College Sports Madness Previews

The home for Big East hoops

Re: college sports madness previews

Postby FriarsForever » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:10 am

Isaiah Jackson will start and be on the all Big East newcomer team, whatever that's called now. Also, while Holt is 6'7 he has a 7'3 wingspan and is a true center. Also you gave no mention of Maliek White, a top 150 PG.

PG-Cartwright, White, Jackson
SG-Jackson, Diallo, Edwards, Lindsey, Council
SF-Lindsey, Fazekas, Bullock, Diallo
PF-Bullock, Young, Lindsey, Fazekas
C-Holt, Young
FriarsForever

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:17 pm

FriarsForever wrote:
stever20 wrote:Providence shows up at 62- 13th team out of tourney.
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/13516

interesting point the column had towards the end- There are enough options on this team that the scoring can be much more balanced than it has been over the last couple of years.

So guessing St John's then didn't make the countdown?

Providence fans have only been saying this for about 5 or 6 months now. It's such a lazy, unfair, and dull analysis for all the experts on this board to constantly say Providence lost its two best players and because they were NBA draft picks they're definitely going to be terrible this year.
First off, I'm sorry but no team with Ed Cooley in charge will ever finish in last place in this conference. Secondly, don't give me the "they lost too much" bullsh--...they won the damn title with 6 guys and a walkon two years ago. Thirdly, this is the deepest Providence team in YEARS. Every year since Cooleys been here he's had to deal with and game plan around gaping holes in his team's personnel due to injury, transfer, academics etc. As of right now, barring any injuries, the Friars are at least 2 deep 1-5 of Big East caliber players under Ed for the first time, with a lot of interchangeable and multi-positional guys.
I'm not saying they're going to make the tournament, but they are going to be the farthest thing from a penciled-in victory on the rest of the conference's schedules.

I forgot that Ed Cooley was the second coming of John Wooden. :lol:
NJRedman

Postby hoyahooligan » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:32 pm

FriarsForever wrote:Isaiah Jackson will start and be on the all Big East newcomer team, whatever that's called now. Also, while Holt is 6'7 he has a 7'3 wingspan and is a true center. Also you gave no mention of Maliek White, a top 150 PG.

PG-Cartwright, White, Jackson
SG-Jackson, Diallo, Edwards, Lindsey, Council
SF-Lindsey, Fazekas, Bullock, Diallo
PF-Bullock, Young, Lindsey, Fazekas
C-Holt, Young

I didn't mention him because he's a true freshman that was only top 150. He'll have to see some time because there's so little depth there but not expecting much from him and expect cartwright will be forced into Cotton type minutes with out being nearly as good.
hoyahooligan

Postby FriarsForever » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:17 pm

I'd put money down on Cartwright leading the league in APG the next 2 seasons lol. This whole PC team is underrated, yet again. And no, Cooley is clearly no John Wooden, I still stand by my statement that no team coached by him will finish in last place. Guys just a winner and it rubs off on his teams. It's no use arguing, 4 years straight now, you still don't learn. To be honest I think they will finish in 6th or 7th place, which may be the majority of the boards' predictions as well, but I feel as though we have different views on how they get there. I think most of the board that feels Providence will finish in 7th believes it'll happen by getting like 6 wins against teams 8/9/10 and not being able to compete with the top. I feel like this team will be able to compete with every team in the conference, and their play will answer a lot of your questions about them rather quickly IMO. I think they'll be the type of team that goes like 17-15, but were like 9 points combined from being 21-11.
FriarsForever

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:19 am

FriarsForever wrote:I'd put money down on Cartwright leading the league in APG the next 2 seasons lol.

lol, so you're joking and he won't lead the league? Because he won't.

Arizona State comes in at 60, 7th in the Pac-12.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/13523
Wizard of Westroads

Postby FriarsForever » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:10 am

Wizard of Westroads wrote:
FriarsForever wrote:I'd put money down on Cartwright leading the league in APG the next 2 seasons lol.

lol, so you're joking and he won't lead the league? Because he won't.

Arizona State comes in at 60, 7th in the Pac-12.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/13523

See, there's no arguing. I say I'm willing to bet, you say "he won't" as if it's fact and you can see the future. So all of you guys can look into your broken crystal balls again and place Providence in 9th place, and say they have nobody blah blah blah, and they'll make you guys eat crow, again.

We'll revisit after the season. Good luck to all you guys this year. #Cartwright7APG
FriarsForever

Postby stever20 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:17 am

So with PC and Marquette in already, who do folks think is next? Butler? Georgetown? Creighton? St John's? Seton Hall? Assuming Xavier and Nova are way up the list obviously, and DePaul not on the list.
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:43 am

FriarsForever wrote:I'd put money down on Cartwright leading the league in APG the next 2 seasons lol. This whole PC team is underrated, yet again. And no, Cooley is clearly no John Wooden, I still stand by my statement that no team coached by him will finish in last place. Guys just a winner and it rubs off on his teams. It's no use arguing, 4 years straight now, you still don't learn. To be honest I think they will finish in 6th or 7th place, which may be the majority of the boards' predictions as well, but I feel as though we have different views on how they get there. I think most of the board that feels Providence will finish in 7th believes it'll happen by getting like 6 wins against teams 8/9/10 and not being able to compete with the top. I feel like this team will be able to compete with every team in the conference, and their play will answer a lot of your questions about them rather quickly IMO. I think they'll be the type of team that goes like 17-15, but were like 9 points combined from being 21-11.

Yeah with the best player the program has ever known playing 3 of those years. :lol:
NJRedman

Postby FriarsForever » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:47 pm

You're clearly unfamiliar with the history of Providence basketball, but the best college basketball player to ever play the game wore the black and white, and his name wasn't Kris Dunn (who only played 2 years btw). I'll take Jimmy, Marvin, Lenny, and Ernie over Kris Dunn.
FriarsForever

Postby NJRedman » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:45 am

FriarsForever wrote:You're clearly unfamiliar with the history of Providence basketball, but the best college basketball player to ever play the game wore the black and white, and his name wasn't Kris Dunn (who only played 2 years btw). I'll take Jimmy, Marvin, Lenny, and Ernie over Kris Dunn.

Bill Russell played for USF, Lew Alcindor and Bill Walton played for UCLA, Wilt Chamberlain played for Kansas, Oscar Robertson played for Cincy and Patrick Ewing played for Georgetown. Who is this best college basketball player you are referring to?

Also Dunn played for 3 years. 25 games in '12-'13, 4 in '13-14, 33 in '14-'15 and 33 in '15-'16. Looks like you are clearly more unfamiliar with the history of Providence basketball than I am.
NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board