2017 Exempt tournaments

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2017 Exempt tournaments

Postby Savannah Jay » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:48 am

whiteandblue77 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:One benefit from the split we are seeing is that only one team per conference is allowed in an exempt tournament. So for us C7 we are getting invites to tournys we never had a chance at before because of the Cuse, Pitt, Louisvilles and UConns of the previous incarnation of the Big East. I'm sure for our friends from the MVC, Horizon and A-10 the tournys that want to invite you guys have gotten better as well.

We headlined the Guardians Classic in 2002 with top-10 Notre Dame (and beat them), and are headlining it again next year (in KC)--
15 years after Kyle Korver and we're back to the same tournament and maybe the same situation, only now, as you aptly point out, we will be traveling the same distance to the tourney FROM what seems like a different UNIVERSE.

While we won that Guardians Classic in 2002, we were hardly the headliners. Notre Dame (as you mentioned), but also Mizzou and Ohio State (I think it was Matta's first year). I believe the "organizers" would have expected a Notre Dame/MIzzou final...of course, the Jays ran Missouri out of the gym and then beat ND.

If this year goes as planned, we would be a headliner next year.
Savannah Jay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:05 pm

While NJRedman makes a good point, IMO creighton has not received a bump yet for its non/conference early season tourneys. Jays have played in and won the Guardian's/CBE both times entered (2002 over ND, 2004 over THE Ohio St.). Perhaps we shall see an uptick in 2018? For those who have gotten better draws-well deserved.

PS: Whatever became of Notre Dame? Are they still playing ANY sport? Hardly ever hear anything about them since they deserted the BE.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby stever20 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:45 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:While NJRedman makes a good point, IMO creighton has not received a bump yet for its non/conference early season tourneys. Jays have played in and won the Guardian's/CBE both times entered (2002 over ND, 2004 over THE Ohio St.). Perhaps we shall see an uptick in 2018? For those who have gotten better draws-well deserved.

PS: Whatever became of Notre Dame? Are they still playing ANY sport? Hardly ever hear anything about them since they deserted the BE.

yeah, Notre Dame only made the elite 8 back to back years for the first time going to it at all since 1979. First sweet 16's for the program even since 2003. Kind of crazy to even say that.

It's an interesting point on the early season tourneys. I think 1 point on that is that there are a LOT more early season tournaments now than ever before.
stever20

Postby cu blujs » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:50 am

I think Creighton was already committed to the Wooden Legacy tournament DM3's senior year by the time the BE move came, and my guess is the last couple of years Coach probably didn't want to get in over their heads given the need to rebuild the squad into a Big East caliber team, so picked tournaments that we might have a shot at staying in the winner's bracket. I am hopeful that we are building to the point where we do regularly get into tournaments with multiple other top-tier P5 teams (defined as top half finishes in their respective leagues).
cu blujs

Postby Savannah Jay » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:04 am

Savannah Jay wrote:
whiteandblue77 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:One benefit from the split we are seeing is that only one team per conference is allowed in an exempt tournament. So for us C7 we are getting invites to tournys we never had a chance at before because of the Cuse, Pitt, Louisvilles and UConns of the previous incarnation of the Big East. I'm sure for our friends from the MVC, Horizon and A-10 the tournys that want to invite you guys have gotten better as well.

We headlined the Guardians Classic in 2002 with top-10 Notre Dame (and beat them), and are headlining it again next year (in KC)--
15 years after Kyle Korver and we're back to the same tournament and maybe the same situation, only now, as you aptly point out, we will be traveling the same distance to the tourney FROM what seems like a different UNIVERSE.

While we won that Guardians Classic in 2002, we were hardly the headliners. Notre Dame (as you mentioned), but also Mizzou and Ohio State (I think it was Matta's first year). I believe the "organizers" would have expected a Notre Dame/MIzzou final...of course, the Jays ran Missouri out of the gym and then beat ND.

If this year goes as planned, we would be a headliner next year.

Apology to whiteandblue...I was "co-mingling" my Guardians classic memories, which seems to happen a lot these days. Running Mizzou out of the gym and beating Ohio State was not 2002 but 2004. Go Jays.
Savannah Jay

Postby NJRedman » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:57 pm

Just announced SJU will play in the Advocare Invitational in 2017. Other participants are WVU, Oregon St, Nebraska, Mizzou, Long Beach St, UCF and Mairst.

We will definitely be on the opposite side of the bracket as Long Beach seeing as how we play them in a OOC game next year.

http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2016/1 ... rginia-cbb
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:40 pm

with the 2 Phil Knight tournaments some tourneys are going to be really down next year....

Advocare 1 of them as Redman just posted.....

but also look at Puerto Rico-
The Iowa State Cyclones, Florida State Seminoles, South Carolina Gamecocks, Tulsa Golden Hurricane, UTEP Miners, Illinois State Red Birds, Boise State Broncos, and Western Michigan Broncos will highlight the field
stever20

Postby AlexJesswein » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:41 am

Virginia, Seton Hall, Vanderbilt and Rhode Island headline 2017 Preseason NIT

http://www.todaysu.com/u-news/virginia- ... eason-nit/
AlexJesswein

Postby wildjays » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:36 pm

DePaul is the only Big East team without a leaked/announced exempt tourney for 2017-18 season now.
wildjays

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:22 pm

Just saw the 2k classic field is now Va Tech, Providence, Washington, and Saint Louis(not Indiana).

bleh. Va Tech should be good but the other 2 are a bunch of meh if you ask me.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board