2017 Recruiting Class Could Be The Best Yet

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2017 Recruiting Class Could Be The Best Yet

Postby ljay » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:51 pm

jfan wrote:
HoopDreams wrote:The rumors of Bowen to DePaul are real and not being talked about by most in recruiting circles. They are going hard after the La Lu head coach (who loves the Lincoln Park area) and the hope is he will bring Bowen. They are selling the new arena and Chicago market to Bowen and obviously the ability to be the man.
Someone on 24/7 now agrees with you!

And now they don't.
ljay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jfan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:12 pm

That pick for DePaul lasted about an hour or so. That has to be close to a record. Makes you wonder what kind of info they are using to make the picks.
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Looks like we can cross Trevon Duval off the list of potential late additions. Unfortunately, it's now hard to see SHU being much better than last year as there aren't many options remaining for a starting caliber Big East point guard.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby milksteak » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Hall2012 wrote:Looks like we can cross Trevon Duval off the list of potential late additions. Unfortunately, it's now hard to see SHU being much better than last year as there aren't many options remaining for a starting caliber Big East point guard.

Huh? Did I miss something? I expect Carrington and Delgado to both return for you guys.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:52 pm

milksteak wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:Looks like we can cross Trevon Duval off the list of potential late additions. Unfortunately, it's now hard to see SHU being much better than last year as there aren't many options remaining for a starting caliber Big East point guard.

Huh? Did I miss something? I expect Carrington and Delgado to both return for you guys.

He didn't announce yet, but he finally tipped his hand to Duke. Some insiders on the SHU boards are also suggesting the staff knows they're out.

Yes, Carrington and Delgado are expected to return, though Delgado is less certain. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that they're going to be able to fix any of their flaws from last year. There's no true point guard on the roster, meaning the options are down to getting another grad transfer or a 3-star-ish freshman that they'd have to throw straight into the fire. I can't see either scenario resulting in an upgrade from Madison Jones, who didn't exactly set the bar very high.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby milksteak » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:56 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
milksteak wrote:

He didn't announce yet, but he finally tipped his hand to Duke. Some insiders on the SHU boards are also suggesting the staff knows they're out.

Yes, Carrington and Delgado are expected to return, though Delgado is less certain. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that they're going to be able to fix any of their flaws from last year. There's no true point guard on the roster, meaning the options are down to getting another grad transfer or a 3-star-ish freshman that they'd have to throw straight into the fire. I can't see either scenario resulting in an upgrade from Madison Jones, who didn't exactly set the bar very high.

Is Carrington absolutely not an option for PG? I could've sworn he filled that role on occasion this season...
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:21 pm

milksteak wrote:Is Carrington absolutely not an option for PG? I could've sworn he filled that role on occasion this season...

He did play some point this season - both to spell Jones and boost the offense by being on the floor together with Powell. It didn't go particularly well though. Very turnover prone (including the 2 that cost us the Arkansas game in the final minute) and doesn't have a point guard's vision/ability to create for his teammates. Carrington the PG isn't half the player Carrington the SG is.

We'll probably see Carrington play some point next year (possibly even Powell too, I'm not sure if that's been considered), but I think the Hall's in trouble if that's the primary option.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby JohnW22 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:30 pm

I'd say a grad transfer is the only option and I don't see Seton Hall getting a grand slam grad transfer.
XU
JohnW22

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:50 pm

JohnW22 wrote:

I'd say a grad transfer is the only option and I don't see Seton Hall getting a grand slam grad transfer.

I tend to agree. And I don't think they need a slam dunk grad transfer to be good. With Duval, they could have been great. As long as they can pull in a serviceable player who can bring the ball up the court and run the offense, they shouldn't be any worse than last year. I just don't expect them to be too much better. Maybe if said point guard can at least shoot well enough to keep defenses honest.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby stever20 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:56 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
JohnW22 wrote:

I tend to agree. And I don't think they need a slam dunk grad transfer to be good. With Duval, they could have been great. As long as they can pull in a serviceable player who can bring the ball up the court and run the offense, they shouldn't be any worse than last year. I just don't expect them to be too much better. Maybe if said point guard can at least shoot well enough to keep defenses honest.

The problem with this is other teams are going to be much improved. So while they may be the same, relatively speaking, they're going to be worse.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board