Dayton

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Dayton

Postby yorost » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:07 pm

BillikensWin wrote:I just love how this season is completely written off in these discussions.

It isn't written off, but it's one season. Every program has up and down years.
yorost

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Flyer11 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:14 pm

BillikensWin wrote:I just love how this season is completely written off in these discussions.

One NCAA since 2004. SLU is going again, which makes 2 since 2011.

I get it. I wish Dayton was in your position right now. You (or your one alum) put your (or his) money where his mouth is to build an unreal arena, and Pretty Ricky put you guys on a path of possible sustainability (and I hope you guys continue your success).

However, I find it ridiculous that any Bills an would say that they are more worthy of an addition to the NBE. We have both been programs struggling to get to the top of the A-10 to where Xavier has been for a while now, and obviously, you guys have done a great job the last couple of seasons making strides. I don't know, however, if a couple of good seasons puts you in a better long-term position than Dayton (yet).

I think whichever programs get invited will do a great job competing in the NBE given the fan support and attention all of the schools have towards basketball.

Go basketball!

Flyer11
Flyer11

Postby pki1998 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:07 pm

UD_Earl wrote:Yes, St. Louis has done much better than UD the last two years. They have a good program. But BillikensWin, has St. Louis outperformed UD over the last 12-13 years. The answer is NO.

I'm sorry but if ove the long run UD is so much better than St. Louis why did they get left behind when the great Midwest and Metro merged to form CUSA? St. Louis was taken over UD then and if it comes down one or the other they should be taken over UD now.
Xavier
pki1998

Postby podcast411 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:20 pm

pki1998 wrote:
UD_Earl wrote:Yes, St. Louis has done much better than UD the last two years. They have a good program. But BillikensWin, has St. Louis outperformed UD over the last 12-13 years. The answer is NO.

I'm sorry but if ove the long run UD is so much better than St. Louis why did they get left behind when the great Midwest and Metro merged to form CUSA? St. Louis was taken over UD then and if it comes down one or the other they should be taken over UD now.

At the time of the merger Dayton's athletics overall were in shambles. Since then we have built one of the strongest non bcs athletic departments with top 25 programs the last few years in men's and women's basketball and soccer and women's volleyball.

There was also an issue with cincy totally c@ck blocking us from getting in.

That said we did not deserve it then.

But since then we have gone in 100% on athletic across the board.

I really hope it is not a question of us vs slu as I think both deserve to be added and both will be good all around members.

But Dayton's athletic department today is much much different than 15-20 years ago.
podcast411

Postby Ride Captain » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:32 pm

I'm sure it wasn't the intention of this board's founders to create another forum for pissing contests. Nothing posted here is going to change the minds of fellow posters or those making the tough decisions. Good luck to all teams that go and the one(s) left behind.
Ride Captain

Postby bostonfriar » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:44 pm

Obviously none of you have ever checked out UConn fans.
bostonfriar

Postby tman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:04 am

You can judge a program on may different levels.
The most important person in your program is the coach.
He's the face of the program.

Jim Crews , head coach @ St. Louis is a fine example of a man who should not be coaching college basketball.
While @ Evansville he forced a young chris mack (coach @ X) to throw a ball into the face of a Dayton player, not once but twice, in what is still regarded as the single greatest example of poor sportsmenship ever seen at UD Arena. And perhaps in all of college basketball.

Chris Mack was so upset @ the situation he swore never to play for Jim Crews again and he transfered to X.
Till this day coach Mack states that the week before the game coach crews let the team know they would be deploying this move.And Mack states he was following orders. Orders he strongly disagreed with.

After a seven win season @ Evansville Crews left to coach @ Army.

Army men's basketball coach Jim Crews was fired earlier this week for allegedly physically and verbally abusing players last season, several sources have confirmed to the Times Herald-Record

This from the Army AD.
“There was a series of events that led me down the path to determine that I needed to make a change in leadership of the men’s basketball program and terminate coach Crews’ contract,”

People who live in glass houses ......????
tman

Postby BillEsq » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:22 am

Children, where is this squabbling getting us. Dayton and Slu are both good programs. Neither in the past 20 years has been particularly dominant however neither at anytime has been Duquesne. Please take a step back, deep breath, and remain calm. Announcements will be forthcoming. If either SLU or Dayton do not get in the C7 their basketball programs will not end, the world will not end, and my oatmeal will still have plenty of fiber.

Why did all this ruckus get started when someone with 3 posts starts an obvious troll about hyper Dayton fans. Yes there maybe some, but hell any rational person on this board realizes that any fan base has those types, some boards are worse than others, I know alot of Dayton Alumni and personally think they are some of the most level headed bball fans I know.

To reiterate all my previous posts both Dayton and St. Louis will be fine additions to the C7, will be able to compete and have multiple pluses. Neither program will be destroyed by not getting in. I also request that you refrain from using Slu as a comparison in any reference to bash another program, SLU holds no ill will to any program other than maybe MO State.
BillEsq

Postby pki1998 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:43 am

Was at Cincinnati Music Hall for the Chieftians concert with the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra. At one point the Chieftans invited out a special guest to come play with them. The special guest was a NASA astronaut who took to of the Chieftan instruments up to the International Space Station and played them over a video link at a previous concert. During the introduction they mentioned that she was a University of Dayton Alumni. Two people three rows in front of me yelled "GO FLYERS." Listen I totally understand the astronuats are in an elite club. One should take pride that their school has produce one or more astronauts. But seriously who thinks its appropriate to yell out a cheer for your sports team at an event / venue like that? Lets just say there were more a few glares from the people infront of them.
Xavier
pki1998

Postby UD_Earl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:03 am

Hey - by pki1998 - I really don't get your point? They were just proud. You hold that against UD fans in general? I think most alums from most schools may have said something. I think your point is a petty one. UD Earl
UD_Earl

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board