Xavier, Butler, Creighton official?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Xavier, Butler, Creighton official?

Postby Flyer11 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Masterofreality wrote:As I recall, DePaul beat Dayton in 2004 in one of the worst NCAA Tournament games ever.

Dayton couldn't even win that one.

What!? That double OT thriller!?

Just playing - it really was terrible. That was actually the first time I was introduced to Dayton on the national level. Then somehow I decided to go there 2 years later.

Anyway, there is no reason to celebrate NIT championships. It means you failed along the way, like some posters have already said.

Basically, the case for Dayton is: great fan base (that travels well and a good portion watch), great resources, and willing to spend. I get that the on-court performance has not been what Butler and X will bring to the table (not even what SLU and Creighton have done the the last couple of season.

I am hoping we get in, but get why we wouldn't as well.

Flyer11
Flyer11

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby podcast411 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:55 pm

Masterofreality wrote:As I recall, DePaul beat Dayton in 2004 in one of the worst NCAA Tournament games ever.

Hmmmm who was Dayton's coach for that game. ?
podcast411

Postby Flyer11 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:57 pm

podcast411 wrote:

Hmmmm who was Dayton's coach for that game. ?

THE Brian Gregory
Flyer11

Postby Edrick » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:58 pm

Dayton does have a strong following. Dayton was relevant a generation ago and the people who attended the school or lived in the area at the time are now in the "dispensable income" stage of their lives. The biggest problem with a graying fan base is that this people aren't there indefinitely.

Ask yourself this, for the generation of people that have seen Dayton win a single tournament game in 20 years be as likely to support at this levels as they start replacing the Sweaters?
Last edited by Edrick on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Edrick

Postby yorost » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:58 pm

Flyer11 wrote:

What!? That double OT thriller!?

Just playing - it really was terrible. That was actually the first time I was introduced to Dayton on the national level. Then somehow I decided to go there 2 years later.

Anyway, there is no reason to celebrate NIT championships. It means you failed along the way, like some posters have already said.

Basically, the case for Dayton is: great fan base (that travels well and a good portion watch), great resources, and willing to spend. I get that the on-court performance has not been what Butler and X will bring to the table (not even what SLU and Creighton have done the the last couple of season.

I am hoping we get in, but get why we wouldn't as well.

Flyer11

I wouldn't go so far as to say NO reason to celebrate an NIT. It's a nice end to a weak season and not a bad thing to mark, it just pales compared to the things it was listed against. Heck, I think I'd prefer a good preseason tournament championship over it, too.
yorost

Postby Flyer11 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:01 pm

yorost wrote:I wouldn't go so far as to say NO reason to celebrate an NIT. It's a nice end to a weak season and not a bad thing to mark, it just pales compared to the things it was listed against. Heck, I think I'd prefer a good preseason tournament championship over it, too.

Yeah, it at least means you are heading in the right direction to start the season. Dayton has already suckered me into the Maui Invitational for next year because I still have hope for next season by that time of the season.

Flyer11
Flyer11

Postby DeltaV » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:32 pm

How about we just let them play for it? Assuming we're 10 with Butler, Xavier, and Creighton for 2013, take SLU for 2014, and see if we can convince the A10 to schedule UD and UR home and home, with a rubber match in the Garden if needed. Best of three gets in.

Or, just a game in the Garden this year, so they could announce in time to get the cheaper withdrawal from the a10. Did they play this year?
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby larymike » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:16 pm

DeltaV wrote:How about we just let them play for it? Assuming we're 10 with Butler, Xavier, and Creighton for 2013, take SLU for 2014, and see if we can convince the A10 to schedule UD and UR home and home, with a rubber match in the Garden if needed. Best of three gets in.

Or, just a game in the Garden this year, so they could announce in time to get the cheaper withdrawal from the a10. Did they play this year?

Yes, UD & Richmond played this year.

It was played at UD arena:

Attendance was north of 12,300

UR 74
UD 78
larymike

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board