20. Final Conference RPI Ranking: 2
21. Most improved team: Tie btwn St. Johns/Creighton.

*Gotta give 'Nova the benefit of the doubt in the NCAAs. We all know it's about the matchups and they are a veteran team.
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby bluejayfan00 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:25 am

Vill wrote:
bluejayfan00 wrote:Which coach is most likely to leave for another job offer: Wojo- Marquette

I'm not suggesting he's on the hot seat, but from what we've seen I don't think Wojo is going to have many schools courting him anytime soon.

I don't think so either, but I think he would bolt.
bluejayfan00

Postby BigmanU » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:26 am

Vill wrote:

Agreed another season like his 1st two and his seat will be hot. The only other jobs courting him would be low majors where he could have a soft landing.
BigmanU

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:27 am

gtmoBlue wrote:1. BIG EAST Tournament Champion: Seton Hall
2. BIG EAST Regular Season Champion: Creighton
3. BIG EAST Player of the year: Marcus Foster
4. BIG EAST Freshman of the year: Kobe Paras
5. # of teams in NCAA Tournament: 6
6. # of Sweet 16 Teams: 3 - Georgetown, 'Nova, Creighton
7. # of Elite 8 Teams: 2 'Nova, Creighton
8. # of Final 4 Teams: 1 'Nova
9. Last team standing in NCAA Tournament: 'Nova
10. Round when last team falls (or wins): FF
12. Most underrated team: St. Johns
13. Biggest jump (by BIG EAST standing): St. Johns
14. Biggest drop (by BIG EAST standing): Butler
15. Highest national ranking: 2
16. # of teams to crack top 25 at any point: 7 ('Nova, X, SH, Creighton, G'twn, Butler, Marquette)
17. Most top 25 teams at the same time: 5 ('Nova, X, SH, Creighton, G'twn)
18. # of top 25 teams entering NCAA Tournament: 5
19. # of exempt tourney championships: 4 X, 'Nova, Creighton, DePaul
21. Most improved team: Tie btwn St. Johns/Creighton.

*Gotta give 'Nova the benefit of the doubt inthe NCAAs. We all know it's the matchups, and they are a veteran team.

I am excited to see if Creighton can make their first Sweet 16 this year.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby BigmanU » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:32 am

1. BIG EAST Tournament Champion: Georgetown
2. BIG EAST Regular Season Champion: Villanova
3. BIG EAST Player of the year: Hart
4. BIG EAST Freshman of the year: Ponds
5. # of teams in NCAA Tournament: 6
6. # of Sweet 16 Teams: 3
7. # of Elite 8 Teams: 2
8. # of Final 4 Teams: 0
9. Last team standing in NCAA Tournament: Creighton & Villanova
10. Round when last team falls (or wins): Elite 8
12. Most underrated team: Georgetown
13. Biggest jump (by BIG EAST standing): Georgetown
14. Biggest drop (by BIG EAST standing): Providence
15. Highest national ranking: 2 (Villanova)
16. # of teams to crack top 25 at any point: 5 (Nova, X, Creighton, Seton Hall, Georgetown)
17. Most top 25 teams at the same time: 3
18. # of top 25 teams entering NCAA Tournament: 3
19. # of exempt tourney championships: 2
BigmanU

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:34 am

I'm more excited for the 1st Big East Basketball Championship, the rest is icing on the cake. (SS-1974) ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board