2017 Recruiting Class Could Be The Best Yet

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2017 Recruiting Class could be the best yet

Postby billyjack » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:23 am

Thanks for putting this together adoraz. Great thread!
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:26 am

Why it's so tough to take this seriously right now.... Right now, only 54 teams have anyone. So the class rankings right now are a complete joke..... I mean Valpo is close to the top 50 right now.

Last year by this point, Big East of those 13 already had like 6 or 7 in the fold.

And of the 2017 composite top 50 just looking- only 10 are committed. Of the other 40 do you know how many are BE favorites? 2.

And what does the AAC have to do with any of this?
stever20

Postby JohnW22 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:52 pm

Xavier's 2017 class is setting up to be the best in history. But if every class worked out the way it set up to be Xavier might have a few more elite 8's :D
XU
JohnW22

Postby Chalmers0 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:06 am

Disclaimer: I don't want to come off negative because overall I am happy with where the BE is recruiting wise.

This is waaaaay too premature. I completely disagree that 25% of the class having committed is enough to judge where things are at, especially since only 7 of the Top 50 have committed. More importantly, of those 43 remaining in top 50, only 2 or 3 look like they have a decent chance of ending up in the Big East. While racking up the quantity of 4 stars is great, getting the top tier, 5 star talent is just as important. Once these top 50 guys start landing at non-BE schools, the BE schools will fall down the rankings pretty quickly.

This is the time when recruiting and commitments really heat up though so in about a month or so I'm sure the picture will look very different.
Chalmers0

Postby adoraz » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:59 am

stever20 wrote:Why it's so tough to take this seriously right now.... Right now, only 54 teams have anyone. So the class rankings right now are a complete joke..... I mean Valpo is close to the top 50 right now.

Last year by this point, Big East of those 13 already had like 6 or 7 in the fold.

And of the 2017 composite top 50 just looking- only 10 are committed. Of the other 40 do you know how many are BE favorites? 2.

And what does the AAC have to do with any of this?

So last year at this point we already has the same number of top recruits we have this year? Not sure if that's true, but even if it is, great news! We're on track to match a class with arguably the most depth. Unlike in 2015, where we followed up a strong year with our weakest year, we could be looking at consecutive strong years.

Getting back to the top players, you're using nonsense selective stats. Looking at crystal ball we are at at least 50% with three top 50s. Lonnie Walker, Paul Scruggs, Jermaine Samuels. Oh, but with Jermaine we are only at 50%! That's not the 51% majority! Doesn't count, right?

We are at 50% or higher with SEVEN 4 or 5 star recruits, and a lot of recruits have no entries yet in Crystal ball.

So whatever metric you choose, Stever, this is shaping up to be an excellent class and could (note I said could here, the same word I used in the title) be the best yet.

I mentioned AAC to pull a Stever. BTW, when I looked through the crystal ball rankings UConn should have a great class but rest of the AAC is looking like a mess.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby adoraz » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:12 am

Chalmers0 wrote:Disclaimer: I don't want to come off negative because overall I am happy with where the BE is recruiting wise.

This is waaaaay too premature. I completely disagree that 25% of the class having committed is enough to judge where things are at, especially since only 7 of the Top 50 have committed. More importantly, of those 43 remaining in top 50, only 2 or 3 look like they have a decent chance of ending up in the Big East. While racking up the quantity of 4 stars is great, getting the top tier, 5 star talent is just as important. Once these top 50 guys start landing at non-BE schools, the BE schools will fall down the rankings pretty quickly.

This is the time when recruiting and commitments really heat up though so in about a month or so I'm sure the picture will look very different.

We have a good chance with 3 top 50 (50% or higher on crystal ball). Why are some people so fixated on top 50, anyways? We only had 2 in 2016, which is an excellent class. Top recruits are defined by 4 or 5 stars. Big East usually doesn't get many the top 50 one and done caliber players, but we do very well with 50-150. With 4 and 5 stars, based on our current commitments (6) and crystal ball (see row above post), we are tracking for an excellent year.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Chalmers0 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:48 am

adoraz wrote:
Chalmers0 wrote:Disclaimer: I don't want to come off negative because overall I am happy with where the BE is recruiting wise.

We have a good chance with 3 top 50 (50% or higher on crystal ball). Why are some people so fixated on top 50, anyways? We only had 2 in 2016, which is an excellent class. Top recruits are defined by 4 or 5 stars. Big East usually doesn't get many the top 50 one and done caliber players, but we do very well with 50-150. With 4 and 5 stars, based on our current commitments (6) and crystal ball (see row above post), we are tracking for an excellent year.

First off, the crystal ball is an extremely inaccurate attention grab for 247. Although that also means we could end up with an unexpected top 50 prospect or two as well.

The main reason I referenced the Top 50 players (which I saw Stever actually beat me to) is because you are constantly referencing where the BE teams current fall in the rankings. Once these top 50 kids start committing the BE teams are going to fall quite a bit since it's very likely they won't be getting many of them. All I'm saying is that it's shaping up to be a very nice year of recruiting for the BE but I think you are overreacting based on current class rankings.
Chalmers0

Postby aughnanure » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:54 am

Jet915 wrote:Interesting observation that Marquette has had the top class 3 of last 4 years yet haven't made the NCAAs during that time....

It's pretty misleading. The 2013 and 2014 classes were pretty much destroyed by the Buzz departure. 2014 was a top 15 class before all but Cohen de-committed and now only JuJuan, Duane Wilson, and Cohen remain from those 2 years (with Fischer transferring in December 2013). The 2015 class was last year's freshmen class and 2016 hasn't yet had a practice, so not sure how much was supposed to be expected with the upper-classes decimated. In Wojo's first year, we only had 8 scholarship players during Big East play.

Also, just to clarify, Marquette made the 2013 tournament and went to the Elite 8. So its been 3 years with no NCAAs (14, 15, 16)
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”
aughnanure

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:42 am

I think everyone is too worried about Top 25/50 and how many 4-5 star guys we get. First of all, we are never going to compete with Duke & UKs for one and dones. In the immediate future, these two schools are going to get the best Top 15 kids annually. That's really OK. They've got a formula that they think will work, and we have to stick to a formula that we think will work. We just have to keep getting good to very good talent (don't need "one and done great" necessarily) and let our excellent coaches coach them up. Sprinkle in some transfers who can make immediate impacts (who are not factored in to recruiting rankings) and we get to see a more complete picture. If you look at CU Jays' recruiting classes the last 4 years, they've been decent but they don't nearly reflect the talent they'll have on the floor this year with addition of Mo W. and Foster as transfers.

Additionally if you are going to focus on who is coming in, you should also focus on who is going out. I'll compare UK & Duke to my own team, Nova. UK and Duke brought in stud PG's (Fox and Jackson), stud PF's (Giles and Adebayo), stud wings (Monk & Tatum). Now, they are going to war with those 6 as their core players for this year. Nova, conversely, is countering with Brunson (PG), Jenkins (PF) and Hart (wing). None of those 3 were ranked higher than any of the 6 from UK/Duke but I feel pretty good about competing with them this year. They're more experienced, battle-tested physically mature, more advanced BB IQ, etc. So when we look at these rankings year after year and see Duke, UK, KU, Syr, Ariz and don't highlight the guys that also leave early, what does it really matter? Ulis and Murray are no longer on UK, and Sumner and Bluett are still on X. So why are we focusing on the fact that UK is bringing in studs for 2016, and X is not. Who's in better shape in their backcourt & wings for 2016-17. I'd say X.

I get that we need to keep getting talent. We do. But I'm more concerned with having balanced teams and balanced recruiting classes. Give me a 3/4* Jr/Sr over a 5* Frosh any day.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:54 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:I think everyone is too worried about Top 25/50 and how many 4-5 star guys we get. First of all, we are never going to compete with Duke & UKs for one and dones. In the immediate future, these two schools are going to get the best Top 15 kids annually. That's really OK. They've got a formula that they think will work, and we have to stick to a formula that we think will work. We just have to keep getting good to very good talent (don't need "one and done great" necessarily) and let our excellent coaches coach them up. Sprinkle in some transfers who can make immediate impacts (who are not factored in to recruiting rankings) and we get to see a more complete picture. If you look at CU Jays' recruiting classes the last 4 years, they've been decent but they don't nearly reflect the talent they'll have on the floor this year with addition of Mo W. and Foster as transfers.

Additionally if you are going to focus on who is coming in, you should also focus on who is going out. I'll compare UK & Duke to my own team, Nova. UK and Duke brought in stud PG's (Fox and Jackson), stud PF's (Giles and Adebayo), stud wings (Monk & Tatum). Now, they are going to war with those 6 as their core players for this year. Nova, conversely, is countering with Brunson (PG), Jenkins (PF) and Hart (wing). None of those 3 were ranked higher than any of the 6 from UK/Duke but I feel pretty good about competing with them this year. They're more experienced, battle-tested physically mature, more advanced BB IQ, etc. So when we look at these rankings year after year and see Duke, UK, KU, Syr, Ariz and don't highlight the guys that also leave early, what does it really matter? Ulis and Murray are no longer on UK, and Sumner and Bluett are still on X. So why are we focusing on the fact that UK is bringing in studs for 2016, and X is not. Who's in better shape in their backcourt & wings for 2016-17. I'd say X.

I get that we need to keep getting talent. We do. But I'm more concerned with having balanced teams and balanced recruiting classes. Give me a 3/4* Jr/Sr over a 5* Frosh any day.

Alot of truth in here. There are basically 4 schools that get loads of 1 & dones: Arizona, Duke, UK and Kansas. Those 4 will dominate the top 20 every year so the rankings can be deceiving. That being said, X is looking to have its best recruiting class yet next year so I don't disagree with the OP that next year could be great. Just disagree that the current rankings reflect that.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board