Xavier, Butler, Creighton official?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Xavier, Butler, Creighton official?

Postby podcast411 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:56 pm

Edrick wrote:The only factor I can even think of that would place Dayton ahead of Richmomd is attendance. It is also the factor that doesn't benefit anyone other than Dayton. The Spiders are the correct choice for 12.

Attendance has a big effect on game day atmosphere for TV.

Also how well a school travel effects ticket sales of other schools.
podcast411

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Flyerinchicago » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:22 pm

Edrick wrote:The only factor I can even think of that would place Dayton ahead of Richmomd is attendance. It is also the factor that doesn't benefit anyone other than Dayton. The Spiders are the correct choice for 12.

I think what Edick is trying to say is that Richmond would make better "office furniture" than Dayton.
Flyerinchicago

Postby BillEsq » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:46 pm

Edrick, there are lots of reasons that Dayton is a good choice, and there a lot of reasons Richmond is good. This is why both Dayton and Richmond are have been mentioned. If after 3 months of people doing pissing contests for their respective schools are here hasn't shown you that each of these schools are probably qualified i'm not sure what will. Then again.. for you its all about the top of the C7 and it really doesn't matter who else gets in. I'm surprised Fox just didn't call you to set up the whole thing :roll:
BillEsq

Postby Jet915 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:25 am

Latest from Jersey Boy:
- Big East might announce 3 new teams next week: Butler, Xavier and Creighton
- Last two spots between Dayton, SLU and Richmond
- HQ might be Providence or D.C.
- Gavitt possible commissioner

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5608#more-5608
Jet915

Postby DawgLover » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:38 am

Hadn't heard the Gavitt talk but the first three don't add much to the conversation. Anyone who's been following this at all could have told you the first three. (Love the "might" statements--40% chance of rain today; can't be wrong either way.)

The biggest news that I took from Jersey Guy's post was the information about the legal fees. Doesn't help those of us wanting finality on the conference additions but does put in perspective a bit the incredible dollar figures that are being tossed around.
DawgLover

Postby BostonFriar11 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:25 am

It would be incredible to have Dan Gavitt as our new commissioner. Amazing basketball mind and comes from a great pedigree. His father, Dave Gavitt made Providence what it is today. And the Big East for that matter.
Providence 2011 - Long Live Huxley 299!
BostonFriar11

Postby Edrick » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:36 am

To the public including the peoe buying ad space and commercial time, the bottom of the confernece IS of less importance for the simple reason that those teams aren't going to be the ones featured on the networks. Sorry.

But, Dayton is barely competitive in the A10. It would be embarrassing to add a team that didn't even aualify for a lower conference tournament (which may happen). The fact they are in a redundant market doesn't even need to enter into the conversation. The Flyers have won 1 tournament game in 20 years. It's an egg on the face if they join.
Edrick

Postby augkash » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:20 am

Just ask the big east teams that Dayton has played how bad they been. Dayton will do great in the big east. You can't go by what has happened in the last 2 years to dayton BC they got killed BC 6 players left program when Gregory took Georgia tech job.
augkash

Postby SandstormFlyer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:24 am

BillEsq wrote:

Edrick, there are lots of reasons that Dayton is a good choice, and there a lot of reasons Richmond is good. This is why both Dayton and Richmond are have been mentioned. If after 3 months of people doing pissing contests for their respective schools are here hasn't shown you that each of these schools are probably qualified i'm not sure what will. Then again.. for you its all about the top of the C7 and it really doesn't matter who else gets in. I'm surprised Fox just didn't call you to set up the whole thing :roll:

+1

At this stage, FOX is evaluating how the new schools will spend the increased revenue brought forth from joining the new conference. If performance was more important than we'd be hearing VCU and Gonzaga's name instead of UD/UR/SLU.

Edrick, how does Richmond stack up against UD/SLU against the following:

1 - Recent performance - push
2 - Arena or plans for new arena -
3 - Olympic sports -
4 - Fan base -
5 - TV viewership -
The sea was angry that day my friends...
Dayton '03 -
SandstormFlyer

Postby augkash » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:32 am

Dayton is 10- 3 against the big east the last few years with biggest win when they knock off #3 Pitt by 25 at ud
augkash

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board