Dayton

The home for Big East hoops

Dayton

Postby DudeAnon » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:53 pm

Hello, long time listener, first time caller.

I think many have started to notice the influx of Dayton fans and that their disposition is very different than that of other Big East Hopefuls (Xavier, Creighton, SLU etc.) Sadly, this is not a temporary situation nor an outlier. Dayton has a great fanbase and supports their school adamantly. Unfortunately, this support in combination with internet anonymity creates what one might call a "troll".

Personally, I think Dayton is a good team for the new Big East because their fanbase (non-internet) is great and team always plays hard. Unfortunately, they make any type of community, including this one, miserable because of their ridiculous behavior.

Dayton has one won NCAA tourney game in 20 years and before that even hasn't accomplished much. They have had many good teams but have had bad luck and getting an "at-large" bid is hard in the A-10. Unfortunately, Dayton fans refuse to acknowledge that NCAA wins are by far the best measure of a good program. Butler, Creighton, Xavier, Richmond and SLU are being held in high regard because of their NCAA tourney runs.

Lastly, its one thing for a fanbase to be delusional about their own program (aren't we all?), its another for them to diminish every other program's accomplishments. Dayton fans will immediately pronounce that not only are they worthy of the new Big East, they are better than: Depaul, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Providence, Richmond, Creighton, SLU and if they are feeling lucky, Xavier.

Well, I hope this isn't percieved as a rant. Go to other Boards: UD-Pride, Basketballforum-A10 etc and you will see the conversations are like 3rd graders because of Dayton, whereas here you seem to have a pretty good bboard going so far. This will subsequently get ripped by Dayton fans, but remember fans, I think the "Dayton Program" should be in whereas the rest of you should be banned from the internet.

Thanks
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Dayton

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Dayton

Postby The Partisan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:48 pm

^^ Xavier fan, I assume
The Partisan - Villanova '89 - Go Cats!
The Partisan

Postby pki1998 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:11 pm

The Partisan wrote:^^ Xavier fan, I assume

I am willing to be he is a X fan as well. But seriously if you want some entertainment read UDPride. That place is hillarous!
Xavier
pki1998

Postby larymike » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:52 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Hello, long time listener, first time caller.

I think many have started to notice the influx of Dayton fans and that their disposition is very different than that of other Big East Hopefuls (Xavier, Creighton, SLU etc.) Sadly, this is not a temporary situation nor an outlier. Dayton has a great fanbase and supports their school adamantly. Unfortunately, this support in combination with internet anonymity creates what one might call a "troll".

Personally, I think Dayton is a good team for the new Big East because their fanbase (non-internet) is great and team always plays hard. Unfortunately, they make any type of community, including this one, miserable because of their ridiculous behavior.

Dayton has one won NCAA tourney game in 20 years and before that even hasn't accomplished much. They have had many good teams but have had bad luck and getting an "at-large" bid is hard in the A-10. Unfortunately, Dayton fans refuse to acknowledge that NCAA wins are by far the best measure of a good program. Butler, Creighton, Xavier, Richmond and SLU are being held in high regard because of their NCAA tourney runs.

Lastly, its one thing for a fanbase to be delusional about their own program (aren't we all?), its another for them to diminish every other program's accomplishments. Dayton fans will immediately pronounce that not only are they worthy of the new Big East, they are better than: Depaul, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Providence, Richmond, Creighton, SLU and if they are feeling lucky, Xavier.

Well, I hope this isn't percieved as a rant. Go to other Boards: UD-Pride, Basketballforum-A10 etc and you will see the conversations are like 3rd graders because of Dayton, whereas here you seem to have a pretty good bboard going so far. This will subsequently get ripped by Dayton fans, but remember fans, I think the "Dayton Program" should be in whereas the rest of you should be banned from the internet.

Thanks

UD fan here. No comment.
larymike

Postby Edrick » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:01 pm

Dayton has compiled an A10 record of 31-33 the last 4 seasons.

And will be one of 4 teams in a 16 team conference to fail to make the A10 tournament if Charlotte wins tonight.

It's just not close. A weaker A10 would be good for them
Edrick

Postby Jet915 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:04 pm

It's quite uncanny how many other teams fans really dislike Dayton. I've ventured to some BE7 boards and absolutely all of them have some huge disdain for all things Dayton. I think some of it has to do with a few of their overzealous fans but it is quite interesting.
Jet915

Postby ChiFlyer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:08 pm

I am a huge Dayton fan and I concur that UD has more than its fair share of completely disillusion fans. If UDPride were a cult it would be right in between Mormons and the Manson Family. My only explanation is that Dayton is the only show in town in Dayton. One of our strengths is that the whole community embraces the basketball team. One of the weaknesses is that the community extends way beyond the university and these nut jobs orbit around UDPride. I would guess that the demographic at UDPride is significantly older and less educated then most boards that follow college basketball. I quit years ago trying to reason with these knuckleheads. They are just awful and have very little perspective on the world. The scary part is that these idiots get to vote too.

I hope Dayton gets in. They have a ton of money (BTW, nice work on your endowment Richmond.), the fan base and facilities to compete. If I had to pick between Creighton, Richmond, SLU, and Dayton, I think Creighton is the best choice, but barely. Omaha is a cool little town. They have great facilities, Olympic sports, and fan base. The other three programs all have strengths and weaknesses, but I don't think there is a clear choice and depending how the decision makers prioritize these strengths and weaknesses, they will choose two teams.

The best thing to do is just ignore the trolls. The vast majority of Flyer fans understand the situation and are anxiously awaiting a decision like the SLU and Richmond fans. Unfortunately, a very small but vocal group of Flyers fans give the rest of us a bad name. I'm pretty sure they were given Mountain Dew instead of baby formula as babies. If Dayton doesn't get in, make sure and go to UDPride.com. Hilarity will ensue. Your jaw draw will drop at the theories and conspiracies that are presented. It will be a nice consolation prize if we don't get in.

BTW, pretty certain Dayton is in from everything I have heard as long as they go to 12.
ChiFlyer

Postby SixTwentySix » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:53 pm

ChiFlyer wrote:I am a huge Dayton fan and I concur that UD has more than its fair share of completely disillusion fans. If UDPride were a cult it would be right in between Mormons and the Manson Family. My only explanation is that Dayton is the only show in town in Dayton. One of our strengths is that the whole community embraces the basketball team. One of the weaknesses is that the community extends way beyond the university and these nut jobs orbit around UDPride. I would guess that the demographic at UDPride is significantly older and less educated then most boards that follow college basketball. I quit years ago trying to reason with these knuckleheads. They are just awful and have very little perspective on the world. The scary part is that these idiots get to vote too.

I hope Dayton gets in. They have a ton of money (BTW, nice work on your endowment Richmond.), the fan base and facilities to compete. If I had to pick between Creighton, Richmond, SLU, and Dayton, I think Creighton is the best choice, but barely. Omaha is a cool little town. They have great facilities, Olympic sports, and fan base. The other three programs all have strengths and weaknesses, but I don't think there is a clear choice and depending how the decision makers prioritize these strengths and weaknesses, they will choose two teams.

The best thing to do is just ignore the trolls. The vast majority of Flyer fans understand the situation and are anxiously awaiting a decision like the SLU and Richmond fans. Unfortunately, a very small but vocal group of Flyers fans give the rest of us a bad name. I'm pretty sure they were given Mountain Dew instead of baby formula as babies. If Dayton doesn't get in, make sure and go to UDPride.com. Hilarity will ensue. Your jaw draw will drop at the theories and conspiracies that are presented. It will be a nice consolation prize if we don't get in.

BTW, pretty certain Dayton is in from everything I have heard as long as they go to 12.

A lot of respect to you and your post ChiFlyer. Extremely well stated. It's important to keep in mind that every single school in the country has its fair share of these fans. I know I've had to move away from a few Nova fans out at a bar because I couldn't deal with it.

Any school in the mix has a shot, as you stated, and I'm excited to see who gets in regardless.

There's a fine line between passion and ignorance.
Villanova
SixTwentySix

Postby Raiderguy8 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:54 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Unfortunately, Dayton fans refuse to acknowledge that NCAA wins are by far the best measure of a good program. Butler, Creighton, Xavier, Richmond and SLU are being held in high regard because of their NCAA tourney runs.

You lose all credibility with this statement. Since 2000, Creighton has two NCAA wins, Richmond has two NCAA wins and Saint Louis has one NCAA win. Hardly deep tourney runs. Are those results overwhelmingly better than Dayton's one NCAA win? Yes, Butler and Xavier have had deep tourney runs, but Dayton is hardly competing with those two schools to get into the new conference, so the real comparisons are with the other three.

I find it funny that someone with anon on their name has any nerve calling anyone else a troll.
Raiderguy8

Postby PMThor » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:04 pm

Not me not me not me...
Always remember that you are unique; just like everyone else
PMThor

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board