BIG EAST & Catholic Schools Officially Announce Separation

The home for Big East hoops

Re: BIG EAST & Catholic Schools Officially Announce Separati

Postby BillEsq » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:17 pm

SpiderFan wrote:Also keep in mind that with Richmond's program starting varsity this coming fall and being part of the inaugural Atlantic Sun conference, part of the agreement with that league was that Richmond would be allowed to leave after 1 year. I don't think that was put in by us as merely happenstance. However, that may only mean we'd be in the Big East for lacrosse. Who knows, I do think its somewhat telling as a plus/indicator of our possible inclusion as an expansion target for 14/15.

I still think Richmond has a good chance... someone posted on here how many of the non-rev sports they fill out. I think people underestimate the importance of that.
BillEsq

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby SpiderFan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:30 pm

I hope we do, very excited at the possibility...but as you can tell on here and other boards we are taking a very cautious approach to all this as we don't want to get ahead of ourselves or delude ourselves either in case it does not happen.
SpiderFan

Postby SpiderFan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Also just found this, seems Fox Sports is stepping up their lacrosse inventory on their channels too. Might make sense they would get a deal with the new Big East lacrosse as well...

http://www.laxpower.com/laxnews/news.php?story=32752
SpiderFan

Postby BillEsq » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:39 pm

SpiderFan wrote:Also just found this, seems Fox Sports is stepping up their lacrosse inventory on their channels too. Might make sense they would get a deal with the new Big East lacrosse as well...

Its getting big. the Beast has a chance to the a premier basketball, the premier soccer, and then build on lacrosse. I'd hate to say it but Lacrosse is exploding in the catholic highschools where most of these c7 schools get their applicants. It is also a sport that you can easily add a men's and women's team, so it does not have to worry about title IX. Lots of money to spend... no football to spend it on....
BillEsq

Postby cm5yz6 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:46 pm

SpiderFan wrote:Also just found this, seems Fox Sports is stepping up their lacrosse inventory on their channels too. Might make sense they would get a deal with the new Big East lacrosse as well...

And with the popularity of lacrosse in the mid-atlantic and northeast, I would imagine Fox would like to add Big East lacrosse to that portfolio, which may also get to the point of Johns Hopkins exploring the possibility of joining.

A league of:

Georgetown
Villanova
St. John's
Providence
Marquette
Richmond
Johns Hopkins

would be a great core for Fox to televise (with alumni and geographics viewership) for lacrosse.
cm5yz6

Postby SixTwentySix » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:27 pm

Not sure how many of you are strictly mid-westerners, but lacrosse is big in the northeast, especially in the metro regions. It has a great following and will likely be the second highest revenue sport in the new Big East once football is gone. I hope people don't underestimate it.
Villanova
SixTwentySix

Postby podcast411 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:04 pm

SixTwentySix wrote:Not sure how many of you are strictly mid-westerners, but lacrosse is big in the northeast, especially in the metro regions. It has a great following and will likely be the second highest revenue sport in the new Big East once football is gone. I hope people don't underestimate it.

This conference will be about Basketball - Mens Basketball - that is where the decisions are made.

That much the President of GU has already stated. No other sports - Not Women's Basketball, Not Soccer, Not Baseball nor Volleyball or even Rowing - it is all about the Men's Rock. PERIOD
podcast411

Postby BillEsq » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:11 pm

podcast411 wrote:
SixTwentySix wrote:Not sure how many of you are strictly mid-westerners, but lacrosse is big in the northeast, especially in the metro regions. It has a great following and will likely be the second highest revenue sport in the new Big East once football is gone. I hope people don't underestimate it.

This conference will be about Basketball - Mens Basketball - that is where the decisions are made.

That much the President of GU has already stated. No other sports - Not Women's Basketball, Not Soccer, Not Baseball nor Volleyball or even Rowing - it is all about the Men's Rock. PERIOD

I think your taking it out of context and blowing up a quote to fit your own agenda. GU's president is also quite proud of the fact that GU has one of the highest percentages of student athletes in the nation, and to do this he needs the non rev sports.

Also i can spell it out for you even if it is all about basketball... In order to field division 1 basketball GU needs to have 7 other mens and 8 other women's sports. These other sports need leagues. These other sports also need funding. GU fields 11 mens and 11 womens plus one coed. Obviously basketball is the number one funding source for these teams. You need to then make enough money in Basketball to pay for the non-revs. In order to make money in basketball you must play competitive basketball you need to invest in the program. Therefore it is in your best interest to run productive non-revs. any non-rev that looses money takes away from the ability of the basketball program to compete, and likewise any non-rev that makes money adds to the ability of the basketball program to compete. A sport like Lacrosse is a sport that breaks even and has the potential to make profit. This helps the basketball team as it is no longer sucked dry by a money drain. Also if you can field non-revs in the same conference you don't have to worry about paying money to other conferences to support your non revs - more money saved so more money to be invested in basketball. Finally if you do have to put your non-revs in other conferences you often have to schedule these conferences teams in basketball as part of the deal of getting into the conference. By having teams in your basketball conference you gain better control of your basketball scheduling and avoid fun home and homes with NEC teams that hurt both RPI's and basketball revenue simply because you couldn't find a home for your women's field hockey team.

Therefore even if basketball means everything... you still have to take care of the non-revs... and that is why you are not an AD.
BillEsq

Postby BillEsq » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:14 pm

Lacrosse is blowing up in the Midwestern cities like St. louis, Chicago, and Milwaukee, and i assume its the same in Cincy and others...

i think Soccer will remain the second highest revenue sport... but heck i'll gladly take 3 revenue generating sports when most conferences are lucky to have 1.
BillEsq

Postby SixTwentySix » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:29 pm

podcast411 wrote:

About a 9 on the tension scale podcast. I'm fully aware this is about basketball. I'm just stating lacrosse has a big following in the Big East and it's great to see they're pursuing it. It has the potential to be a success down the road.
Villanova
SixTwentySix

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board