2017 Recruiting Class Could Be The Best Yet

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2017 Recruiting Class Could Be The Best Yet

Postby Burrito » Thu May 11, 2017 8:31 am

Stever,

Where did you go to college? You've indicated that you are a fan of Georgetown. But you seem to post on every sports message board except the Hoya board.
Burrito

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed May 17, 2017 6:20 am

Good national publicity for Xavier and Providence. Creighton deserved a mention as well.

Duke and Kentucky own recruiting, but any team can make it to the next highest level – Gary Parrish, CBS Sports – May 16, 2017
That's what the 247Sports Team Rankings show us ...

But it's hard to recruit outside of the Power 5!

Really?

Then how do you explain Xavier having the nation's 10th-best class? Or Western Kentucky having the nation's 11th-best class? Or UNLV having the nation's 14th-best class? Or Providence having the nation's 17th-best class?
247Sports Team Rankings wrote:
10 - Xavier
17 – Providence
21 - Creighton
24 - Villanova
32 – Butler
39 - Seton Hall
55 – Marquette
73 - DePaul
75 - Georgetown

Red Storm Review – HLOH thread
On March 9, 2017 OmahaGuy wrote:
Getting:
*Marvin Clark (Transfer from Michigan State. 6'7 215)
*Justin Simon (Transfer from Arizona. A former 5-star. 6'5 205)

Does St. John’s have any freshmen next season?
Last edited by Fieldhouse Flyer on Wed May 17, 2017 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Xavier4036 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:00 am

stever20 wrote:I just think the AAC is far more solid than folks here want to make it out.

Wrong. No one here wants to talk about the AAC other than you.
Xavier4036

Postby Xavier4036 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:07 am

stever20 wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:My point this year with Xavier was that when the injury took place, they were only a projected 6 seed. They were only 15-6(and had just lost 4 of 5 games). When the injury with Creighton took place, they were still only projected as a 3 seed. Even with the 18-1 record. So I just don't think you can say at all that it would have been a lock for either of them to make the final 4 w/o the injuries. Could one of those teams have made the final 4? Sure. But I wouldn't have classified it as a lock at all. I think people are forgetting especially with Xavier the problems they had. Do I think Creighton would have gone further without the injury? Of course I do(esp given they lost 1st round). Do I think they would have been a lock for final 4? nope. With Xavier, you can't just assume that they're the same path they got in the NCAA tourney. Instead of them being a 11 seed, and with that path, they're probably between a 4-6 seed. Totally different animal there- especially if they're a 4/5 seed, getting one of Gonzaga, UNC, or Kansas in the RSF.

For AAC teams, Stever uses injuries as excuses why they didn't go further in NCAA tournament. For Big East teams, Stever uses injuries as the reason whya team made it as far as they did (Xavier to Elite 8). It takes some interesting mental gymnastics to get to Stever's logic.

And I just want to clarify your first sentence Stever. You say Xavier was projected a 6 seed and 15-6, and had just lost 4 of 5 games when "the injury" took place. Which injury are you talking about? The torn labrum or the torn ACL? Edmond suffered a torn labrum (shoulder) at the beginning of the 4 out of 5 game losing stretch. It was so extensive, the team considered shutting him down for the season after the UC game and he just had surgery on it Monday. So, using Stever logic, before "the injury" Xavier was 14-2.
Xavier4036

Postby Xavier4036 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:17 am

stever20 wrote:Do I think they would have been a lock for final 4? nope. With Xavier, you can't just assume that they're the same path they got in the NCAA tourney. Instead of them being a 11 seed, and with that path, they're probably between a 4-6 seed. Totally different animal there- especially if they're a 4/5 seed, getting one of Gonzaga, UNC, or Kansas in the RSF.

No one is saying Xavier would have been, without question, a Final 4 team.

What people are saying is, since all of your prognostications were wrong (very wrong) and the Big East got 7 teams, or 70% of the conference in the tournament, you decided to state repeatedly the only way this happened is because of injuries suffered to Xavier and Creighton. However, you fail to recognize that said injuries to Xavier and Creighton could have cost them deep runs in the tournament (Final 4 for example, since they made the Elite 8 without Sumner).

Now you are arguing there is no way Xavier would have made a Final 4 by talking about their KenPom and record at the time of Ed's second injury, guessing what their seed would have been and determining they could not have made it past a 1 seed. (Even though without Sumner they beat a 6 seed, 3 seed who some had in F4 and 2 seed who many had in F4). You live in the world of Stever fantasy and logic. Just say, the injuries to Creighton and Xavier helped the Big East get 7 bids because of some key wins from the middle of the pack, it also potentially cost the Big East some major runs in the tournament (Creighton to the S16 or E8 and Xavier potentially to the F4). Instead of that, we get morning mental gymnastics exercises through Stever's logic, revisionist history or usually wrong prognostications.
Xavier4036

Postby stever20 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:58 am

Xavier when the shoulder injury happened- Jan 10 was the injury date(loss to Nova). Looked at Lunardi's bracketology on Jan 12. Where are they? a 5 seed. At that point, they had all of 2 wins over teams who made the tourney- Wake Forest and Providence. You can't just automatically say because Xavier made elite 8 w/o Summer that if Summer was healthy they would have made the final 4. 2 completely independent events.

My point is simple. The statement that billyjack made "So you can't dismiss our 7 bids AND dismiss the probabilty of possibly getting Final Fours from XU and Creighton. One must be true." I'm sorry, but that's not a true statement at all. Xavier at a 4 or 5 seed did not have a high probability of making a final 4. And THAT is where they were where even the first injury took place. Creighton for as good as they were was still only a 3 seed due to a soft OOC schedule when the injury took place(before Jan 16). 3 seeds on historical average make the final 4 only 11% of the time. Elite 8 even only 24% of the time.

I think some folks want to act here like Creighton or Xavier were 1 or 2 seeds when the injuries took place. And that's not the case.

And yes. The ONLY reason why the Big East got 7 teams in the tourney was due to the injuries.....
Providence- had 2 wins over Xavier and Creighton after the injury. Was the 4th team in the tourney.
Marquette- had 4 wins over Xavier and Creighton after the injury. Was the 6th team in the tourney.

Yeah, if the injuries hadn't taken place, how many of those games do Providence or Marquette win? They didn't have much of a margin for error at all. If both teams split the games- PC going 1-1 and Marquette going 2-2, very likely BOTH miss the tourney.
stever20

Postby SJHooper » Thu May 18, 2017 7:19 am

4* Sidney Wilson committing to UConn over SJ. This has been an absolutely terrible stretch recruiting for SJ. 5 stars? Swing and miss. 4 stars? Swing and miss. 3 star guys? Swing and miss. 2 star guys? Again...swing and miss. It's officially time to put an end to the NYC area kids only experiment. NYC area kids don't want to stay local...90% of them. Dare I say it but we need more of a Lavin approach incorporated recruiting. Of course inquire about the local studs but don't rely on them. There is a middle ground. And to think that Matt A acted like he deserved a raise...he deserves a demotion if anything. We keep hearing he is so great, but great recruiters don't fail entire cycles with win now teams. Great recruiters don't miss on guys like Kante. As a SJ fan we always seem to go through rebuilding stages, then we get a few nice pieces, everyone is hopeful, and we need only 1 or 2 more pieces to be a legit tourney team but we never get them. We come so close to being relevant then we miss on the guys that will put the cherry on top. All we needed were 2 more bigs for next year whether transfer or freshman recruit. That would have put the cherry on top and likely raised us to around an 75% chance of making the tourney. Without anyone added, I'd say our chances as they stand today making the tourney are at 30%. And that's if we are healthy.

It's one thing if you don't have any PT to offer and you are going to be a bad team. We have tons of PT to offer bigs and we could be a very good team next year with extra bodies. Also, I hope UConn never gets into the ACC and we never take them. Let them continue to rot.
SJHooper

Postby Red Rooster » Thu May 18, 2017 11:37 am

SJHooper wrote:4* Sidney Wilson committing to UConn over SJ. This has been an absolutely terrible stretch recruiting for SJ. 5 stars? Swing and miss. 4 stars? Swing and miss. 3 star guys? Swing and miss. 2 star guys? Again...swing and miss. It's officially time to put an end to the NYC area kids only experiment. NYC area kids don't want to stay local...90% of them. Dare I say it but we need more of a Lavin approach incorporated recruiting. Of course inquire about the local studs but don't rely on them. There is a middle ground. And to think that Matt A acted like he deserved a raise...he deserves a demotion if anything. We keep hearing he is so great, but great recruiters don't fail entire cycles with win now teams. Great recruiters don't miss on guys like Kante. As a SJ fan we always seem to go through rebuilding stages, then we get a few nice pieces, everyone is hopeful, and we need only 1 or 2 more pieces to be a legit tourney team but we never get them. We come so close to being relevant then we miss on the guys that will put the cherry on top. All we needed were 2 more bigs for next year whether transfer or freshman recruit. That would have put the cherry on top and likely raised us to around an 75% chance of making the tourney. Without anyone added, I'd say our chances as they stand today making the tourney are at 30%. And that's if we are healthy.

It's one thing if you don't have any PT to offer and you are going to be a bad team. We have tons of PT to offer bigs and we could be a very good team next year with extra bodies. Also, I hope UConn never gets into the ACC and we never take them. Let them continue to rot.

He hasn't committed anywhere, Mr. Classless. Stop harassing recruits because you can't control your emotions due to your adolescent mind. The kid finally had enough and, finally, called you out. Do you or any others believe you're helping the school by trashing the recruiting and then hashtagging the program? You've upped the ante here by directly going after a kid we're recruiting.

Grow up and get a life!
Red Rooster

Postby FriarJ » Thu May 18, 2017 12:58 pm

stever20 wrote:Xavier when the shoulder injury happened- Jan 10 was the injury date(loss to Nova). Looked at Lunardi's bracketology on Jan 12. Where are they? a 5 seed. At that point, they had all of 2 wins over teams who made the tourney- Wake Forest and Providence. You can't just automatically say because Xavier made elite 8 w/o Summer that if Summer was healthy they would have made the final 4. 2 completely independent events.

My point is simple. The statement that billyjack made "So you can't dismiss our 7 bids AND dismiss the probabilty of possibly getting Final Fours from XU and Creighton. One must be true." I'm sorry, but that's not a true statement at all. Xavier at a 4 or 5 seed did not have a high probability of making a final 4. And THAT is where they were where even the first injury took place. Creighton for as good as they were was still only a 3 seed due to a soft OOC schedule when the injury took place(before Jan 16). 3 seeds on historical average make the final 4 only 11% of the time. Elite 8 even only 24% of the time.

I think some folks want to act here like Creighton or Xavier were 1 or 2 seeds when the injuries took place. And that's not the case.

And yes. The ONLY reason why the Big East got 7 teams in the tourney was due to the injuries.....
Providence- had 2 wins over Xavier and Creighton after the injury. Was the 4th team in the tourney.
Marquette- had 4 wins over Xavier and Creighton after the injury. Was the 6th team in the tourney.

Yeah, if the injuries hadn't taken place, how many of those games do Providence or Marquette win? They didn't have much of a margin for error at all. If both teams split the games- PC going 1-1 and Marquette going 2-2, very likely BOTH miss the tourney.

If my Aunt had nuts... Every year it's the same thing with you. It's time to accept that absolutely none of the doom and gloom you have predicted since day one has happened, not one damn thing and this year the conference appears to be loaded for bear. The 18 class will be a marvel. You really need to just stop it. This NBE is wonderful and beyond all of our hopes and dreams, why can't you just enjoy this? It makes no sense to me.
FriarJ

Postby Xudash » Thu May 18, 2017 1:27 pm

The moderators should ban this guy if they believe he's making the board more toxic. If they like the fact that his posts generate responses and thus board traffic, then so be it.

This guy has decided to spend his life, or a chunk of it, living through message boards, arguing inanely about the Big East and whatever else he argues about wherever else he argues about it. He appears to be nothing but an AAC troll disguising himself as a Georgetown fan.

He got from me what he deserved many months ago: blockage.

At the very least, it's fun knowing that everything he wants in the way of failures for the Big East not only isn't happening, but it's all going in the other, right direction.

He's like an idiot that shorts the wrong stock, only to watch it go into orbit in the other direction as his personal financial position gets whacked.
XAVIER
Xudash

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board