Xavier, Butler, Creighton official?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Xavier, Butler, Creighton official?

Postby pki1998 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:31 pm

augkash wrote:Conference champs? Or NCAA or NIT champs? I'll take any of last 2 any day

I wasn't aware that any of the discussed canidates (Butler, Creighton, Dayton, Richmond, St Louis, VCU, or Xavier) had won a NCAA tournament. I know for a fact that Xavier hasn't.

I know some old timers will say that the NIT used to be the equal of the NCAA tournament. Even if that was right, its been a long time ago. Holy Cross won the NIT back in the 50s and were still good enough to get an offer to join the Big East back in the late 70s. Does anyone really want to have Holy Cross invited into this league because they won the NIT back when it ment something?

Today is a different story, the NIT is a disappointment for any top program. If you don't believe me ask any Xavier fan what they think about the likely end of our NCAA streak. I am sure not one of them will express happiness with going to the NIT. Winning the NIT now means that you won a tournament that didn't have any of the top 40 or so teams in the counrty invited to it. Without a doubt I would rather win the Big East or the A10 regular season conference title. Because that team is better than any team in the NIT. Seriously that mighht have to be the litmus test for any team that wants to join. Ask them if winning the NIT equates to a good season. If they say yes, tell them there is no spot for them in the league. Serioulsy the NIT, whats next our people really going to start bragging about CBI or Collegeinsider.com tournament wins?
Xavier
pki1998

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:41 pm

pki1998 wrote:
augkash wrote:Conference champs? Or NCAA or NIT champs? I'll take any of last 2 any day

I wasn't aware that any of the discussed canidates (Butler, Creighton, Dayton, Richmond, St Louis, VCU, or Xavier) had won a NCAA tournament. I know for a fact that Xavier hasn't.

I know some old timers will say that the NIT used to be the equal of the NCAA tournament. Even if that was right, its been a long time ago. Holy Cross won the NIT back in the 50s and were still good enough to get an offer to join the Big East back in the late 70s. Does anyone really want to have Holy Cross invited into this league because they won the NIT back when it ment something?

Today is a different story, the NIT is a disappointment for any top program. If you don't believe me ask any Xavier fan what they think about the likely end of our NCAA streak. I am sure not one of them will express happiness with going to the NIT. Winning the NIT now means that you won a tournament that didn't have any of the top 40 or so teams in the counrty invited to it. Without a doubt I would rather win the Big East or the A10 regular season conference title. Because that team is better than any team in the NIT. Seriously that mighht have to be the litmus test for any team that wants to join. Ask them if winning the NIT equates to a good season. If they say yes, tell them there is no spot for them in the league. Serioulsy the NIT, whats next our people really going to start bragging about CBI or Collegeinsider.com tournament wins?

Yeah, I think he included NIT cause Dayton won it a few years ago. Not something I would use as debate fodder myself....

Also, some midwest talk show guy at Arch Madness just tweeted this:

Marty Tirrell ‏@martytirrell
Creighton makes it official Tuesday, leaving MVC for new-fangled Big East #ArchMadness #BigEast

Not sure if he is just blowing smoke or actually knows something.
Jet915

Postby PMThor » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:11 pm

Whens the MVC tourney over? That's why Butler and Xavier aren't announcing yet, wait until after the conference tourney. No rush.
Always remember that you are unique; just like everyone else
PMThor

Postby Jet915 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:41 pm

PMThor wrote:Whens the MVC tourney over? That's why Butler and Xavier aren't announcing yet, wait until after the conference tourney. No rush.

Creighton vs. Wichita State for the MVC Final on CBS tomorrow at 2 ET. Announcing on Tuesday sounds right, it's before the A-10 and Big East tourney and after the MVC tourney.
Jet915

Postby yorost » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:54 pm

Seriously? You'd take a NIT championship over a conference championship? You have to fail first before you can get into the NIT. No regular season champion in a strong conference is going to miss the NCAA's, and no conference tournament champion misses the NCAA's. Winning the NIT just doesn't mean as much as it did prior to ~1975, nowhere near so. It used to be strong, now it just represents winning against woefully inconsistent or unproven teams.
yorost

Postby BillikensWin » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:18 pm

NIT is a disappointment. If it isn't the NCAA, I wouldn't mention it.

NCAA has legislated one of my favorite debates out of play: "Do you turn down a bid to the NIT?"
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby Masterofreality » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:18 pm

Seriously? Pimping an NIT win as criteria for inclusion? How ridiculous. That's about as ridiculous as claiming pre-season media picked conference "championships" as a resume stuffer. Dayton has had a few of those...then more failure.

Excellence should be celebrated, not being the best of a bunch of also-rans. The New Big East is not about also-rans.

Every program has an off-year, but not "off decades". Give me programs that know how to win.
Masterofreality

Postby UD_Earl » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:24 pm

Providence, Seton Hall and DePaul? Big winners there! hypocrisy at its best!
UD_Earl

Postby yorost » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:29 pm

Yelling hypocrisy because you don't like something isn't going to get you anywhere. Those three schools were not part of the discussion.
yorost

Postby Masterofreality » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:38 pm

As I recall, DePaul beat Dayton in 2004 in one of the worst NCAA Tournament games ever.

Dayton couldn't even win that one.
Masterofreality

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board