Conference Realignment Thread v. 2016

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment thread v. 2016

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:46 am

mel ott wrote:Wichita State is an awful fit. I don't get his take on this at all. I would think 90% of CU fans would not want them in the conference. It's going to be interesting to see how WSU plays out now that the conference is weaker and his 4 yr stars are gone.

I agree which takes me back to my point earlier. Rasmussen was talking with someone he probably knows fairtly well from the Valley and says, "aw shucks it would sure be great if Wichita State were in the Big East wouldn't it?" Not exactly I know, but you get the drift.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby HoosierPal » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:55 am

Ackerman says no expansion. Rasmussen says it is on the May agenda for discussion. Hmmm.
HoosierPal

Postby BEwannabe » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:16 am

HoosierPal wrote:Ackerman says no expansion. Rasmussen says it is on the May agenda for discussion. Hmmm.

the expansion discussion you highlight aren't mutually exclusive. From a business standpoint I highly doubt if there is any conference meeting that doesn't have expansion on their meeting agenda. That said, just because expansion is on the agenda doesn't mean expansion is in the plans or even going to be discussed but I would guess there would be brief conversation of some nature whether it be, " is everyone in agreement our past position is our current position" and does anyone have any further to add to the discussion. AD's talk to each other, not just within the Big East but from across all conferences and regions. AD's and asst Ad's and staff all come from basically the same pool of candidates and guys that have worked at school X and in conference Y are now at school A and conference Z so there is always going to be intel available. Keeping abreast of the marketplace is good business.
BEwannabe

Postby HoosierPal » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:31 am

BEwannabe wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:Ackerman says no expansion. Rasmussen says it is on the May agenda for discussion. Hmmm.

the expansion discussion you highlight aren't mutually exclusive. From a business standpoint I highly doubt if there is any conference meeting that doesn't have expansion on their meeting agenda. That said, just because expansion is on the agenda doesn't mean expansion is in the plans or even going to be discussed but I would guess there would be brief conversation of some nature whether it be, " is everyone in agreement our past position is our current position" and does anyone have any further to add to the discussion. AD's talk to each other, not just within the Big East but from across all conferences and regions. AD's and asst Ad's and staff all come from basically the same pool of candidates and guys that have worked at school X and in conference Y are now at school A and conference Z so there is always going to be intel available. Keeping abreast of the marketplace is good business.

No, the Creighton AD is honking for Wichita State. I think there is a disconnect somewhere. Why go on record of favoring expansion, favoring WSU if your thesis is correct.
HoosierPal

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:34 am

I'm glad talks are taking place - even if they are just in the general sense. We always need to be looking at ways to improve the quality of the league, whether that's inviting new members or not.

Having said that, Wichita State has a slim chance of ever being invited to the conference and Gonzaga's travel issue would probably cause them more harm than good with being in the Big East.

Dayton and SLU are still the best options as of today - and that's why the league is not expanding right now. There's no one to add to strength and success at present.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Jet915 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:35 am

My guess is its probably always on the "agenda" but it will probably be a 5 min discussion....
Jet915

Postby mpwalsh8 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:04 pm

Jet915 wrote:

My guess is its probably always on the "agenda" but it will probably be a 5 min discussion....

Probably something like this:

Val: "Expansion update - I called UConn, they aren't ready to throw in the towel on football yet. Still holding out for a B1G or ACC invite."
B10 Presidents: All nod their head and mumble one of "meh", "whatever", "good luck with that", "ok", etc.
Val: "Next item on the agenda."
mpwalsh8

Postby DudeAnon » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:51 pm

Wait, you are telling me that the presidents (many of whom are priests) of Catholic universities might be resistant to change? Get outta here
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby whiteandblue77 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:40 pm

mpwalsh8 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:

Probably something like this:

Val: "Expansion update - I called UConn, they aren't ready to throw in the towel on football yet. Still holding out for a B1G or ACC invite."
Big East Presidents: All nod their head and mumble one of "meh", "whatever", "good luck with that", "ok", etc.
Val: "Next item on the agenda."

:lol: exactly. (fixed, btw)
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby Demon22 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:46 am

For what it's worth, I watched the Nova game on Saturday at a bar with a BC booster who was very unhappy with life in the ACC.

He says he thinks he's probably in the minority, but he doesn't see any way that BC will ever be able to compete in the upper echelon of either football or men's basketball. Says the other boosters are fooling themselves into thinking that they're just "the right hire away" from competing with Florida State or Clemson in football. Thinks they've unwittingly signed up for decades and decades of beatings on the football field and on the basketball court.

He said he was very jealous of The Big East. He says that's the kind of conference that he wishes BC was in - one where there were a bunch of schools that were roughly the same size with similar backgrounds and resources. Said if he was the AD at BC, he'd leave the ACC in a heartbeat for a conference that included Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Rutgers, UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, and one or two other schools.
Demon22

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board