Bold BE Predictions for 2016-17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Bold BE Predictions for 2016-17

Postby hoyahooligan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:30 am

Reverse 1984, 1985.

With Villanova winning the title last year they will return to the championship game this year only to be defeated by Georgetown.

BE will again have 3 FF teams with Xavier replacing St. John's.
hoyahooligan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Edrick » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:48 am

there can be no bolder prediction than forecasting that Georgetown will come through in a big spot.
Edrick

Postby BigmanU » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:24 am

marquette wrote:I guess my bold prediction is Marquette goes first four to sweet 16. I'll throw in a repeat appearance in the title game for Nova.

Am I missing something. Where is this Marquette optimism coming from. What newcomer makes the difference minus 1st Rd pick Henry E?

My Bold predictions

Villanova
Creighton
Seton Hall
Georgetown
Xavier
Butler
St. Johns
Marquette
Providence
DePaul

Xavier will be a step behind & Georgetown & St. John's step up
BigmanU

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:48 am

-Seton Hall ends its decade+ long losing streak at the Pavilion and repeats at Big East Champion
-Villanova four-peats as Regular Season Champion (not so bold) and returns to the Final Four
-The BIG EAST finishes #2 in RPI and puts 6 teams in the dance.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:59 am

Hall2012 wrote:-Seton Hall ends its decade+ long losing streak at the Pavilion

I think the Pirates have gotten the attention of the Cats enough that this will be one of the games circled on Jay's calendar. With that in mind, I think it will be a tough ask if the Cats are pissed and in the comfy confines of the Pavillion. But that's why it's bold.

It's also funny... I think that BET loss last year was the best thing that happened to Nova. We had won 12 of 13 with the only loss being at #5 X in a highly competitive game, and feeling good about ourselves. I think that loss forced the team to bring 100% focus going into the tournament. So thanks SHU...and I'd expect the team to fully "thank" those Pirates when they visit us. BTW, there's a chance that game might be at the WFC, so you might get the W but not the bold prediction right. :)
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:38 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:-Seton Hall ends its decade+ long losing streak at the Pavilion

I think the Pirates have gotten the attention of the Cats enough that this will be one of the games circled on Jay's calendar. With that in mind, I think it will be a tough ask if the Cats are pissed and in the comfy confines of the Pavillion. But that's why it's bold.

It's also funny... I think that BET loss last year was the best thing that happened to Nova. We had won 12 of 13 with the only loss being at #5 X in a highly competitive game, and feeling good about ourselves. I think that loss forced the team to bring 100% focus going into the tournament. So thanks SHU...and I'd expect the team to fully "thank" those Pirates when they visit us. BTW, there's a chance that game might be at the WFC, so you might get the W but not the bold prediction right. :)

That's exactly why it's bold. I wouldn't put money on it happening, for the reasons you mentioned and the sheer quality of this Villanova team but the Pirates are quality as well and it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility. Though they certainly won't be getting the help of a Villanova let down. If Villanova wants to play the Hall at WFC I'd sign up for it in a second as they're far more beatable there, but I expect it to be at the Pavilion.

As for last year, you're very welcome. I was absolutely pulling for Villanova in the NCAA's as I felt that it, in way, further validated Seton Hall's Big East Title Game win over the Wildcats. It definitely took some of the sting out of the disappointment against Gonzaga.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby marquette » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:32 pm

BigmanU wrote:
marquette wrote:I guess my bold prediction is Marquette goes first four to sweet 16. I'll throw in a repeat appearance in the title game for Nova.

Am I missing something. Where is this Marquette optimism coming from. What newcomer makes the difference minus 1st Rd pick Henry E?

My Bold predictions

Villanova
Creighton
Seton Hall
Georgetown
Xavier
Butler
St. Johns
Marquette
Providence
DePaul

Bold predictions, my friend. Nothing bold in predicting your team in the NIT.

Actually, as bold predictions go it is fairly achievable. We return everyone but Ellenson, admittedly the best player from last year, on a team that was something like the 6th youngest in the country last year. We add quality transfers in 6'6'' graduate transfer Katin Reinhardt who averaged 11.6 ppg at USC last year, and Andrew Rowsey who will not duplicate his 19.2 ppg from his time at UNC-Asheville but provides some much needed outside shooting. They also provide some upper classmen leadership, but our team is all a year older and reasonably intact from last season. We also have a pair of freshmen who were both top 100 recruits, but I don't expect much out of them this year. We are projected by College Sports Madness as the 69th best team in the country, just a game or two out of the tourney. The NCAA tourney is definitely not out of the question and a sweet 16 run is just a couple bounces and good nights away once you are in.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby bluejayfan00 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:16 pm

3 Big East teams make the Sweet 16. Nova, X, CU.

Greg McDermott is COY.

Marcus Foster leads the conference in scoring.
bluejayfan00

Postby Freshjive2103 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:06 pm

You lost me when you had Billy Garrett Jr. as Second Team All-Big East. He gets far too much praise. Eli Cain will be better than him this year, and his shot at an All-BE team is pretty far out.

DePaul will finish last, or tied for last. This is a team I suspect will struggle to win 3 conference games.
Freshjive2103

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:43 pm

BigmanU wrote:

My Bold predictions

Villanova
Creighton
Seton Hall
Georgetown
Xavier
Butler
St. Johns
Marquette
Providence
DePaul

There is some cautious optimism when you have 6 double digit scorers. That's a lot of offensive power returning. That's about all we have though, so if it's high efficiency offense I agree with the poster on MU's bold prediction
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board