2017 Recruiting Class Could Be The Best Yet

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2017 Recruiting Class Could Be The Best Yet

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:35 am

Updated Scout 2017 recruiting class rankings: http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... ings?s=442

07 - Xavier
13 - Providence
18 - Creighton (should get a big bump if 18th ranked Bowen commits)
22 - Nova (doesn't include Spellman)
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby SJHooper » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:17 am

Looks like Isaac Kante (C) commitment is imminent for SJ. 6'8 230 lb big from CT. 3 stars on Scout. From everything I've heard, not going to be a star player or an offensive juggernaut, simply knows his role, rebound, block, play defense, and make layups/dunks. Sounds like exactly what we need. A kid with actual muscle and not just a stringbean that can be pushed around.
SJHooper

Postby Demon22 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Wondering if this will have any effect on Brian Bowen...

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 1221004288
Demon22

Postby SJHooper » Tue May 02, 2017 8:06 am

In a shocker, he ends up going to Georgia. He was already basically a plan D and now our plan D's are denying us and going to "basketball hotbeds" like Georgia. I have always liked Matt A and I think he does have real talent recruiting, but my guess is that after so much hype and such little results, recruits are beginning to catch on. They know we are poor at developing players especially bigs, have not won an NCAA tourney game in nearly 20 years, and have basically been dormant for the better part of the past 30 years. A SJ fan posted this somewhere and he said it best: there was the Lou era and the post Lou era. Post Lou we have done next to nothing. No one playing college hoops today ever knew us in the Lou era and many fans including myself are too young to remember that era. At some point we are going to have to win 21 games and make the tourney despite the fact we are very weak up front. Teams have been doing much better than us with far less for years now. Time to overachieve instead of underachieve, then recruiting will pick up again.
SJHooper

Postby BEXU » Fri May 05, 2017 8:47 pm

Haven't seen Stever commenting much on this thread anymore - can somebody crunch the #'s for him?
BEXU

Postby Jet915 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:31 pm

BEXU wrote:Haven't seen Stever commenting much on this thread anymore - can somebody crunch the #'s for him?

It's easy, AAC = ZERO 4/5 star 247 composite recruits.
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Fri May 05, 2017 10:31 pm

actually it's very easy....

0 5 star recruits
11 4 star recruits

no where close to the best class yet.

heck, you could make the case that of the 4 classes post expansion, based on metrics that other folks were using in this thread, that this is actually the WORST class yet....

2017- 11 4 stars
2016- 1 5 star, 12 4 stars
2015- 2 5 star, 9 4 stars
2014- 1 5 star, 16 4 stars
stever20

Postby Jet915 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:04 pm

stever20 wrote:actually it's very easy....

0 5 star recruits
11 4 star recruits

heck, you could make the case that of the 4 classes post expansion, based on metrics that other folks were using in this thread, that this is actually the WORST class yet....

2017- 11 4 stars

I remember way back when u commented on how important recruiting is to the league, care to comment on how AAC basketball recruiting is going?
Jet915

Postby adoraz » Sun May 07, 2017 3:43 pm

stever20 wrote:actually it's very easy....

0 5 star recruits
11 4 star recruits

2017- 11 4 stars

Stever, you really have a hard time grasping this concept so I'll say this one last time. The title was a possibility outlining how great recruiting was early on and the *potential* for it to be the best class. "Could be". The words are right there in the title. No, I am not expecting this to be our best class at this point, nearly a year later. However, we did have some major top 100 recruits decommit. Tremont Waters (still could recommit) and Zach Brown (enough said about this situation- not even sure if he's considered a recruit at this point). In both cases, these were good things. Georgetown needed a new coach. St. John's needed to get out of that situation. Holding on to either for the sake of a stronger class would be short sighted.

None of us have crystal balls, and nobody said this would definitely be the best class ever. Just that it was a possibility, which in itself is an accomplishment. Other conferences had a disaster year in recruiting, which was apparent early on and throughout the process.

I was correct with my main argument throughout: this recruiting class is pretty damn good. Meanwhile, your AAC is in major, major trouble but all you can think about is how the Big East didn't have its best ever year in recruiting. Maybe you just don't want to face reality.

You continue to discredit the Big East in every way possible. Only focusing on the negatives and not giving credit where it's due. It's a great class, not the best, but still great.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:15 pm

The problem with your post at the start of the year was that you failed to acknowledge that a majority of Big East Recruits sign early. So Big East is always going to be the pacer, but that's always the high point.

The thing is, looking at the metrics that you espouse, this class is the worst since the league reformed. It's not a great class. 1st class ever where no 5 stars signed.

Also, the problem is that you are seeing more and more guys signed by the p5 schools. Look at flipping Missouri's class for gosh sakes.. That's not a good development for non p5 schools. Only 8 of the top 50 classes this year are non p5. The thing that's so funny to me is folks here want to see the AAC fail, but fail to recognize if they do fail, the ones that benefit will be the P5 schools, not the Big East schools.

And the AAC is in major trouble? Going to have quite possibly 3 teams in the preseason top 25. Some major, major trouble. The problem with folks on here is that they think that the AAC is always going to be like they have. The AAC has never had a year where they've put it all together, winning a lot of the close games. In a lot of ways, they've been the complete opposite of the Big East. While Big East has had everything go absolutely right for making tourney, AAC has had almost everything go absolutely wrong. Could recruiting be better? Sure it could. But they're going to be one of the 7 top conferences this year, and quite probably going forward. It's a top 7, and then everyone else. You can see that in recruiting just this year. 10 of the 12 AAC schools have top 100 classes. CUSA has 5, MWC 4, A10 4, and then no one else more than 2. Top 80 even more pronounced. AAC with 8, CUSA 3, MWC 3, A10 2, Southland 1, Sun Belt 1. What this year has done is put the AAC as being unquestionably in the top 7.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board