Conference Realignment Thread v. 2016

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment thread v. 2016

Postby NJRedman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:58 pm

SJHooper wrote:As a SJ fan, I always knew the names Xavier, Creighton, and Butler. They just always seemed like major teams playing in mid major conferences. They were easy picks to expand. They were all routinely in the top 25 and even when they weren't they were respectable programs. St. Louis just doesn't have the brand that those schools do. They don't have that prestige. What did St. Louis have 1 or 2 good years recently? Where are they in the national picture right now? Haven't even heard a peep. I just don't see STL becoming a Big East brand. If we are going to expand the only candidates should be UConn if they drop or demote football and Gonzaga. We are in a position of strength, we don't need to dilute the league. I have a feeling that teams like Wake Forest, BC, etc. will be left out of the major football landscape and these are the teams we will have to scoop up. They literally provide nothing to their conferences and they are getting tons and tons of money with FCS level football programs. There have already been articles about how they may get pushed out of the ACC some way or another. It can happen...maybe not soon but eventually. I also don't want Dayton (not a big brand) or VCU (after Shaka they won't do nearly as much).

I was watching the Cuse v. UConn game last night on ESPN2 and the announcers talked about the glory days of the Big East and one of them jumped in and said "the Big East is still very, very good".

There are no legit articles about any ACC teams being pushed out. Not a single one from a reputable source.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:52 pm

SJHooper wrote:
I have a feeling that teams like Wake Forest, BC, etc. will be left out of the major football landscape and these are the teams we will have to scoop up. There have already been articles about how they may get pushed out of the ACC some way or another. It can happen...

No - it can't - unless the school deliberately decides to violate the ACC Constitution, and there is no incentive for any ACC team to do so.

ATLANTIC COAST CONFERENCE CONSTITUTION - Article IV. Membership
Bottom of Page 20: Section IV-4. Expulsion/Suspension/Probation of Members.

A member institution may be expelled, suspended or placed on probation by the Conference only upon the favorable
vote of three-fourths
(excluding the member under consideration) of the members. To expel means a complete severance
from the Conference in all sports. To suspend means a temporary severance under stated conditions from the Conference
in one (1) or more sports.

Among the reasons a member institution may be expelled, suspended or placed on probation for good cause is if it no
longer participates in one or more sports which are required for membership in the Conference or if the member is required
by the NCAA to discontinue such required sport because of violations of NCAA regulations or becomes incompatible with
the objectives of the Conference.

In the event of expulsion, the Conference must provide the member institution with the specific reasons for expulsion
and one year notice (on or before August 15 of any year in which event the expulsion shall be effective the following June
30). The institution will be assessed or paid a proportionate share of the fixed liabilities or assets of the Conference and will
receive a proportionate share of that year’s distribution.

In the event of suspension or probation, the Conference may enforce penalties immediately.

In any sport in which a member is ineligible for postseason play because of violations of NCAA or Conference
regulations, the member may be suspended in that sport. If suspended, the member shall not be eligible for the Conference
championship in that sport. The institution may be required to forfeit its share of any or all Conference revenues generated
by that sport.

Rich get richer in college sports as poorer schools struggle to keep up - ESPN - September 6, 2016
The nation's richest athletic departments -- those in the Power Five conferences -- pulled in a record $6 billion last year, nearly $4 billion more than all other schools combined. The gulf between college sports' haves and have-nots has never been greater.

Those of you who believe that a school will voluntarily leave a Power Five Conference (or deliberately be expelled from one) are wasting your time.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby muskienick » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:14 pm

Pretender contender for an expansion slot in the Big East, St. Louis Billikins, are being pummeled at halftime by Wichita State 36 - 9. (No! I did not leave off a digit from the front of the Bills' score.) Travis Ford has some major reconstruction to do. One poster on this board (maybe even this thread) is impressed with his recruiting prowess. He's only in his first year at St. Louis, so he better follow up that first group of recruits with three more outstanding crops if he hopes to make Billikins fans quit praying for the reincarnation of Rick Majerus!
muskienick

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:48 pm

muskienick wrote:Pretender contender for an expansion slot in the Big East, St. Louis Billikins, are being pummeled at halftime by Wichita State 36 - 9. (No! I did not leave off a digit from the front of the Bills' score.) Travis Ford has some major reconstruction to do. One poster on this board (maybe even this thread) is impressed with his recruiting prowess. He's only in his first year at St. Louis, so he better follow up that first group of recruits with three more outstanding crops if he hopes to make Billikins fans quit praying for the reincarnation of Rick Majerus!

He didn't recruit any of the players he has right now. Currently he has two 4 stars for 2017 and a 5 star for 2018. And I believe he has transfers on the way as well.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby adoraz » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:51 pm

Honestly amazing this topic is still going on.

I think we expand, but it won't be for another 5 years minimum when we start thinking of a new TV deal.

Here's the bottom line: the Big East is a top conference and should only add top teams.

What that means for 2016: only elite teams would be added, but only Gonzaga and UConn fit that criteria. Both obviously aren't good fits. Nothing will change. That is the A tier in terms of top teams and nobody else is close.

What that means for 5 years from now: Look again at the A tier and also the B tier. For A tier: Should we negotiate with the A tier teams and find common ground? Did Gonzaga win a national championship, making them a must add? Then you look at the B tier teams, how did the B tier perform recently? Did any B tier teams (Dayton, Wichita, VCU, etc) dominate their conference and make noise in the tournament? Butler/Creighton/Xavier all made a lot of noise on the court during the years leading up to expansion. Some schools like SLU are in a massive rebuild which isn't promising, so if they don't start to pick up quickly they'll be out of the discussion in no time. They can't be bad for 3-4 years before showing some promise.

Personally I think we should root for A10 teams that could be expansion candidates. VCU, Dayton, etc. Why? Because why not? We have nothing to lose by these teams performing well. We obviously aren't competing with the A10 and they'll only serve to add to our league. It is entirely possible NO A10 schools stand out, which would be a shame. For the Big East to be a power we also need to be a threat to expand. We can ask essentially any non-P5 school to join, barring UConn/Cincy/Memphis and a couple football schools we wouldn't want anyways, and they would no questions asked. No other conference would compete with us for these schools. Really, we can't lose by select teams performing well during the next 5 years.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:04 am

TAMU Eagle wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
SJHooper wrote: I have a feeling that teams like Wake Forest, BC, etc. will be left out of the major football landscape and these are the teams we will have to scoop up. They literally provide nothing to their conferences and they are getting tons and tons of money with FCS level football programs. There have already been articles about how they may get pushed out of the ACC some way or another. It can happen...maybe not soon but eventually.

How can a team get "pushed out" of a conference? Serious question. The only way that I know is if they violate the by-laws or other condition of their contract.

If a conference disbands, that's a whole other matter. Right now no one seems to be anticipating that the ACC will disband.

I'm pretty sure most conferences can vote members out

Not without cause, which doesn't include underperformance or low ratings. What would be the point of having a conference if teams could be booted?

Some conference by-lawsare available on line. You can start with the Big 12.
Bill Marsh

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:09 pm

SJHooper wrote:
As a SJ fan, I always knew the names Xavier, Creighton, and Butler.

Older St. John’s fans and New Yorkers remember the Dayton Flyers' golden years.

Dayton Flyers 2016-17 Media Guide – University of Dayton
At the bottom of page 153, the UD Media Guide wrote:
The Flyers have one of the highest win totals at Madison Square Garden in the long storied history of the venue. Dayton has won 40 games at The Garden, including 26 National Invitation Tournament games. Dayton made the NIT Final five times in the 1950s before winning the tournament in 1962.

DID YOU KNOW ? – University of Dayton
UD won more games than any other school in both the 1950’s and 1960’s.

UD won 435 games between 1950 and 1969 and ranks among the top teams of the 1950s and 1960s in Division I history. The Flyers' .763 (228-71) winning percentage in the 1950s ranks fifth in the decade. Their .729 (207-77) winning percentage ranks eighth in the 1960s.

The ESPN/Sagarin All-Time Rankings
The Top 40 Programs of Each Decade

The 1950's:

7. Dayton
29. St. John’s
34. Xavier
37. DePaul

The 1960's:
7. Dayton
10. Villanova
17. St. John’s
19. Providence

Averaging a # 7 national ranking for 20 consecutive years is a feat that no other Catholic university has ever accomplished, even if it was a long time ago.

Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Bluejay » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:45 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
Bluejay wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:What basketball struggles? UConn won a NC just 2 years ago and brought in a top recruiting class this year.

The struggles that have them at 2-4. Those struggles.

Big win over The Orange tonight. Record back to .500. Looks like those "struggles" are in the rear view mirror. :P

No doubt. Nothing spells domination by a former powerhouse like a .500 record.
Bluejay

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:47 pm

Bluejay wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
Bluejay wrote:
The struggles that have them at 2-4. Those struggles.

Big win over The Orange tonight. Record back to .500. Looks like those "struggles" are in the rear view mirror. :P

No doubt. Nothing spells domination by a former powerhouse like a .500 record.

So the choices are "struggling" or "dominating"?

Good one. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bill Marsh

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:03 pm

I don't know too much about UCONN's roster. But they only made the tournament last year because of an autobid so they weren't that good to start with.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board