2017 Recruiting Class Could Be The Best Yet

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2017 Recruiting Class could be the best yet

Postby hortle » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:06 am

stever20 wrote:even there you have only 5 top 15 recruits in the last 10 years- with 3 of them 10 classes ago. So only 2 top 15 recruits the last 9 years.

The thing that the schools like Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky are prisoner to is how good the respective freshmen classes are. When the freshmen classes are excellent, those schools are going to be very tough to beat. but when the classes are mediocre or worse, they're going to struggle like we saw some last year.

And the thing that we saw last year that probably was a blip was the top 10 type guys going to non power p5 schools. Or at least to non power p5 schools with no name coaches(guys like Pearl will get his at Auburn).

you're oversimplifying this a bit, I think. There are so many planets that have to align in regards to these one and done factory schools' success with one and dones, which in reality refers to probably less than than 7 schools. In last year's top 15 freshman class, #2 and 7 were both complete nonfactors for most of the season. #11 was a bench player, and #'s 14 and 15 had big flaws in their game and were not necessarily positives for their team most of the time. Some of these guys who didn't go to the league will become better in the future, but 5 out of the 15 were not good players on their team their first season. Its also rare for any schools not named Kentucky, Duke, or Kansas to have more than one recruit from this range. We're talking 2 players at most, there's a good chance one of them will not be a contributor more often than deadweight (not deadweight, just not a net contributor).

Many of these players will improve after its clear they aren't ready for the league. With that said, it takes an eye to pick out which guys are ready, and which guys just look really really good against high school competition. When you take a player from the top 15, there's always the chance they bolt...even if they didn't have a good season (Skal and Diallo). Some stay and and improve and help their team down the road, but many don't.
hortle

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:05 am

One thing that is crystal clear to me (regardless of how many BE teams are in the top 50 vs. the P5 schools) is that this conference is recruiting at a very high level. The message and the conference plan is working. It seems like just about every program is recruiting better than it did prior to the formation of this new league. Coincidence or does it tell us something definitive?

Stever, you might as well come clean. This is an area that 3 years ago that you and I hooked horns fairly regularly. You seemed to think that this was going to be an area that we'd struggle with. Are you willing to admit that you were wrong?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:12 am

what I said 3 years ago was that I would need to see more than just the 1st years class to say Big East recruiting was going to be ok. Folks were thinking that the 2014 class being so good meant that Big East recruiting was going to be incredible going forward.... All I said was that I would need to see more than a class where most of the work was done prior to the big east splitting apart.

This years class seems to be looking really good. I think the foibles that schools like LSU had with their big time recruits does nothing but help the Big East quite frankly.

Where the Big East IMO has improved even more than the recruiting is the transfer market. Big East getting a lot more transfers now than ever before. And high quality ones at that. To me- that's where the bb only card carries much more weight.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:36 pm

Butler just got 4 star (ranked 81 by 247) Kyle Young, beating out Ohio State.

http://247sports.com/Player/Kyle-Young-85475
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Irishdawg » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:42 pm

adoraz wrote:Now been over a full month since this topic was created- here's a look at the team rankings:

2017 Top 50:
August 25, 2016:
#7 Xavier (+30)
#9 Creighton (-2)
#24 Butler (+26)
#25 St. John's (-3)
#32 Seton Hall (-11)
#36 Villanova (-13)
#44 Providence (-18)
#50 DePaul (-12)

#57 Marquette (-14)

So overall, still 8 out of 10 teams in the top 50 with Marquette right outside. Only lost 17 spots for the entire conference. Holding very strong.

It's amazing what a couple of days and a couple of commits can make

Updated as of 8/29

#7 Xavier
#9 Creighton
#12 Villanova
#14 Butler
#29 St. John's
#35 Seton Hall
#47 Providence
#53 DePaul
#60 Marquette
NR Georgetown

Still early, and I have no doubt that Georgetown, Marquette and Providence are going to move higher on the rankings just based on their history of seemingly always pulling together good classes. Really hope that Butler can nab Wabissa Bede now and really solidify the class to be in the upper half of the league. The conference really does seem to be building something special. Hopefully this all translates to the court.
Last edited by Irishdawg on Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irishdawg

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:56 pm

stever20 wrote:what I said 3 years ago was that I would need to see more than just the 1st years class to say Big East recruiting was going to be ok. Folks were thinking that the 2014 class being so good meant that Big East recruiting was going to be incredible going forward.... All I said was that I would need to see more than a class where most of the work was done prior to the big east splitting apart.

This years class seems to be looking really good. I think the foibles that schools like LSU had with their big time recruits does nothing but help the Big East quite frankly.

Where the Big East IMO has improved even more than the recruiting is the transfer market. Big East getting a lot more transfers now than ever before. And high quality ones at that. To me- that's where the bb only card carries much more weight.

Stop with the revisionist history again Stever. Here's a direct quote from you below in March of THIS year:

"Sorry, but that differentiated advantage just isn't working. Big East hasn't seen an uptick in recruiting, if anything, it's dropped."

And another from the same thread:

If Kentucky gets the #1 player for 4 years in a row, that is better than Nova's approach. If you give me a choice of having a top 10 NBA level player for one year for 4 straight years, or a guy who might develop into what Hart is- I take the 4 years of NBA players every single time. The upside is much higher with the NBA guys, and there is no guarantee that the #70 player develops.

And another:

My position is that recruiting for the league as a whole is about equal to what it was 3-4 years ago. I don't think you can say it's trending up as a league because the numbers just don't support that.

So gun to your head...do you stand by your comments? Still think recruiting isn't up in the BE?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby milksteak » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:18 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Butler just got 4 star (ranked 81 by 247) Kyle Young, beating out Ohio State.

Gotta be our biggest coup ever. With his list, this is probably a bigger recruiting win than Joey Brunk was.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby stever20 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:20 pm

recruiting isn't way up like you want to make it seem. You can't just take the ratings right now for this year and take them seriously- over half the p5 (and Georgetown) not even with anyone yet.

Also look at 247 composite rankings from 2012....

Georgetown 17
Providence 20
Xavier 26
St John's 29
Villanova 30

5 top 30 schools.

you say well that's just 1 year...

St John's 9
Georgetown 16
Xavier 21
Villanova 25
Marquette 36
Seton Hall 45
DePaul 46

So where exactly is this uptick? Maybe for Creighton and Butler yeah- but the other schools were recruiting pretty darn well before this happened...

So no, I don't think recruiting is up exactly. But it's not down either.
stever20

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:37 pm

stever20 wrote:recruiting isn't way up like you want to make it seem. You can't just take the ratings right now for this year and take them seriously- over half the p5 (and Georgetown) not even with anyone yet.

Also look at 247 composite rankings from 2012....

Georgetown 17
Providence 20
Xavier 26
St John's 29
Villanova 30

5 top 30 schools.

you say well that's just 1 year...

St John's 9
Georgetown 16
Xavier 21
Villanova 25
Marquette 36
Seton Hall 45
DePaul 46

So where exactly is this uptick? Maybe for Creighton and Butler yeah- but the other schools were recruiting pretty darn well before this happened...

So no, I don't think recruiting is up exactly. But it's not down either.

So of the top 100 that have committed so far (38), 7 of them are to BE schools. You're right, recruiting is way down.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:38 pm

milksteak wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:Butler just got 4 star (ranked 81 by 247) Kyle Young, beating out Ohio State.

Gotta be our biggest coup ever. With his list, this is probably a bigger recruiting win than Joey Brunk was.

Congrats Bulldogs!
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board