Dayton

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Dayton

Postby UD_Earl » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:38 am

I suppose I am one of those delusional Dayton fans. We do love our Flyers as you love your programs. Unlike Xavier, Creighton, Richmond and St. Louis we have played for a National Championship. Ha - kinda just joking....

Ever since the Holy Alliance with Notre Dame, Marquette and DePaul and the then the Great Midwest - we have kinda been on the outside looking in. Quite deservedly I should say. Trust me when I say that we as a group are a devoted bunch of fans, but we are losing our patience with the programs development. We cannot understand why we cannot be like Gonzaga, X, or Butler. Where we move beyond a regional presence and develop a national presence. I commend those schools for what they have achieved. We as a fan base are very disappointed with The Flyers not achieving more success.

We have been alright since the mid to late 90's - but definitely not great. But when compared to Seton Hall, DePaul and Providence - we have been much much better. Really, each one of those three schools have made about 1 national run each over the last 30 or 40 years and not been extremely successful otherwise.

If Dayton is chosen, we will be a worthy opponent. We will compete. We also as a fan base hope that our inclusion will catapult the program to where in needs to be - competing on a National Level. We would owe that to the new conference.
UD_Earl

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:40 am

I feel sort of bad for ripping Dayton, I guess rants will do that.

Let me reiterate, I respect "most" Dayton fans and I have always respected their program, because they always play hard.

What I can't stand, is the fans who bash other programs. In that regard, Dayton fans seem to trump most. So, hopefully this community will attract the better fans, but so far I have seen most posts not saying how their program deserves in but rather how other programs don't deserve in.

Go Big East!
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby yorost » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:11 pm

UD_Earl wrote:We have been alright since the mid to late 90's - but definitely not great. But when compared to Seton Hall, DePaul and Providence - we have been much much better. Really, each one of those three schools have made about 1 national run each over the last 30 or 40 years and not been extremely successful otherwise.

Over the last 40 years DePaul is a stronger program than Dayton, hands down. Part of the problem is they had 4 years wiped due to sanctions in the late 80's, so that helps make it close. Even then Dayton needs the last 5, terrible, seasons to be comparing well to DePaul. The early 2000's were pretty even for the two while DePaul smokes Dayton in the 80's and 90's. Even now, I'd take DePaul over Dayton if you gave me the choice.

You're being awfully rude on Providence and Seton hall to say they're leaning on one national run in that span. In that span Seton Hall has 2 conference championships and two conference tournament championships to Dayton's two conference tournament championships. Seton Hall's were in the Big East, in case you forgot. Dayton's last sweet sixteen in was in 84, Seton Hall has managed that 4 times, since. Take away that NCAA runner up and Seton Hall still looks a lot stronger than Dayton in that time frame. Providence is a little closer when you remove their Final Four, but they still had an extra Sweet Sixteen in there.

Those 3 programs have not been as weak as people make them out to be. They get their successes, and not just on fluke runs, which I'm sure Dayton fans would be thrilled if their team had a fluke run at the NCAA title.
yorost

Postby UD_Earl » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Hey guys, not here to get in to a pissing match. All of these schools have proud histories. It is easy for all to pound their chests, as well as to rip on the not so good times of other programs. In Dayton's defense versus DePaul - outside of the Ray Meyer years, things have not been the same. That is going back a long way. DePaul is no where as relevant than it was in those days. And the city and fans DO NOT support the team. UD fans DO. At home and on the road. I miss playing DePaul year in year out. I hope we get into the new league to rekindle that rivalry. Would love to pay Marquette year in year out as well - although we have kind of owned them recently. I remember well the Dwayne Wade game at UD Arena the day after OSU beat Miami in the Football Championship. Think we won that game in overtime. And UD should have been the 3 seed in the NCAA Tourney that year, but Marquette got it and we were a 4 seed and shipped out West and lost to Tulsa in a game that started at 11 p.m. Eastern. Brutal. And who can forget Chris Wright's dunk after jumping completely over a Marquette player a couple years ago in another Flyer victory over the Warriors...errrr Golden Eagles.

Any way guys, not trying to rip on these programs. It is all in good fun. Again, if chosen, we will be a worthy rival.

UD Earl
UD_Earl

Postby BillikensWin » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:44 pm

I don't get the interest with UD. 12th best team in the A-10.

Very solid fanbase, but on the floor?
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby yorost » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:50 pm

UD_Earl wrote:Hey guys, not here to get in to a pissing match. All of these schools have proud histories. It is easy for all to pound their chests, as well as to rip on the not so good times of other programs. In Dayton's defense versus DePaul - outside of the Ray Meyer years, things have not been the same. That is going back a long way. DePaul is no where as relevant than it was in those days. And the city and fans DO NOT support the team. UD fans DO. At home and on the road. I miss playing DePaul year in year out. I hope we get into the new league to rekindle that rivalry. Would love to pay Marquette year in year out as well - although we have kind of owned them recently. I remember well the Dwayne Wade game at UD Arena the day after OSU beat Miami in the Football Championship. Think we won that game in overtime. And UD should have been the 3 seed in the NCAA Tourney that year, but Marquette got it and we were a 4 seed and shipped out West and lost to Tulsa in a game that started at 11 p.m. Eastern. Brutal. And who can forget Chris Wright's dunk after jumping completely over a Marquette player a couple years ago in another Flyer victory over the Warriors...errrr Golden Eagles.

Any way guys, not trying to rip on these programs. It is all in good fun. Again, if chosen, we will be a worthy rival.

UD Earl

I'm not ripping on Dayton, I just thought your comparison was poor. DePaul, Seton Hall, and Providence have not been so weak to say minus one title run they've been clearly weaker than Dayton over the last 30-40 years. That's just too far from reality. These programs deserve more respect than they usually get.

I like Dayton's program, Marquette fans know you're a hard place to play and can respect you for that. I wouldn't mind Dayton and Marquette playing home and homes every few years, largely because of that. I won't be upset if you're in at 12.

BillikensWin wrote:I don't get the interest with UD. 12th best team in the A-10.

Very solid fanbase, but on the floor?

One year's standings are a terrible way to look at a program. Should we toss Xavier out the window for likely missing the NCAA's this year?
yorost

Postby UD_Earl » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Too funny from a Billikins fan. Totally irrelevant in the A-10 until very recently. Not much of a Basketball history. Just lucky to be located in a Large TV Market. Other than that - not much there.

Up until the last two years, this is it:

2010-2011 12-19 6-10 Rick Majerus Atlantic 10 10th-tied First Round
2009-2010 23-13 11-5 Rick Majerus Atlantic 10 4th Quarterfinals College Basketball Invitational Runner-Up
2008-2009 18-14 8-8 Rick Majerus Atlantic 10 9th Quarterfinals
2007-2008 16-15 7-9 Rick Majerus Atlantic 10 9th-tied First Round
2006-2007 20-13 8-8 Brad Soderberg Atlantic 10 7th (tied) Semifinals
2005-2006 16-13 10-6 Brad Soderberg Atlantic 10 3rd (tied) Quarterfinals
2004-2005 9-21 6-10 Brad Soderberg Conference USA 10th First Round
2003-2004 19-13 9-7 Brad Soderberg Conference USA 6th (tied) NIT 2nd Round
2002-2003 16-14 9-7 Brad Soderberg Conference USA 4th (tied) NIT 1st Round
2001-2002 15-16 9-7 Lorenzo Romar Conference USA 5th
2000-2001 17-14 8-8 Lorenzo Romar Conference USA
1999-2000 19-14 7-9 Lorenzo Romar Conference USA Champions NCAA Round of 64

1999-00 Oliver Purnell 22-9 11-5 NCAA 1st Round
2000-01 Oliver Purnell 21-13 9-7 NIT Quarterfinals
2001-02 Oliver Purnell 21-11 10-6 NIT 1st Round
2002-03 Oliver Purnell 24-6 14-2 NCAA 1st Round Conference Tournament Champion
2003-04 Brian Gregory 24-9 12-4 NCAA 1st Round Maui Invitational Champions
2004-05 Brian Gregory 18-11 10-6
2005-06 Brian Gregory 14-17 6-10
2006-07 Brian Gregory 19-12 8-8
2007-08 Brian Gregory 23-11 8-8 NIT Quarterfinals
2008-09 Brian Gregory 27-8 11-5 NCAA 2nd Round
2009-10 Brian Gregory 25-12 8-8 NIT Champions
2010-11 Brian Gregory 22-14 7-9 NIT 1st Round

Yes, St. Louis has done much better than UD the last two years. They have a good program. But BillikensWin, has St. Louis outperformed UD over the last 12-13 years. The answer is NO.
UD_Earl

Postby UD_Earl » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:59 pm

Does this qualify me as a UD troll? Ha - just kidding.
UD_Earl

Postby BillikensWin » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:07 pm

I just love how this season is completely written off in these discussions.

One NCAA since 2004. SLU is going again, which makes 2 since 2011.
Last edited by BillikensWin on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby Edrick » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:07 pm

1 year's standings? Dayton is two games under .500 in the A10 over the last 4 years, three of those not including Butler and VCU. They have won ONE tournament game in 2 decades.

Who cares about their Internet fans, that's completely irrelevant.

It's simply not close to a high major program. It's been a fairly average mid major:
Edrick

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board