BIG EAST & Catholic Schools Officially Announce Separation

The home for Big East hoops

Re: BIG EAST & Catholic Schools Officially Announce Separati

Postby cm5yz6 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:46 am

That article doesn't say anything about Hopkins "joining so that the Big East can retain their auto-bid." It was just saying that they'd consider the move because of the changing environment. I'd actually say that the consideration of Hopkins is a positive sign for Richmond, showing that lacrosse is being considered. A five team lacrosse Big East league seems pretty good.
cm5yz6

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby SixTwentySix » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:14 pm

cm5yz6 wrote:That article doesn't say anything about Hopkins "joining so that the Big East can retain their auto-bid." It was just saying that they'd consider the move because of the changing environment. I'd actually say that the consideration of Hopkins is a positive sign for Richmond, showing that lacrosse is being considered. A five team lacrosse Big East league seems pretty good.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here. The new Big East will already have 5 lacrosse teams, but in order for them to retain their auto-bid to the tournament, they need a 6th. Those are NCAA rules. If they don't pick up another lacrosse school, they lose the bid for next season.

My point was... Richmond is the only school being considered that actually has a lacrosse team. So if the Big East adds Johns Hopkins as a 6th instead, it might be a sign that Richmond isn't getting an invite.
Villanova
SixTwentySix

Postby cm5yz6 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:38 pm

SixTwentySix wrote:
cm5yz6 wrote:That article doesn't say anything about Hopkins "joining so that the Big East can retain their auto-bid." It was just saying that they'd consider the move because of the changing environment. I'd actually say that the consideration of Hopkins is a positive sign for Richmond, showing that lacrosse is being considered. A five team lacrosse Big East league seems pretty good.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here. The new Big East will already have 5 lacrosse teams, but in order for them to retain their auto-bid to the tournament, they need a 6th. Those are NCAA rules. If they don't pick up another lacrosse school, they lose the bid for next season.

My point was... Richmond is the only school being considered that actually has a lacrosse team. So if the Big East adds Johns Hopkins as a 6th instead, it might be a sign that Richmond isn't getting an invite.

I meant to say a 7 team lacrosse league (with the additions of Richmond and Johns Hopkins). And I was just saying that no where in the article did it mentions that the Big East wanted Hopkins in order to keep its auto bid. The Big East could very well add them to improve the profile of the league (which in my opinion would be a great addition in so many ways for the conference), but I think the fact that they are looking at lacrosse is a positive to Richmond. Basically, I do not think they are simply adding Hopkins to maintain the autobid and there is no evidence therein that that is the case.
cm5yz6

Postby yorost » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:47 pm

I don't follow lacrosse closely, but why would John Hopkins join us? Georgetown is the only somewhat successful program we have, right? They're not even one of the great teams. Marquette is brand new and the other 3 only have limited to no success. Why would one of the top lacrosse programs want to saddle themselves to that? Wouldn't that be like Notre Dame football saying, "aw, screw it, let's join the Sun Belt."

OK, looking at it that way, why would they want to join B1G, either? I guess Maryland is going there, but their lacrosse program must be upset by the conference shift.
yorost

Postby BillEsq » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:57 pm

yorost wrote:I don't follow lacrosse closely, but why would John Hopkins join us? Georgetown is the only somewhat successful program we have, right? They're not even one of the great teams. Marquette is brand new and the other 3 only have limited to no success. Why would one of the top lacrosse programs want to saddle themselves to that? Wouldn't that be like Notre Dame football saying, "aw, screw it, let's join the Sun Belt."

OK, looking at it that way, why would they want to join B1G, either? I guess Maryland is going there, but their lacrosse program must be upset by the conference shift.

2 reasons. Once because they can... Two because they know that the BE will have a killer Fox deal and that their sports will be used as filler in the Spring Fall seasons. John Hopkins by joining in Lacrosse gets into one of the filler leagues for Fox in the Spring.
BillEsq

Postby cm5yz6 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:03 pm

yorost wrote:I don't follow lacrosse closely, but why would John Hopkins join us? Georgetown is the only somewhat successful program we have, right? They're not even one of the great teams. Marquette is brand new and the other 3 only have limited to no success. Why would one of the top lacrosse programs want to saddle themselves to that? Wouldn't that be like Notre Dame football saying, "aw, screw it, let's join the Sun Belt."

I think its getting to the point that they are going to need to be in a conference soon, and with the Big East not supporting football, lacrosse will likely be a significant presence at these schools n coming years (as lacrosse is expected to grow exponentially). Also, the travel isn't too bad (excluding Marquette). Johns Hopkins is afraid that without an auto-bid option, they may get squeezed out so they can play in the Big East and win that auto-bid.

Note: I am not much of a lacrosse fan, but i have a feeling its going to have a popularity surge in the next decade or so on the collegiate level as the premier Spring college sport.
cm5yz6

Postby BillEsq » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:12 pm

Yeah, I know with the money a lot of the + teams will be adding lacrosse. I figure with Hopkins will be going up to 12 pretty quick. I know rumor is SLU is hoping to add a M&W. Maybe Bellarmine could get in for a western division team.
BillEsq

Postby yorost » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:14 pm

I think it's on its way up, too, so I want the Big East to continue to sponsor lacrosse. It's a fun sport to watch, and the few times I've been able to play it I thought it was a lot of fun. I'm very glad Marquette picked it up. If John Hopkins wants to join us it'll be great for us.
yorost

Postby BillEsq » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:28 pm

yorost wrote:I think it's on its way up, too, so I want the Big East to continue to sponsor lacrosse. It's a fun sport to watch, and the few times I've been able to play it I thought it was a lot of fun. I'm very glad Marquette picked it up. If John Hopkins wants to join us it'll be great for us.

Lacrosse is a must. It is like soccer a sport that breaks even plus, the target students that most of these schools look for are familiar with lacrosse and playing it.

But if Marquette was an immediate midwest Partner Bellarmine University has a D 1 team that i'm sure we could move out of the ECAC. You could be playing at the wonderful, new 2,000 seat Frazier stadium. http://athletics.bellarmine.edu/sports/ ... facilities

It will also allow any big east school the chance to compete against a school that has won a national championship in basketball this century :lol:
BillEsq

Postby SpiderFan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:13 pm

Also keep in mind that with Richmond's program starting varsity this coming fall and being part of the inaugural Atlantic Sun conference, part of the agreement with that league was that Richmond would be allowed to leave after 1 year. I don't think that was put in by us as merely happenstance. However, that may only mean we'd be in the Big East for lacrosse. Who knows, I do think its somewhat telling as a plus/indicator of our possible inclusion as an expansion target for 14/15.
SpiderFan

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board