2017 Recruiting Class Could Be The Best Yet

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2017 Recruiting Class Could Be The Best Yet

Postby Red Rooster » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:44 pm

jfan wrote:Someone has a crystal ball on 24/7 for Waters to Western Kentucky. They have a great class coming in, but I'm surprised at that prediction

Rick "The Slick" Stansbury, Shammond Williams (more than likely being the lead recruiter for Waters), and Mitchell Robinson (top 10 player in the 2017 class and Western Kentucky commit probably is also recruiting Waters).
Red Rooster

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:53 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
jfan wrote:Someone has a crystal ball on 24/7 for Waters to Western Kentucky. They have a great class coming in, but I'm surprised at that prediction

Rick "The Slick" Stansbury, Shammond Williams (more than likely being the lead recruiter for Waters), and Mitchell Robinson (top 10 player in the 2017 class and Western Kentucky commit probably is also recruiting Waters).

I've always wondered why top guys don't do like what they are doing at Western Kentucky. Go there for a year, dominate the smaller conference, make a big to do in March, then turn pro pretty much unscathed. If I were a top guy, I'd do that for sure vs going to a program like a Washington or Missouri or LSU like some of the other top guys have done here recently.
stever20

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:33 pm

Red Rooster wrote:

Waters is reportedly a top student. It would be a big step down academically to go from Georgetown to Western Kentucky. WKU isn't known as a fast track to the NBA either, nor do they play the kind of competition that would prepare a player for the NBA. I have a hard time believing that he'll end up there. But I've been fooled before. ;)
Bill Marsh

Postby Jet915 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:53 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:

Waters is reportedly a top student. It would be a big step down academically to go from Georgetown to Western Kentucky. WKU isn't known as a fast track to the NBA either, nor do they play the kind of competition that would prepare a player for the NBA. I have a hard time believing that he'll end up there. But I've been fooled before. ;)

I agree but who knows what the kids are thinking...
Jet915

Postby Red Rooster » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:

If you're capable of playing in the NBA, then they'll find you. Whether, he's playing at Western Kentucky or Kalamazoo Tech. So, your line of thinking is certainly outdated. Besides, I'm not sure Waters will ever be an NBA talent, regardless where he attends college.

Speaking of the NBA, I wouldn't doubt one bit Waters believe he is capable of playing in the NBA, so the academics is being overplayed, as typically is the case for most athletes (Especially, the one's who envision themselves playing professionally). There are power boosters at basically every school and many of those boosters will look out for former players of their alma mater's. It won't be any different for Waters, if he needed a job at some point. I think Waters have the ability to earn money professionally, but I'm not sure it'll be in the NBA (as, he could earn an excellent living playing abroad).
Red Rooster

Postby jfan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:06 pm

HoopDreams wrote:The rumors of Bowen to DePaul are real and not being talked about by most in recruiting circles. They are going hard after the La Lu head coach (who loves the Lincoln Park area) and the hope is he will bring Bowen. They are selling the new arena and Chicago market to Bowen and obviously the ability to be the man.
Someone on 24/7 now agrees with you!
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby JohnW22 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:53 pm

Is Michigan State and Arizona out of the picture for Bowen now or is it just unlikely? What's the feeing about his recruitment now?
XU
JohnW22

Postby jfan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:14 pm

I don't think anyone really knows what is going on. Just 3 days ago he said he was still down to his original final 5 (Texas, CU, Arizona, NC State and MSU) No mention of DePaul. Right now it wouldn't surprise me if he went to any of those 5 or DePaul. He might even be considering a team no one knows about. He and his family are the only ones who know what is going on. Everyone else is just guessing!
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby Jet915 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:20 pm

JohnW22 wrote:Is Michigan State and Arizona out of the picture for Bowen now or is it just unlikely? What's the feeing about his recruitment now?

Supposedly less likely since Bowen is big on playing time early on.
Jet915

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:23 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:

If you're capable of playing in the NBA, then they'll find you. Whether, he's playing at Western Kentucky or Kalamazoo Tech. So, your line of thinking is certainly outdated. Besides, I'm not sure Waters will ever be an NBA talent, regardless where he attends college.

Speaking of the NBA, I wouldn't doubt one bit Waters believe he is capable of playing in the NBA, so the academics is being overplayed, as typically is the case for most athletes (Especially, the one's who envision themselves playing professionally). There are power boosters at basically every school and many of those boosters will look out for former players of their alma mater's. It won't be any different for Waters, if he needed a job at some point. I think Waters have the ability to earn money professionally, but I'm not sure it'll be in the NBA (as, he could earn an excellent living playing abroad).

I assumed that the academics at Georgetown were a factor in his original decision. Maybe I'm wrong. Some kids actually want an education.
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board