Conference Realignment Thread v. 2016

The home for Big East hoops

Postby admin » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:14 pm

According to Creighton AD Bruce Rasmussen, a discussion about possible conference expansion is going to happen in May.

Creighton athletic director Bruce Rasmussen, known to Wichita State from the Bluejays’ days in the Missouri Valley Conference, said he’s pushing for Big East expansion from 10 to 12 teams and that WSU and Gonzaga would be good fits.

Rasmussen was careful to say that his opinion in these matters might not carry much weight, but that the Big East presidents and athletic directors have agreed to discuss the possibility of expansion at the conference’s annual meetings in May.

“As a part of the strategic planning exercise the Big East Conference is currently undertaking, the topic of expansion is an agenda item,” Rasmussen said in a text message. “While I do not sense a great appetite currently by Big East presidents for expansion, I personally would be an advocate for adding Gonzaga and Wichita State.”

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... 05147.html
admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Conference realignment thread v. 2016

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:24 pm

admin wrote:According to Creighton AD Bruce Rasmussen, a discussion about possible conference expansion is going to happen in May.

Creighton athletic director Bruce Rasmussen, known to Wichita State from the Bluejays’ days in the Missouri Valley Conference, said he’s pushing for Big East expansion from 10 to 12 teams and that WSU and Gonzaga would be good fits.

Rasmussen was careful to say that his opinion in these matters might not carry much weight, but that the Big East presidents and athletic directors have agreed to discuss the possibility of expansion at the conference’s annual meetings in May.

“As a part of the strategic planning exercise the Big East Conference is currently undertaking, the topic of expansion is an agenda item,” Rasmussen said in a text message. “While I do not sense a great appetite currently by Big East presidents for expansion, I personally would be an advocate for adding Gonzaga and Wichita State.”

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... 05147.html

Now that is threadworthy.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby admin » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:25 pm

I figured since it was a prominent person going on the record, it was officially time for v. 2016.
admin
Site Admin

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:27 pm

For the record, I now advocate Wichita and Dayton just too see how insane HLOH would become.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby marquette » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:27 pm

It seems like he has been the most outspoken about expansion among the conference officials.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:36 pm

really interesting that he would bring up public Wichita.
stever20

Postby ohiohsbball » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:39 pm

marquette wrote:It seems like he has been the most outspoken about expansion among the conference officials.

Probably because his school has the worst travel in the league. I'd be stunned if WSU came to the league.
ohiohsbball

Postby marquette » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:41 pm

stever20 wrote:really interesting that he would bring up public Wichita.

Yeah, if expansion becomes an inevitability I think I'd rather have VCU. Bigger alumni base, east coast school, recent success matches Wichita, new facilities, better academics, wouldn't piss off Creighton fans.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Omaha1 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:44 pm

I've read this several times and I've concluded that since he is talking to a Kansas newspaper he might be pandering to them some. I'm sure he doesn't want to make Creighton look like they're keeping WSU out the way Dayton fans think XU is screwing them.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby handdownmandown » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:40 pm

I doubt that, Ras is too smart for that. Plus who cares if one party thinks another is blackballing them?
handdownmandown

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board